Congratulations to the great Houdini

Lot of egg laying going on last night. Our guard court had a grand total of 5 pts (all from Clemmons) with a minute to go. Miraculously, MG hit two free throws to balloon that total to 7.

So thats two of our starting guards with zero FGs and another off the bench with the "golden egg".

Lisa Bluder, can you spare a couple players?

After what could arguably be called one of your best games at Iowa, you laid another golden egg.

1. You clearly have no idea what the phrase "golden egg" means.

2. The backcourt play is going to be wildly inconsistent this year. There's nothing that can be done to change that this season, so you might as well get used to it instead of acting surprised when they have a poor game.

How good would this team be with a guard like Marcus Paige or Tyler Ulis? Just crazy to think how one player could make a huge difference.

The bad thing about this is we lose White, Gabe and Oges next year. We will be stuck with the same guards who can't score on a consistent basis again. Fran should have let Dickerson play a lot more in the blowout games in the Non Conference. He isn't going to see any minutes the rest of the year barring foul trouble or injury. Giving that scholarship to Trey is looking like a mistake to me at this point. I think Gesell realizes he doesn't need to shoot as much this year with our front court playing so well. He showed he's capable against UNC but those games are few and far between. Any points from Mike, Jok, AC or Oges are huge this year. Uthoff, White and Gabe are this years leaders. By far!

The guards will have better nights. I like knowing we can have an off night shooting and win with defense and free throws. North Carolina, Ohio State, Nebraska...all of these teams got close late in the game and we closed them out. This is good to see. And making free throws as a team (4th in the country) is huge at the end of games. We probably won't win every close game but we're getting our share...which we all know has been a problem in the past.

I think losing Gabe next year is going to hurt the worst. White obviously puts up his points, but they seem to mostly come off rebounds, fast breaks, or free throws. He never seems to create his own shot. Gabe is a force inside both on offense and defense.

30 minutes a night from Woody doesn't sound very good right now. I'm not sure where the Woody from the Tennessee game last year went but he hasn't been seen yet.

I think losing Gabe next year is going to hurt the worst. White obviously puts up his points, but they seem to mostly come off rebounds, fast breaks, or free throws. He never seems to create his own shot. Gabe is a force inside both on offense and defense.

30 minutes a night from Woody doesn't sound very good right now. I'm not sure where the Woody from the Tennessee game last year went but he hasn't been seen yet.

Woody is better this year than last year, and he will be better next year than this year. White is fun to watch and is a good player, but I'm not so sure he is the greatest defensive player Iowa has ever had. Its to bad Iowa didn't redshirt Olesani his first year, but he might not of wanted to be redshirted.

I thought we won last night...hmmm...I did tape it so I can go back and watch to see if I missed something.

Gesell and Clemmons played very good defense last night and Gesell had 6 assists...they don't always need to score if White, Uthoff, Olesani, or someone else is also stepping up. Defense is the needed commodity at the guard court every night and it will be critical to keep penetration at a minimum.

My question is why we don't shoot better at home. If I was Fran...all practices in Carver for awhile...something just don't make sense there.

My bad on the use of the word golden in the idiom. It should have been corrected to "you laid another egg." without the word golden.

It still doesn't change the meaning of the thread.

WinOne: Our guard play in general wasn't great but when you do go back and watch this game you will need both hands to count the number of nearly critical errors from one particular guard.

Costly turnovers. Errant passes. Missed defensive assignments. Generally just getting in others' way. At one point early in the game, Fran took him out after a complete mental error. One or two possessions later the guy is back in there doing the same crap.

Don't misinterpret what I'm saying though. I think our guard play in general is subpar at best but if you've got a few young players on the bench (Jok, Dickerson, Uhl) that could be logging minutes to gain confidence and ability instead of a player that has steadily deteriorated in skills, which would you play?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a fan that is going to provide any logical reasoning on why he continues to play and yet Fran finds the need for him to be in the game.

Last nights box score for both shooting guards flat out sucks. Both were 0fer the field. Neither contributed to the offensive flow of the game. Neither stood out as truly winning the starting spot but one player made mistake after mistake after mistake and he wasn't the sophomore.

How good would this team be with a guard like Marcus Paige or Tyler Ulis? Just crazy to think how one player could make a huge difference.

Or better yet, what should have happened, with
Iowa's Mr Basketball, from last year, spelling Mike at point.
He's real strong with the ball, very good on Offense and Defense
& he's simply a winner. A clear Miss.

But, GO HAWKEYES!!

My bad on the use of the word golden in the idiom. It should have been corrected to "you laid another egg." without the word golden.

It still doesn't change the meaning of the thread.

WinOne: Our guard play in general wasn't great but when you do go back and watch this game you will need both hands to count the number of nearly critical errors from one particular guard.

Costly turnovers. Errant passes. Missed defensive assignments. Generally just getting in others' way. At one point early in the game, Fran took him out after a complete mental error. One or two possessions later the guy is back in there doing the same crap.

Don't misinterpret what I'm saying though. I think our guard play in general is subpar at best but if you've got a few young players on the bench (Jok, Dickerson, Uhl) that could be logging minutes to gain confidence and ability instead of a player that has steadily deteriorated in skills, which would you play?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a fan that is going to provide any logical reasoning on why he continues to play and yet Fran finds the need for him to be in the game.

Last nights box score for both shooting guards flat out sucks. Both were 0fer the field. Neither contributed to the offensive flow of the game. Neither stood out as truly winning the starting spot but one player made mistake after mistake after mistake and he wasn't the sophomore.

I LIKE TO HEAR MYSELF TALK!!! EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW!!!

Woody is better this year than last year, and he will be better next year than this year. White is fun to watch and is a good player, but I'm not so sure he is the greatest defensive player Iowa has ever had. Its to bad Iowa didn't redshirt Olesani his first year, but he might not of wanted to be redshirted.

Woody has shown flashes of being better than last year. He's also shown flashes of being worse. Overall, he's about the same, in my mind.

Or better yet, what should have happened, with
Iowa's Mr Basketball, from last year, spelling Mike at point.
He's real strong with the ball, very good on Offense and Defense
& he's simply a winner. A clear Miss.

But, GO HAWKEYES!!

Uh NO. That is absolutely not better than Ulis or Paige. Not even close. Would I prefer him over Dickerson? Hindsight, yeah probably, but eh, I don't think he's much of an upgrade.