Connor McCaffery Baseball Prospect

How good is Connor at baseball? Is there a chance he doesn't finish his basketball career to pursue a career in the MLB?

I have no idea how good he is. I do know that he was older for his HS class which is a huge advantage. However, his bio is telling. It's about name recognition at this point and his height/length. There is no way he runs the bases fast enough in today's athletic world. There are a lot of guys with talent including apparently Conner. He's not going pro. If he were 19 this summer it would be different.

Hawk Item --
Also a member of the University of Iowa men's basketball program, playing for his father, Fran McCaffery.

2018 -- Redshirted... did not see any game action.

How good is Connor at baseball? Is there a chance he doesn't finish his basketball career to pursue a career in the MLB?
Based on schedules for MiLB teams, he could probably play almost a full basketball season without overlap. Plus he'd be in shape better than most by April.

He's good and has played on the national circuit at showcases with Perfect Game. He's a smooth-swinging, power-hitting, 6-5 lefty that can play LF or 1B as a pro. That he's the highest ranked draft prospect on the team and the 7th highest rated prospect in the Big Ten without having played a college game is telling in regards to his potential.

He was a really good pitcher before hurting his arm.

Out of curiosity I looked, and the Big Ten's 7th player drafted this past June was in the 7th round, 201st overall.

Iowa's Robert Neustrom was picked in the 5th round, 145th overall.

Out of curiosity I looked, and the Big Ten's 7th player drafted this past June was in the 7th round, 201st overall.

Iowa's Robert Neustrom was picked in the 5th round, 145th overall.

Yeah not a lot of MLB talent in the Big Ten, the best baseball talent stays in the south. Being named the 7th best baseball prospect in the Big Ten is like being the 7th best NBA prospect in the Pac12.

Remind me where cubs Kyle Schwarber played again?

Indiana but that's beside the point. The Big Ten is not a baseball power by any means. Most good prospects that don't go straight to the minors out of high school play in the south or at Oregon State.

Yeah not a lot of MLB talent in the Big Ten, the best baseball talent stays in the south. Being named the 7th best baseball prospect in the Big Ten is like being the 7th best NBA prospect in the Pac12.
Agreed. No disputing the fact that the best talent comes from the south and HS.

I do want to state for anyone that took it the wrong way, though, that my previous post was in no way to knock/disrespect Connor or the Iowa baseball team (nor do I feel like your post is doing anything other than stating a fact).

Agreed. No disputing the fact that the best talent comes from the south and HS.

I do want to state for anyone that took it the wrong way, though, that my previous post was in no way to knock/disrespect Connor or the Iowa baseball team (nor do I feel like your post is doing anything other than stating a fact).

Oh no, that's not how I took your post. I felt like I was adding to it. It sucks that they play college ball in the winter and into the spring when it's a summer sport. Here is it -50 below and the baseball team has their first game in a little over 2 weeks (Feb 15th). The Big Ten schools cannot compete with the southern schools for talent, who wants to play baseball in the winter and the first month of the season is played all on the road (although this year they get to play in Hawaii).

I enjoy following former Hawkeyes in professional baseball, Tyler Peyton is in the Cubs organization and has done well. I've been following Jake Adams since he smashed 29 home runs as a Hawk in 2017, but he's been struggling in the Astros organization. Matt Dermody is the last Hawkeye to reach the majors.

That's interesting... I mean supposedly he and his brother really want to play with each other in college and to do that it'll take 2 yrs. I don't see PM playing a whole heck of a lot next yr. (I could be wrong but as thin as he is I can't see him playing much unless he drastically gets bigger/stronger) But if he's like a 2nd round pick in baseball or higher how tough would that be to wait on following that dream if it's what he wants to do. I don't think anyone would debate that he'll be an NBA prospect anytime soon. So his balancing act of the two sports will only get more interesting as we go along.