Connect the Dots

SterlingWarriorHawk

This is pure speculation and would love to hear from "insiders" but follow the path.

1. The team stays an extra night in Indiana.
2. Melsahn ends up ill before Wisconsin after a whole week of no games.
3. Mel is still too sick to play versus Minnesota.
4. Mel plays little against Indiana and Purdue.
5. Mel plays garbage minutes vs MSU in an absolute drubbing in the 2nd half
6. Mel plays 14 minutes on Senior nights vs Illinois.

I am completely speculating, but did Mel do something on the road trip and get a "illness" that lead to not playing in two games? I felt this team wasn't as good as the media made them out to be, but the 2nd half of the B10 schedule was suppose to be easier on paper. Has anybody else thought something may have happened amongst the team during the trip to Indiana?

i'm not in the speculation business. the only thing worth noting in your post is that the cancelled game vs Indiana is the line in the sand on when the wheels feel off.

I don't think it was the postponed Indiana game. I think it was the third loss at home (and fifth in the conference) that not only knocked them out of title contention, but threw a whole lot of cold water/doubt on this team.

Here was the highpoint of the year from Matt Norlander of cbs sports:

"Folks, Iowa's "legit," as they say, and here's the proof. Now a 14-3 team in one of -- if not the -- best leagues, here are the Hawkeyes' losses this year: by five, in overtime, to one-loss Villanova; by three at undefeated Iowa State; by four at undefeated Wisconsin.

Looking at this team through that lens, couldn't you say Iowa's a top-10 team? Coming on the heels of what McCaffery's team just did to the Buckeyes, you absolutely could.

The past two seasons have seen this program take big strides under McCaffery. When the Hawkeyes have their name announced on Selection Sunday two months from now, the win against OSU will be one of those memories that stands out. It's winning in the tough spot, without a doubt, that helps a program move forward and become among the best in its league and across the country."

Iowa makes its biggest statement in years with huge win at Ohio State - CBSSports.com

From cbssports.com wire report

“There's an invisible line that a good team must cross to become a national or even conference contender.

Iowa climbed over that mental barrier on Sunday."

From the same article, Aaron White is quoted:

''We've proven all year long that we're one of the top teams,'' said White, who stuck it to the biggest powerhouse in his home state. ''This finally puts it on our resume to signify that. We've been up on teams that are highly ranked, but we've lost those games down the stretch by not making key plays. I'm really happy, because that's all we've been stressing, the 40-minute game and playing to win. And that's what we did.''

Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Ohio State Buckeyes Recap - CBSSports.com

When goals go unrealized and lofty statements like what White said are not matched repeatedly, then the "want-to" whithers and the "can't do" vs. good teams slumps to a "can't do" vs. avg/bad teams that still "want-to".

Lets not forget that Mel was one of our top 3 players until the illness. Does not look 100% at this point in time.

Latest posts