Congrats to UNI!!!

hawktech

What a great game! I thought for sure that they would blow it in the end but they hung on. Leading the entire game was impressive. Especially against the #1 team in the country.

Congrats again to UNI! Their biggest win in school history, and what a win it was! Kansas is second to Illinois in my disdain. Couldn't be a better victory. Keep on winning and make the state of Iowa look good!

Congrats to Iowa City's Ali Farokhmanesh for his mvp performance, he definitely iced the Jayhawks. Awesome! And congrats to Ben Jacobsen for earning himself $1+ million pay raise.

Last edited:
Some UNI friends have always said it was Ben that made McDermott successful(although Greg can obviously recruit). They very well may be right! If we did offer Ben, and he accepted, I would still like a couple top assistant coaches that are known as good recruiters. Steve Forbes maybe??? Pay him.

Last edited:
Absolutely. they deserve the to be in the spot light. Great win that people will remember for years. Great senior leadership.

Congrats UNI.

You think Ben has a shot at the job? I was thinking yes before this, but also thinking that Iowa fans would say no. Now? I am guessing that may have changed...

I'm still really happy that Kansas went down! :) YES!!

Congratulations to the Panthers! My wife is a UNI grad, so I feel a little loyalty to them. Whether or not we think Jake is "good enough" to coach the Hawks, give credit to the man ... he can coach, and his players certainly respond to him.

Let's hope they continue to represent our state so well, and stick it to whomever they draw next.

Jake is more than good enough for the Hawkeyes! That was evident from last season. Key issue is, he might not be the "right fit". Iowa does need to up the tempo after Alford and Lickliter. I'm not saying that BJ could be the best to happen to Hawkeye basketball ever! It's just that with the history and what is given, what's the best fit...?

Last edited:
Jake is more than good enough for the Hawkeyes! That was evident from last season. Key issue is, he might not be the "right fit". Iowa does need to up the tempo after Alford and Lickliter. I'm not saying that BJ could be the best to happen to Hawkeye basketball ever! It's just that with the history and what is given, what's the best fit...?

I think UNI's showing tonight proves that we don't have to have an uptempo philosophy to have an exciting brand of basketball. Kansas made it even more interesting with their late push, but UNI was exciting from start to finish, and they did it with defense. I would be more than happy to have Jake.

ANY system will work at the Big Ten level if you have the right players.

Congratulations to the Panthers! My wife is a UNI grad, so I feel a little loyalty to them. Whether or not we think Jake is "good enough" to coach the Hawks, give credit to the man ... he can coach, and his players certainly respond to him.

Let's hope they continue to represent our state so well, and stick it to whomever they draw next.

Mine, too. She's hardly a sports fan but is feeling pretty proud this weekend and actually got into watching the highlight roundup shows. She's going to wear her Panthers sweatshirt to work ( elementary school) Monday, even though probably not a lot of her colleagues 1200 miles from Iowa will have any idea why she is.

I think UNI's showing tonight proves that we don't have to have an uptempo philosophy to have an exciting brand of basketball. Kansas made it even more interesting with their late push, but UNI was exciting from start to finish, and they did it with defense. I would be more than happy to have Jake.

ANY system will work at the Big Ten level if you have the right players.

I agree, any system will work. What I think the issue is, not with me but more of what a lot of fans think, is that they want a tempo that is more exciting with scores closer to the 80s than the 60s. Which I completely agree with, it is more exciting to watch an MSU than a sleeper Wisconsin.
The game yesterday was very exciting! Much more than the usual UNI game, obviously. Ben's brand of basketball is on about the same pace with the "Butler way" style of ball. Which is perfectly fine with me, IF you have the talent. UNI has the talent this year, Iowa is nowhere near it!

I am not sure what other fans really want for an uptempo brand of ball? And why Ben would not be a good hire for Iowa right now. But to me, as long as it is nowhere near the type of ball that Wisconsin plays then I am all good with that! The Ben way or the Butler way are totally entertaining - IF you have the talent. I guess is the question can Ben recruit the talent needed to win at Iowa? Or can he hire the right assistant coaches to get those types of recruits?

I say whoever we hire, we should try and pickup Steve Forbes(or someone just as good at recruiting) as an assistant head coach. Pay him $500k if we have to!