Could Barta force KF's hand?

Hawkcrush

Honest question here. Does KF have total control over hiring and firing assistants? If not could GB cut off some of the heads and put a strangle hold on KF to force his hand a little--putting his guys in place. I don't really have any confidence that any real change will happen of KF's own vollition. This would not be a great situation--but Florida State seems to be doing ok after making a verry tough uncomfotable change. Perhaps nothing can really be done due to how KF's contract is structured if so GB would have to be the worst negotiator ever--to give up total control of someting that ulimatley lays at his feet. I would just like to say that I have total respect for the job KF has done, but if you can't see a change is needed you are either related to KF or have extremely low expectations.

Of course he can....he is the boss of the Athletics department. While AD's don't usually hire/fire assistants, they have the authority to do so.

There are all kinds of things Barta can do to force Kirk's hand. But he won't. I don't think Barta had the cajones. Worse, I don't believe he is even the least bit unhappy with Kirk.

Of course he can....he is the boss of the Athletics department. While AD's don't usually hire/fire assistants, they have the authority to do so.

There are all kinds of things Barta can do to force Kirk's hand. But he won't. I don't think Barta had the cajones. Worse, I don't believe he is even the least bit unhappy with Kirk.

I'm no Barta fan but I think the blinders have been taken off.

Force his hand where exactly? Why the need for force, aren't they still dating?

***Sorry, that ball was teed up too perfectly to leave alone*** :)

Kirk would laugh at Gary if he so much as talked about such a thing. And though I like your suggestion who's Gary gonna hand pick to come in and ruffle the continuity that Kirk has (and he's got this train running downhill fast)? I can't imagine a scenario where this would work. Kirk would ostracize the hell outta this hire and thus make it another waste of funds. I'd love for the whole damn staff to be canned and thus make Kirk think completely outside the box.

Honest question here. Does KF have total control over hiring and firing assistants? If not could GB cut off some of the heads and put a strangle hold on KF to force his hand a little--putting his guys in place. I don't really have any confidence that any real change will happen of KF's own vollition. This would not be a great situation--but Florida State seems to be doing ok after making a verry tough uncomfotable change. Perhaps nothing can really be done due to how KF's contract is structured if so GB would have to be the worst negotiator ever--to give up total control of someting that ulimatley lays at his feet. I would just like to say that I have total respect for the job KF has done, but if you can't see a change is needed you are either related to KF or have extremely low expectations.

It would be like if Bush 43 had fired Dickless Cheney.

Agree with phan00....I'm afraid that PC Iowa would take the "We don't treat people that way at Iowa" stance and insist that KF maintain some sort of high ranking position....KF as AD would be a DISASTER!!! It would be nothing but hiring weak HC's that he could micromanage and force to adopt his boring and dated philosophies.

I think Barta is supposed to be the man in charge of reviewing Brian F's job performance, as having his dad do it would appear inappropriate. I imagine Kirk would not be happy if Brian were let go or demoted.

Many problems with the method of an AD firing assistants...

1) Barta does not see the problem
2) What assistants would come in to replace them (hint: not very good ones)
3) If it worked and it forced KF to resign, we would have a difficult time finding a great coach who would want to work for an AD who did that.

Barta's real tough when it comes to dealing with women's coaches in non revenue sports. Outside of that realm, he's a push over.
Wasn't there a woman in oversight of women's coaches in non-revenue sports (which, by the way, is a redundancy).

No. I bet Bartas dog doesnt even listen to him.

Ferentz is going to say that Iowa lost four games by a combined total of fifteen points, and they have a lot of younger guys that really developed but haven't seen the field yet. He is going to say how close they were to an outstanding year. Barta isn't going to fire Ferentz. Actually, I can see a lot of reasons Barta wouldn't want to fire Ferentz. Barta is a pretty conservative guy too. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't fun to watch.

Ferentz is going to say that Iowa lost four games by a combined total of fifteen points, and they have a lot of younger guys that really developed but haven't seen the field yet. He is going to say how close they were to an outstanding year. Barta isn't going to fire Ferentz. Actually, I can see a lot of reasons Barta wouldn't want to fire Ferentz. Barta is a pretty conservative guy too. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't fun to watch.
Sadly. You are straight on, Prophet Tierney.

The problem with dumping some assistants and keeping Ferentz is that how good of one can you get to replace them? They'd be coming to a program where who knows how many days Ferentz has left... The assistants here now have to have one eye looking around to cover their own you know what just in case...

Davis may leave on his own because he's in his mid 60s and I don't think he had a ton of fun this year and I doubt he sees next year being a whole lot better.. So they may be replacing him. But I don't see Phil Parker going anywhere else on his own. He and Morgan have been with Kirk since day 1 so they will go down with the ship rather then look for another job first. Brian of course he stays. But the younger coaches like Woods Kennedy and White.... They may be looking around and probably should just in case the heat gets too hot under Bartas collar and he has no choice but to fire Kirk.

I don't see Barta doing it unless the boosters and fan base just about all but demand it and that's possible. So we'll see. The problem is I don't trust Barta in hiring the next coach either so it's such a crap shoot. In a perfect world both he and Ferentz are gone and the AD at Arkansas comes up and brings Brett Bielema with him.. But that's a pie in the sky thing at this point. Most likely we get ground hogs day only it's for the entire year again...

-------If it worked and it forced KF to resign, we would have a difficult time finding a great coach who would want to work for an AD who did that.

This is a VERY tired excuse that I've heard for years now. ALL coaches know the deal...impatient schools fire coaches 2 and 3x quicker than Iowa ever thinks about, and they still get decent replacements. Was Harbaugh worried about how quick Hoke got the ax? Any decent coach looking at the record of KF for the last 4 years could reason that Iowa has been MORE than fair and patient.

Sitting here daydreaming........ Barta goes out and finds Kirks replacement and fires Davis as the OC and tells the new OC that he will be Kirks replacement once Kirk is gone. Barta then calls a joint meeting with the new OC and Kirk. He tells Kirk in that meeting that from now on the OC calls all the shots offensively and that Kirk has no say over it at all. That includes all aspects of deciding when to punt or kicking field goals. Kirk is not to recruit anyone anymore just greet the prospective recruits. He could even hire a new DC and tell the new DC that Kirk has absolutely no say in the defense or recruiting. Kirk ask what he is suppose to do and Gary tells him you can stand on the sideline and chew bubble gum for the next six years or leave on your own......... Yawn......waking up from my daydream....... Maybe I will win the lottery too.

Latest posts