Connor McCaffery Receives One of Open Scholarships

If he is going to play two sports, I don't know if he deserves a scholarship. The guy is a good athlete, but I doubt he is that good. I wonder how many two sports athletes Fran would consider recruiting at Iowa. The answer is probably none.

If he is going to play two sports, I don't know if he deserves a scholarship. The guy is a good athlete, but I doubt he is that good. I wonder how many two sports athletes Fran would consider recruiting at Iowa. The answer is probably none.

Well, he's been playing baseball lately.

McCaffery has been a full participant with the baseball team lately — practices, lifting, hitting sessions. The 6-foot-5 first baseman/outfielder has a spot on Heller’s 35-man roster, so he dresses for home games — but doesn’t go on the road.

“I do every bit of stuff that the team does. I do all of that,” McCaffery said. “I just don’t actually play in the games. I practice the same. I do all of it.”

With the baseball team playing its 30th game of the season Wednesday, McCaffery looks to be on track to red-shirting.

When baseball has its Monday off day or the team is on a weekend road trip, McCaffery will work out with the basketball team, which is coached by his father, Fran McCaffery.

And he said he's saving the other one for the '19 class. Exactly what I thought would happen. Fran is all in on Connor being our point guard.

I think Fran’s ultimate goal is to coach his two sons together at Iowa, and we are starting to see that come to fruition. I think this is why he got so testy with the media last season when they got on him. I think he thought this season would go much better than it did and now he understands he’s used up the majority of his goodwill.

I think Fran’s ultimate goal is to coach his two sons together at Iowa, and we are starting to see that come to fruition. I think this is why he got so testy with the media last season when they got on him. I think he thought this season would go much better than it did and now he understands he’s used up the majority of his goodwill.
He has all the goodwill he needs from the crazy man making the deals.

Gary may be too big of a fucking pussy to fire him but if the fans turn hard it is going to be miserable for Fran and his kids.
That is sad but true. Fran is putting his kids in the line of fire. Unintentionally and they shouldn’t be, but if things continue to go south it could get ugly.

Why does a millionare's son need a scholarship?

He's worthy of one and could get one at other schools and there is room. Also plenty of wealthy scholarship players in every sport. Does Keyshawn Johnson Jr. need one? No, but he has one. Only 5 players can play at a time in college basketball, honestly, they don't 13 of them.

He's worthy of one and could get one at other schools and there is room. Also plenty of wealthy scholarship players in every sport. Does Keyshawn Johnson Jr. need one? No, but he has one. Only 5 players can play at a time in college basketball, honestly, they don't 13 of them.
I feel like this has been discussed like 30 times now. You are exactly right. These aren't need based scholarships. That's not my issue with what is going on with this team. Lets stay focused on the actual missteps and issues.

It wouldn't be a problem if the stable was full of players he needed or Iowa was currently and in the near future a winning team.

It wouldn't be a problem if the stable was full of players he needed or Iowa was currently and in the near future a winning team.

It's not a problem period (That CM get an open scholarship). He's a top 150 kid, Iowa has room for that kind of player, especially with this roster.

But I do agree, Iowa is not a winning program right now. Only time will tell if they are in the near future.

I just can't project how much better Garza's gonna be, how JW will transition to the college game, how much having a healthy back up PG will make. Whether Cook comes back. Whether Moss gets evaluated and re-focused and dialed in after that and makes a jump. How Nunge will develop for year 2. Just too many questions for me to say "hey this is a bad program moving forward" .... I can definitively say that it was not a good program last year, but really, last season is really the outlier over the last 6-7 seasons. Only time will tell if it's the new norm or not. I hope not, but that's all any of us can do.

It's not a problem period (That CM get an open scholarship). He's a top 150 kid, Iowa has room for that kind of player, especially with this roster.

But I do agree, Iowa is not a winning program right now. Only time will tell if they are in the near future.

That's composite bc of questionable rankings from places like ESPN. 247 is generally accepted as the best rankings site and they had him in the 250's and a 3*. Based on watching him I thought that was even a little high. We'll see I guess.

I'm not sure how to feel about this... why does the son of a man bringing home millions need a scholarship? Wouldn't it be better to bank it and use it for someone else? How does this work with baseball? Why doesn't he get a baseball scholarship instead?
I honestly don't understand how this works. Can someone school me on all this?

That's composite bc of questionable rankings from places like ESPN. 247 is generally accepted as the best rankings site and they had him in the 250's and a 3*. Based on watching him I thought that was even a little high. We'll see I guess.
I can understand that Fran loves his children, but its a little hard for me to believe he is worthy of a scholarship if he isn't going to be focusing entirely on basketball. Its pretty rare when a two sport athlete has great success at both sports. If he wants to play two sports which is a fine thing, I think Fran can afford to pay for it. Its to bad he was sick last year, but mono has little to do with basketball.

I just can't project how much better Garza's gonna be, how JW will transition to the college game, how much having a healthy back up PG will make. Whether Cook comes back. Whether Moss gets evaluated and re-focused and dialed in after that and makes a jump. How Nunge will develop for year 2. Just too many questions for me to say "hey this is a bad program moving forward" .... I can definitively say that it was not a good program last year, but really, last season is really the outlier over the last 6-7 seasons. Only time will tell if it's the new norm or not. I hope not, but that's all any of us can do.

Im much more optimistic about Garza with limited hops than CM.

I dont understand how fans can watch video and not doubt. He's tall. He has been around basketball. Bout it other than what D1 schools can typically find that dont always work out. If Garza loses Cook his game will be dif.