Congrats Don Nelson

Tmoney12

Basketball HOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only did he coach some great NBA teams but he was a HAWKEYE!

134026856_640.jpg

Remember listening to the Hawks on WHO radio when Don was playing. Listened to every game. Will never forget the game at Ohio State that we almost won against Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Larry Seigfreid and Mel Nowell. Outstanding game that went down to the wire.....

Don Nelson outplayed Jerry Lucas in my opinion.....

Really liked Don playing for the Celts, he was a perfect Celtic forward like Tommy Heinsohn.....

One of the true greats.....

:)

I got to see Don play against Minnesota in Minneapolis when I was a youngster. I can still see in my mind a play when he went up and pinned a M. player's shot to the backboard. He was an outstanding defensive player at Iowa and made his living in the NBA that way, as well. That year, if I recall correctly, there were three "centers" on the all Big Ten first team...Don, Jerry Lucas, and Terry Dischinger from Purdue.

Nelson is fourth in career scoring average at 21.2 ppg; behind Sam Williams, John Johnson & Freddie Brown. He also is third as far as career double-double leaders.

I'm still waiting to hear the story why his number isn't retired.

Where is the Des Moines Register on this? Are they waiting for Him to graduate?

I'm still waiting to hear the story why his number isn't retired.

Where is the Des Moines Register on this? Are they waiting for Him to graduate?

Nothing against Greg Stokes, but why in the heck is his number retired? I understand all the retired numbers except for his.

Nelson will be back to get his diploma in may (he graduated in 1962, but never walked). If I get the chance, I will ask him if he ever had a falling out with the university.

Latest posts