Cool Bowl Game Stat I Just Found:

hawkfaninTX

6-3 under Ferentz- with our only bowl losses coming to teams that came off of a National Championship (2006 Texas won BCS in '05) or would go on to win the next BCS Championship (2002 USC finished #1 in the final rankings in '03; and 2005 Florida would go on to win the '06 National Championship.)

Our next opponent will not be Oregon or Auburn; so that leaves the team we draw this year will have to go on to play in the 2012 BCS championship game for us to lose- but teams like SMU and A&M or whoever will not be good enough next year.

Interesting, Right?

6-3 under Ferentz- with our only bowl losses coming to teams that came off of a National Championship (2006 Texas won BCS in '05) or would go on to win the next BCS Championship (2002 USC finished #1 in the final rankings in '03; and 2005 Florida would go on to win the '06 National Championship.)

Our next opponent will not be Oregon or Auburn; so that leaves the team we draw this year will have to go on to play in the 2012 BCS championship game for us to lose- but teams like SMU and A&M or whoever will not be good enough next year.

Interesting, Right?
Why would we want to hear anything other than how BAD we really are? Forget the 9,10 and 11 win seasons...Forget the BCS bowl appearances and bowl wins...Forget the top ten finishes and top 20 recruiting classes.....;)

Iowa also beat the 2004 LSU Tigers who were coming off a NC the year before. That kind of throws off your stat a bit.

Outside of the 2009 Outback Bowl Iowa has had very tough draws in the bowl games. South Carolina had no business being in Tampa that year. Good Lord, they were pathetic.

Have to give Kirk credit, his bowl record and his teams' performances have been good. Outside of USC and the first half against Florida in 2006 Outback Iowa has been ready to play.

But its going to be pretty hard to get too many people fired up about Kirk's bowl record now when Iowa is on its way to the "Everyone Deserves a Ribbon" Bowl for a second year in a row.

So you're saying that teams Iowa plays in bowl games are either coming off better seasons than Iowa or went on to have better seasons than Iowa the following year?

In other words, if we can play them in the lesser tier bowls, why didn't we play them in their national title years?

So you're saying that teams Iowa plays in bowl games are either coming off better seasons than Iowa or went on to have better seasons than Iowa the following year?

In other words, if we can play them in the lesser tier bowls, why didn't we play them in their national title years?

I didn't even come close to saying that. What I Said was- Iowa has lost 3 bowl games under Ferentz, those three teams (USC 2002, 2005 Florida, & Texas 2006) either won the BCS Title the year before (Texas 2006) or went on to win the BCS title the following year (2002 USC, 2005 Florida).

And pointed out earlier in the thread, we won one of these type games vs LSU.

Actually I wasn't. That team was NOT very good. Did you see the midget they had playing opposite Clayborn?

Sure, they had all-World D Thomas, but they didn't have a QB to get it to him. They ran a gimmicky offense that worked in a weak ACC. Derrick Morgan and Dwyer were also good, but overall the talent was not there. The gimmick offense worked for that year, but that was about it.

That same team had a losing record the next year.

Of the BCS bowl teams, it was clearly between Cinci and GTech for the weakest squad.

It was a very fortunate draw for the Hawks. I had a great time at the game and glad to see a Hawk Orange Bowl win, but this was not your Father's Orange Bowl.

That Orange Bowl game sure seems like a long long time ago doesn't it and getting longer. And the previous Orange Bowl game even longer. But let's all talk about those games and forget the many underachieving seasons that this staff has accomplished. We might as well talk about our last Orange Bowl game because it is going to be a long long time before we are back in one of those games.

That Orange Bowl game sure seems like a long long time ago doesn't it and getting longer. And the previous Orange Bowl game even longer. But let's all talk about those games and forget the many underachieving seasons that this staff has accomplished. We might as well talk about our last Orange Bowl game because it is going to be a long long time before we are back in one of those games.

That's nothing but speculation.

Iowa very well could play Auburn in the Gator Bowl who won the BCS last year. However, Gator may want to pair OSU/FL if Urban Myth Meyer takes the OSU job.

Ya, Kirk actually learned from the USC Orange Bowl and changed his approach to bowl games. I still remember the week leading up to that game. Every time you saw the Hawks, they were on the beach screwing around as opposed to USC which when they showed them, they were in practice, working hard. But since then, it's all business until after the game. Or so it seems. I think he came out and talked about that too. And not to drudge up bad memories, but we all know that the florida and texas losses had alot to do with certain calls.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBroOeFWlN8&feature=related]Worst Officiating in College Football History.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

@birney

I agree with what you said, and it was a very important part of Ferentz developing as a Head Coach which some people think he cannot do. He also has now developed his first QB drafted into the NFL just a half year ago.

Latest posts