Connor done with baseball for the summer

I love the kid and I hate to be a jerk.....but he really ought to pick one sport and try to be as good as he can be. He isn't going to play either sport professionally, so pick one or the other and try to maximize his ability at the college level to help Iowa. From what I've seen, I actually think he has more potential in basketball. Improve his shot and he could be a dangerous player.

Not sure he shouldn't be in the gym practicing his three point shot once Iowa's baseball season ended anyway.

My understanding is that Fran is friends with the University of Albany head coach and allowed Connor the opportunity to practice basketball at their facility while he was there playing for the summer league baseball team....

My understanding is that Fran is friends with the University of Albany head coach and allowed Connor the opportunity to practice basketball at their facility while he was there playing for the summer league baseball team....

That's good. I actually didn't mean my post to be snarky. Just keeping it real. What's preventing him from being a good player is mostly just not very good 3 point shooting.

Garvey, your post was not snarky and is probably the right thought. Right now his batting average and 3-point average are both about the same!!!

He needs to get healthy and get into the gym to raise that 3-point shooting up past the Mendoza line at least. LOL.

When your dad is a millionaire its a lot easier to not be concerned about focusing on just one sport. He is a dean list student so I doubt he is that worried about it all. I'm sure he is trying his best though.

That's good. I actually didn't mean my post to be snarky. Just keeping it real. What's preventing him from being a good player is mostly just not very good 3 point shooting.

I didn't take it as snarky at all....I just wanted to provide some context that apparently he was in the gym in Albany, even though he was participating in summer league baseball.

However, in this day and age of college athletics....I think you're doing your team (either one) a disservice by not fully focusing on one. You can do that in high school, but not in college....at least not successfully.

6-29

That was Conner from 3 pt. land last year. Once the scouting report got out on him he became a liability on the offensive end. CM isn't a scrub, but he was getting scrub like treatment by February, teams were totally disregarding him on the offensive end, practically daring him to shoot.

Given how this team is currently constructed, you simply can't have that. Btw, that reminds me, I have to renew my Kenpom subscription.

6-29

That was Conner from 3 pt. land last year. Once the scouting report got out on him he became a liability on the offensive end. CM isn't a scrub, but he was getting scrub like treatment by February, teams were totally disregarding him on the offensive end, practically daring him to shoot.

Given how this team is currently constructed, you simply can't have that. Btw, that reminds me, I have to renew my Kenpom subscription.

He also had quite a few end of shot clock throw up 3s. That not only skews his shooting percentage, but it shows even more he didn't want to shoot unless he had to. I think late in the year he actually shot more and made a higher percentage. At some point he will be comfortable enough to shoot when open, preventing teams from sagging off. More than likely, it will be next year.

He also had quite a few end of shot clock throw up 3s. That not only skews his shooting percentage, but it shows even more he didn't want to shoot unless he had to. I think late in the year he actually shot more and made a higher percentage. At some point he will be comfortable enough to shoot when open, preventing teams from sagging off. More than likely, it will be next year.

The confidence and swagger is there, which is a plus, I am not really worried about that. The hitch in his stroke is what has me concerned. I am not sure if that is fixable or not.

The confidence and swagger is there, which is a plus, I am not really worried about that. The hitch in his stroke is what has me concerned. I am not sure if that is fixable or not.
I'm not worried about that. People shoot good with bad form all the time. He clearly spent a lot of the season questioning whether or not he could shoot. Once that doubt is out of his head, he will shoot just fine, even with his bad form. I'm not saying it will be good. But it will be fine.

I really think he is a better shooter than his percentage last year. 29 attempts is a very small amount for a guard. There are guys out there taking that many 3 point attempts in 2 or 3 games.

I thought I recall someone posting that most of the makes came later in the year and that his percentage was a bit better later in the season. In other words, he was getting better. Either way, pretty small sample size.

Its hard to believe he won't improve on this number this coming season with more minutes and confidence as a possible starter. He just needs to be good enough to force the defense to come out on him a little bit.

It really cannot get much worse......

Connor should be taking it inside much more, making the basket or getting free throws. Driving to the basket will attract more attention enabling him to use his passing skills for an assist.....

His ball handling, passing, basketball savvy and most especially his Attitude are what I most like about his game. He has attitude. He and Cordell will take no shite from anyone. Connor is hard nosed and hands out the punishment. He reminds me of TheVanillaGorilla in that respect. He has the ability to get into the opponents heads. The opposition wants to school the coachs son and he is more than prepared for the psychological warfare. He and JBo are masterful at that aspect of the game.....

He does need to shoot at least 200 threes a day. Have someone rebounding to him and immediatelly passing the ball to him for an automatic shot attempt without thinking about it at all. Just catch and shoot. I did that one Summer for Rod Thompson when I took my son to IC to run the field at Kinnick. They were working on one side of the field and he ran goal line to goal line and was thrilled. We then went to Carver, We were walking on the floor when Rod dribbled a ball in. I said hello and he lifted my son up to the basket to dunk the ball. He started shooting threes and I rebounded for him, immediately bouncing a pass right to him waist height. He would catch and shoot right away, making all to them. He said he aimed fot the square behind the rim when shooting at an angle., Goes in every time, Man, he said. Someone should do that for Connor every day and twice on Tuesdays.....

That same trip we went to the PTL. It was just before Horner and Brunners first season. We were sitting behind the basket. Just before the game started, a woman approached the seats and extended a hand for me to help her into the second row. It was Horner's Mother and we talked throughtout the game. That was cool.....

Connor gonna be OK

Last edited: