Cook's Development

Title should be Cook's NON development. Fran needs to take his kids and head on down the road to a MAC school. He is out of his league here. This many years in, and he can't recruit a PG, can't recruit athletes, and boasts a whopping .500 conference record. Big deal.
Fran is eerily sounding like Alford, playing his "successes" to the fan base, with snark, astounded that anyone would question how amazing he is as a coach. The two have two things in common = Overrated based on results. Overrating how important they think they are in the scheme of life.

Title should be Cook's NON development. Fran needs to take his kids and head on down the road to a MAC school. He is out of his league here. This many years in, and he can't recruit a PG, can't recruit athletes, and boasts a whopping .500 conference record. Big deal.

The Jim Jones IOWA Kool Aid drinkers will disagree with your assessment. There is very little to do in Iowa so if you put a team of any kind on the hardwoods or football turf they will come. Don't have to win because Iowa fans have nothing better to do with their time. Stupid is as stupid does.

I've come to the conclusion that the powers that be at the University of Iowa are a bunch of prudes who could careless about winning athletics. As long as they get their BIG pay checks they are giddy as hell all the way to the bank. They need to be grabbed in the hallways and given a big ole snuggy and then dumped upside down in a trash can to put their nerd selves in check. :eek: NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p:p:p:D

I agree that the lack of player development is a factor in late season swoons, it is very rare that a player comes out of high school with straight to NBA skill sets. Having said that, we are never going to see that type of player at Iowa, we have to hope the players we recruit will get better on their own it seems, and I just haven't seen that happen. It is almost like the philosophy is getting players that have a skill set to play in the system, let them play for 3-4 years, and hope it all meshes together. It came close this year, as it has in past years, but the desire to keep progressing just evaporates eventually if the necessary ingredient to establish cohesiveness is lacking.

Ricky Davis

Also people like to say we will NEVER be a tier 1 program. As recently as the 80s we were, and you could argue the 90s. When Davis exited only 16 other programs had visited the dance more often than Iowa.

The Jim Jones IOWA Kool Aid drinkers will disagree with your assessment. There is very little to do in Iowa so if you put a team of any kind on the hardwoods or football turf they will come. Don't have to win because Iowa fans have nothing better to do with their time. Stupid is as stupid does.

I've come to the conclusion that the powers that be at the University of Iowa are a bunch of prudes who could careless about winning athletics. As long as they get their BIG pay checks they are giddy as hell all the way to the bank. They need to be grabbed in the hallways and given a big ole snuggy and then dumped upside down in a trash can to put their nerd selves in check. :eek: NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p:p:p:D
Forrest and Lute disagree with this assessment

Ricky Davis

Also people like to say we will NEVER be a tier 1 program. As recently as the 80s we were, and you could argue the 90s. When Davis exited only 16 other programs had visited the dance more often than Iowa.

Yeah, I remember Ricky Davis- unless I am having a complete mental lapse, he and Dean Oliver came in together but Davis went pro after one year. And, as I recall, he was a great scorer in the pro's but drifted from team to team.

Yes, I guess once in awhile, we do get some talent, but sure seems to be rare.

Forrest and Lute disagree with this assessment

Sad that we have to go back that far. Did t have the BTN dishing out 60 million a year to undeserving sports programs to support under achieving coaches.

Your main source of revenue was TV revenue and if you weren’t highly successful you were sad out of luck and usually out the door. Now with the BTN gifting each university in the conference the pressure is off the AD and coaches. Pay for performance at the University of Iowa no longer exist. Now is pay for just showing up. Fat cat says meow.

Ay, there's the rub.
Seldom in the Davis era did seniors play the Dom Uhl role. Instead they steadily developed and usually finished their Iowa careers playing their best basketball, whether it was Acie Earl, Russ Millard, Jim Bartles, or John Carter.

Davis had a lot of shortcomings as a bench coach and as an in game strategist. But he generally took good care of his seniors.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember Ricky Davis- unless I am having a complete mental lapse, he and Dean Oliver came in together but Davis went pro after one year. And, as I recall, he was a great scorer in the pro's but drifted from team to team.

Yes, I guess once in awhile, we do get some talent, but sure seems to be rare.
That Davis was in the NBA all those years was more of an indictment of the NBA than of Davis. He was a selfish, undisciplined, poor defensive player. It's no wonder be bounced all over the league, or that he was seldom on championship contenders. He was the Tom Chambers of guards/small forwards. And his game had more empty calories than a Golden Corral buffet.

It is no question. As posted, many times, Cook is the most misused 4 in the history of Iowa basketball.

The things he was allowed to do and / or was schemed to do have been an egregious mismatch of skill set to strategy and have undermined his personal success, as well as the success of this team.

This late season collapse is just more evidence of what I've said for years - this Staff wanders between misunderstanding and complete ineptitude when it comes to coaching, developing and utilizing bigs.
TC = 2018 FB TE's

Things that make you go hmmmmm

Lord knows I'm not sticking up for Fran but the coaches can only do so much. You can only tell them what they need to work on and how to do it, so many times before the player has to be willing to listen and put in the right kind of work. Now, having seen Connor/Patrick's jump shot....I kinda understand why Cook can't shoot.

Sad that we have to go back that far. Did t have the BTN dishing out 60 million a year to undeserving sports programs to support under achieving coaches.

Your main source of revenue was TV revenue and if you weren’t highly successful you were sad out of luck and usually out the door. Now with the BTN gifting each university in the conference the pressure is off the AD and coaches. Pay for performance at the University of Iowa no longer exist. Now is pay for just showing up. Fat cat says meow.
This is the truth.

Cook has a couple holes in his game that are so big he wouldn't have been able to develope no matter where he went. He has really bad hands and really bad reaction time. Those weren't going to get better from coaching.

You can put me in this camp as well. Seems like something that should have been addressed long before he stepped foot on the Iowa campus. @NikeHawk21 made the point in another thread and I think he was correct when he stated that Cook never really learned how to play.

I do not know much about that AAU team with Jayson Tatum, but my guess is Cook's role was to run the floor and dunk on people.

That Davis was in the NBA all those years was more of an indictment of the NBA than of Davis. He was a selfish, undisciplined, poor defensive player. It's no wonder be bounced all over the league, or that he was seldom on championship contenders. He was the Tom Chambers of guards/small forwards. And his game had more empty calories than a Golden Corral buffet.

Ha! Used to call it “the Golden Trough” back in the day. Are they even still around?

I forgot what a big-time recruit he was. Could he have been developed better at a different school?
This kinda talk upsets me. Hope hope potential recruits don't read this stuff. Cook is one of his biggest recruits. He has NBA size and athleticism. Just needs a jump shot. Heck, the winningest coach of all time basically held back one the greatest players in NBA history (MJ).

Seldom in the Davis era did seniors play the Dom Uhl role. Instead they steadily developed and usually finished their Iowa careers playing their best basketball, whether it was Acie Earl, Russ Millard, Jim Bartles, or John Carter.

Davis had a lot of shortcomings as a bench coach and as an in game strategist. But he generally took good care of his seniors.

I agree with this but I thought Davis was a pretty good bench coach. Maybe he just looks better now because his three successors were and are just plain bad. Fran might be the worst actually. He doesn't have the athletes to run his offense. These guys need help getting off their shots, especially from the perimeter. Too much dribbling, poor ball movement, very few screens to free up a shooter like Bohannon. Too much one-on-one. It seemed Fran tried absolutely nothing last night in that regard.

Getting back to Davis. He knew how to substitute players and when to call timeouts. Did he not?
Again last night with 4-5 minutes to go in the first half UM went up by 9. Our offense was struggling. Perfect time to call a timeout to set up a play. We still had all 4. Instead we miss and UM hits a 3. Down 12. Fran calls one too late in that instance. Again.

Senior to Freshman...PPG/REB/ASST

Jok - 19.9/5.5/2.6...18.9/6.3/1.1...16.1/3.5/1.4...7.0/2.6/1.3
Uthoff - 18.9/6.3/1.1...12.4/6.4/1.7...7.6/4.6/.8
White - 16.4/7.3/1.4...12.8/6.7/1.8...12.8/6.2/1.3...11.1/5.7/.9
Marble - 17.0/3.2/3.6...15.0/4.0/3.0...11.5/3.8/3.6...5.7/2.4/1.3

If only a couple of these guys had improved...maybe made 1st Team All Conference.

Latest posts