Cool NFL Draft vs Recruiting Ranking Matrix, Good for Iowa

I agree about the relevance of this information & I am glad to see it becoming more mainstream. This is something I’ve watched for 5 plus years and every time some Iowa fan tried to pooh-pooh our recruiting or some rival fan tried to suggest the Big 10 was talent poor, I have marched this out.

As you can see Iowa isn’t alone in the Big 10 at being very efficient and proficient in their recruiting. The Big 10 has far and away the 2nd most NFL alumni behind the SEC and it is fairly close (30 or so players) so the fallacy that the SEC is way more talented and way better recruiters is just that. In fact I think you could seriously make the case that the “rankings” are skewed away from the Midwestern kids and towards the Southern kids.

Chad

It would take a lot of extra work, but it seems like there should be some weighting applied to the NFL draft picks. In other words, a first round NFL draft pick should be given more weight than a late round draft pick. I would guess that this would strengthen the correlation between recruiting ranks and # of draftees, and reduce the # of outliers.
that would be too subjective because no one could agree on the weighting. This scale is actually more informative

I agree about the relevance of this information & I am glad to see it becoming more mainstream. This is something I’ve watched for 5 plus years and every time some Iowa fan tried to pooh-pooh our recruiting or some rival fan tried to suggest the Big 10 was talent poor, I have marched this out.

As you can see Iowa isn’t alone in the Big 10 at being very efficient and proficient in their recruiting. The Big 10 has far and away the 2nd most NFL alumni behind the SEC and it is fairly close (30 or so players) so the fallacy that the SEC is way more talented and way better recruiters is just that. In fact I think you could seriously make the case that the “rankingsâ€￾ are skewed away from the Midwestern kids and towards the Southern kids.

Chad

So it's a fallacy that the SEC wins the title every year? It's a fallacy that the Iron Bowl is the defacto championship game while the Ohio State Michigan game has become a joke?

If anything, they skew the stuff to make the Midwestern players look better. That's why Notre Dame and Ohio State always have top 10 classes, but get their ***** handed to them whenever they step outside of the Big 10 to play big boy football (unless the NCAA lets uneligible players in the Sugar Bowl).

So it's a fallacy that the SEC wins the title every year? It's a fallacy that the Iron Bowl is the defacto championship game while the Ohio State Michigan game has become a joke?

If anything, they skew the stuff to make the Midwestern players look better. That's why Notre Dame and Ohio State always have top 10 classes, but get their ***** handed to them whenever they step outside of the Big 10 to play big boy football (unless the NCAA lets uneligible players in the Sugar Bowl).

The Iron Bowl is the de facto championship game? Are you kidding me? If Alabama won that game this year, they weren't even going to be in the NCG, much less win it. Same goes for Auburn in 2009. The national champion won that game in each of the past two years. But the loser wouldn't have been in the NCG if the scores were reversed. So it is in no way a de facto championship game.

And yet nothing was mentioned about NC's by me. I clearly said talent and nothing about "titles".....

More importantly I have some pretty sound evidence in this very thread not presnted by me to make my claim, you on the other hand have nothing.

Chad

That was a great read, and a link I will save for a long time to reference when needed. Nice work, cfbmatrix!

And you should indeed visit the great Kinnick Stadium for an awesome gameday experience. I am sure you'd be invited to many tailgates if you give us a few days notice.

Interesting stuff cfbmatrix. Have you seen another take on this that just came out, The best (and worst) college programs and conferences at developing recruits into NFL players - Black Heart Gold Pants?

The basic idea is the same but the style of the analysis is different. The benefit is that they are able to put a number on how much a recruits draft chances are improved by various programs. Iowa is the third best development program in the land, and adds 69% to a recruits chances of being drafted! :D

Also compares the conferences, and the Big Ten ends up looking mighty good.

I did see i and at first was a bit annoyed with the title and write up 3 days after I published mine. LOL

However, I did read it and the idea is good and like mine you can take whatever you want from it. I would have just preferred it to include all AQ teams and to touch on some non AW for comparison. I think it should have also included rankings 1-120 from scout, rivals and ESPN. i am a bit biased in that manner as I use all with a weighted average since each show some possible bias for conferences, teams or regions.

I promise to post the Iowa team page and analysis and predictors this week. I am also looking for some local (to the campus) Hawks to help me out with a 'live' project. Email me at dave@cfbmatrix.com if interested.

-Dave

Latest posts