Cook & Boyle

HawkPhin

Assuming Wiegers stays and he and Mansell are 2 and 3 on the depth chart, what's the likelihood both Cook and Boyle switch positions?

Boyle has already switched positions. Were Mansell, a true frosh, to become 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart that would mean he's beaten out Cook or Weigers. If Weigers gets beaten out by a true freshman for the 2nd straight year then I think he'd become a grad transfer next year. If Weigers is 2nd and Mansell 3rd then I think Cook either changes positions or looks to transfer if he really wants badly to be a QB.

For the record I don't think Mansell will beat out either Cook or Weigers this year and he will red shirt. But like I just said, if he can then either Weigers transfers (if he's the odd man out) or Cook transfers. So I guess I think it's very unlikely Cook changes positions and Boyle already did last year.

I doubt they burn the red shirt on Mansell unless things go terribly with the top of the rotation. They like to spread the potential starters out.

Boyle has already switched positions. Were Mansell, a true frosh, to become 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart that would mean he's beaten out Cook or Weigers. If Weigers gets beaten out by a true freshman for the 2nd straight year then I think he'd become a grad transfer next year. If Weigers is 2nd and Mansell 3rd then I think Cook either changes positions or looks to transfer if he really wants badly to be a QB.

For the record I don't think Mansell will beat out either Cook or Weigers this year and he will red shirt. But like I just said, if he can then either Weigers transfers (if he's the odd man out) or Cook transfers. So I guess I think it's very unlikely Cook changes positions and Boyle already did last year.
I seem to recall that Boyle's move to WR was described as temporary. Am I mis-remembering?

I seem to recall that Boyle's move to WR was described as temporary. Am I mis-remembering?
That's what I'd heard not that long ago it seemed like too... I thought Cook might even move during the Bowl prep. My guess is it'll get sorted out in spring ball. We'll know by the time that ends if Wiegers is sticking around and how the depth chart may fall. Is Mansel going to be an early entry or no? I hadn't heard that yet

I have on good authority that KF has told Boyle he's going back to QB. I'm not sure why as I don't think it makes any sense at this stage.

I have on good authority that KF has told Boyle he's going back to QB. I'm not sure why as I don't think it makes any sense at this stage.

Mabye they think he can compete for a spot with a different OC? He was ahead of Cook before the move to WR.

If that is true my guess is because he suspects (or knows) that Wiegers is transferring and or Cook is going to change positions. Because yes as it sits now why log jam that position if everyone that's there is staying.

I like it. Boyle should battle for the QB job
I hope he does, especially after watching him play for Dowling. Kid has some moxie. However, I'm afraid that if he doesn't beat Weigers or Stanley, or even push them, he could get lost forever in the depth chart. He's a fantastic athlete that I think needs to be on the field in some way, shape, or form.

Iowa's best WR (McNutt) was a converted QB. I want to say DJK played QB in high school. Boyle should stay at WR, at best he'd be 3rd string QB (most likely 4th or 5th) with the starter graduating the same year as he.
Julian Edelman played QB at Kent State, we could use a Julian Edelman. Doesn't have the size or speed to excel like he does in the NFL, but understands the QB position.

I hope he does, especially after watching him play for Dowling. Kid has some moxie. However, I'm afraid that if he doesn't beat Weigers or Stanley, or even push them, he could get lost forever in the depth chart. He's a fantastic athlete that I think needs to be on the field in some way, shape, or form.

Ya I agree, but I think he will push them and get on the field. He can make plays off schedule, he's tough, a leader, and a good athlete. There's a lot to like about him under center. I'm excited to see what he can do.

Latest posts