Cooper Still waiting

longtimer

Didn't go in first round as all media projected. I assume he will go early in second round but that will cost him millions. So whats the deal?

Injury may have hurt him. A lot,of offensive players taken in first round including QBs and WRs. 3 DBs taken and 2 were rated above him
I always thought his overall speed was an issue at CB. But he ran a really fast 40 in Workouts. I think he may be better suited at Safety??

Should he have stayed? Maybe but he was projected first round and i'm not sure he could have shown anything more than he did in a great career at Iowa

He will still make millions assuming he gets chosen soon. And then it's up to him. Hey look at Jewell, Campbell and Laporta just to mention a few

NFL always downgrade IA's because backfield because they don't play press coverage. Then every player outperforms their draft contract.

Also, D improvements were de-emphasized yesterday.

NFL always downgrade IA's because backfield because they don't play press coverage. Then every player outperforms their draft contract.

Also, D improvements were de-emphasized yesterday.
23 out of 32 selections last night were offensive players.

In 2023 there were 15 offensive 1st rounders, and in 2022 there were also 15. Just bad luck.

23 out of 32 picks leaves 9...I love CDJ and he's going to do great things and make 8 figures over his career, but he's not a top 10 defensive player in this year's draft. He'll be fine.

You always make your money on the 2nd contract. You lose a little now but as a 2nd the team can’t add that 5th year. He’s fine, he’s just a tweener.

Some team is going to look back on this saying "We got a steal". Cooper is going to end up getting paid, but it's more that they will feel fortunate he was still available in the early 2nd round.

I could see the Bills or Pats taking him.

The injury cost him is my thinking.

But the draft is such a crap shoot.

However Cooper was rated the highest CB in the draft and the 24th best since 1987 by the RAS score.

Some team is going to look back on this saying "We got a steal". Cooper is going to end up getting paid, but it's more that they will feel fortunate he was still available in the early 2nd round.

I could see the Bills or Pats taking him.

I like him on the Bills...seems like a good environment for Hawkeyes.

The injury cost him is my thinking.

But the draft is such a crap shoot.

However Cooper was rated the highest CB in the draft and the 24th best since 1987 by the RAS score.
I think his race did... I still think he's better then 2 of the 3 corners taken over him so far. That one kid from Bama ran a slow 4.5 40 and is like 10 lbs lighter then him. He showed he was healthy in his pro day deal you mentioned if teams try saying that's dropped him it's an excuse. He's fine.

Nobody wanted to take him high and put all the white cornerback expectations on him so if he ends up not that great that they'd have to answer to that sort of thing...

Only good thing about this for Cooper is he'll be able to get to his 2nd contract a yr sooner and if he can play well and stay healthy he can get paid faster and that's where the real $ always is anyway.

The 49ers really Fd up not taking him. They took a WR who'll be the 4th one on their roster atm if they don't trade away someone. They have a need for a DB/safety. Cooper would'da been the perfect versatile fit. It's not as dumb as what the Falcons did taking Penix but it's still a pretty dumb roster move decision if you ask me.

Last edited:
I think his race did... I still think he's better then 2 of the 3 corners taken over him so far. That one kid from Bama ran a slow 4.5 40 and is like 10 lbs lighter then him. He showed he was healthy in his pro day deal you mentioned if teams try saying that's dropped him it's an excuse. He's fine.

Nobody wanted to take him high and put all the white cornerback expectations on him so if he ends up not that great that they'd have to answer to that sort of thing...

Only good thing about this for Cooper is he'll be able to get to his 2nd contract a yr sooner and if he can play well and stay healthy he can get paid faster and that's where the real $ always is anyway.

The 49ers really Fd up not taking him. They took a WR who'll be the 4th one on their roster atm if they don't trade away someone. They have a need for a DB/safety. Cooper would'da been the perfect versatile fit. It's not as dumb as what the Falcons did taking Penix but it's still a pretty dumb roster move decision if you ask me.
As a 49ers fan, I completely agree. You can get a great WR in any draft -- why draft for something you may need 2 years from now when you can draft immediate help at a position of need, plus get a punt return and kickoff return guy in the deal at no extra cost?

As a 49ers fan, I completely agree. You can get a great WR in any draft -- why draft for something you may need 2 years from now when you can draft immediate help at a position of need, plus get a punt return and kickoff return guy in the deal at no extra cost?
It seems illogical as all get out to me... ATL did it to a worse degree with what they did. But I don't care about them being idiots. I wished the 9ers woulda helped themselves.

I think they're trading either Aiyuck or Deebo soon!

I think they're trading either Aiyuck or Deebo soon!
There's rumors of it but 9ers always like to ask for too much and often don't get anything done. They don't have to move either of them yet they have the leverage on them both. I don't see either holding out. So I'll be surprised if they deal either of them. But who knows we'll see

The 49ers have been one of the most talented teams in the NFL over the past several years. John Lynch knows what he is doing.