Congrats on missed FT's?

I

Ian Pike Hammer

What's up with this? Been seeing players hand slap the foul shooter, even after missed FT's. Been goin' on for a cpl of years. The player who missed the FT will even start the proces, and every team mate in the 5 block area is compelled to join in. Don't they realize it's not an accomplishment to be celebrated? THEY MISSED THE GIFT POINTS. Even Iowa players do it. Are young ppl so babied these days they have to do it to feel good about themselves?

What's up with this? Been seeing players hand slap the foul shooter, even after missed FT's. Been goin' on for a cpl of years. The player who missed the FT will even start the proces, and every team mate in the 5 block area is compelled to join in. Don't they realize it's not an accomplishment to be celebrated? THEY MISSED THE GIFT POINTS. Even Iowa players do it. Are young ppl so babied these days they have to do it to feel good about themselves?

Gift points? No player in the history of the game can shoot 100% on free throws. They aren't free. That's just the name of them.

Oh, for God's sake. How about we just let the kids decide what they are going to do.

"How can you not make a free throw!? They're free!!!!!!!!!"

Like the guy shooting them would make 100%

Thats not the point of the thread, but... These are uncontested shots, taken by talented players who have, generally, been shooting FT's for over a decade and are getting a free ride to college for their talent. I was only average at basketball and could still make 2 out of every 3.
Anyway, the point was, why the hand slaps after a miss. I like Iahawk52's answer

Thats not the point of the thread, but... These are uncontested shots, taken by talented players who have, generally, been shooting FT's for over a decade and are getting a free ride to college for their talent. I was only average at basketball and could still make 2 out of every 3.
Anyway, the point was, why the hand slaps after a miss. I like Iahawk52's answer

I know it wasn't the point and I like the point. Just busting your balls over a pet peeve of mine. It's not like the free throw line is 2 feet away from the basket. You say you can make 2 out of 3, but could you during a D1 game with everything they have to deal with? Every time you miss the 1 out of 3, should people yell "how can you not make a free throw? I can make a free throw!" like a lot of people do every time they see a player miss?

I know it wasn't the point and I like the point. Just busting your balls over a pet peeve of mine. It's not like the free throw line is 2 feet away from the basket. You say you can make 2 out of 3, but could you during a D1 game with everything they have to deal with? Every time you miss the 1 out of 3, should people yell "how can you not make a free throw? I can make a free throw!" like a lot of people do every time they see a player miss?

OK, gotcha!
Side note: anyone got the stats on Garza's 3 pt shooting over the last 3m4 games. Looks like its been off a tad.

It’s a HUGE pet peve of mine. Has been for decades now. Love watching vintage hoops, when they didn’t high five whether they missed, or naked, the FT

I could be wrong but I don't think this is anything new. I swear players doing that after missed free throws has been happening since as long as I can remember. Maybe I've just never paid close enough attention to it? The only time I notice it is when no teammates are around and the guy shooting the FTs pretends they are there.

To PC's point, it drives me nuts as well when I hear people say things like "make your free throws" as if the player is intentionally trying to miss them. To me it's similar to the person that yells "just throw strikes" in baseball as if the pitcher is purposely missing the strike zone. Don't get me wrong, missed free throws bother the heck out of me too, especially when they come at very inopportune times (end of game 1 and 1s).

That said, should some players be better than they are at FTs? Absolutely, players that struggle from the line like Ethan Happ for example are puzzling to me. I mean I get it if you are not the best FT shooter in the world and that's fine but an elite level college player should be able make at least half of them. I understand that the angle can be more difficult for taller players etc. but there are numerous guys out there that are solid FT shooters at every height. This makes me tend to believe that' it's more of a mental thing than a physical thing for those players.

High five inflation. Everything requires a celebration or a ritual.

Guys used to go crazy when they scored a big touchdown. Now they dance like maniacs for any good play.

Remember when Stanley overthrew Hockensen on the wide open play action pass against PSU. That is about as free of throw as it can get. Fant immediately ran to Stanley and gave him a bump and a slap.

It's you who's misconstruing a hand slap as a "congratulations".

So hand slaps equal congrats for missing a FT.