Conference Schedule Released

@ Maryland, Illinois, and @ Purdue, in the middle, looks tough!

It looks like Mich. St. [yawn] and Maryland are the cream of the crap this year.
I thought the sleeper to watch out for would be....Rutgers!

Then Issa Thiam, that dude who killed us from the corner in Carver, had some off the court issues and was dismissed. More importantly, double double machine Eugene Omoruyi decided to transfer. That guy's game was tailor made for the B1G as a Draymond Green, Caleb Swanigan type of player. They still have some talent with Baker, Harper and Doorson but Omoruyi is a big loss. Rutgers may be one of those teams who always find ways to screw things up.

I think the B1G schedule looks manageable I just wonder how we will navigate the non conference.

7-4 non conference, 12-8 B1G would be 19-12. Probably good enough for an NCAA birth but close to the bubble. Used to be 20 wins was the mark you needed to get to but not as much any more if your other metrics are solid.

However 10-10 in the B1G probably won’t be enough to get us in this year.

Sadly with all the attrition we had this ended being the year we shouldn’t have really had a non conference schedule like this.

I think the B1G schedule looks manageable I just wonder how we will navigate the non conference.

7-4 non conference, 12-8 B1G would be 19-12. Probably good enough for an NCAA birth but close to the bubble. Used to be 20 wins was the mark you needed to get to but not as much any more if your other metrics are solid.

However 10-10 in the B1G probably won’t be enough to get us in this year.

Sadly with all the attrition we had this ended being the year we shouldn’t have really had a non conference schedule like this.
10-10 in the B1G won't cut it this year. Nor do I think the conference will get as many teams in this year as we did in 2019.

But 7-4, 12-8 would be a lock. That's the benefit of having a legit non con schedule with fewer sub 300 RPI teams. Texas Tech, SDSU/Creighton, Syracuse, Iowa State, and Cincinnati will look damn good on a resume, even if we only win two of those games. It will also prepare us for the rigors of the conference grind.

10-10 in the B1G won't cut it this year. Nor do I think the conference will get as many teams in this year as we did in 2019.

But 7-4, 12-8 would be a lock. That's the benefit of having a legit non con schedule with fewer sub 300 RPI teams. Texas Tech, SDSU/Creighton, Syracuse, Iowa State, and Cincinnati will look damn good on a resume, even if we only win two of those games. It will also prepare us for the rigors of the conference grind.
I get what you are saying about the non conference helping the resume’ but my point would be number one 6-5 isn’t out of the realm of possibilities for the non conference. You have to wonder where this team would be at mentally at that point.

Having tough games is good, but at a certain point you do have to accumulate some wins.

Let’s say we go 7-4, 11-9, that’s 18-13. Probably need to win at least one at the BTT which is a dicey proposition given our history at that event under Fran.

Every year I hold out hope that when we play Wisconsin at home, the officials don't referee it like it's actually a home game for Wisconsin. It's the strangest damn thing.

I get what you are saying about the non conference helping the resume’ but my point would be number one 6-5 isn’t out of the realm of possibilities for the non conference. You have to wonder where this team would be at mentally at that point.

Having tough games is good, but at a certain point you do have to accumulate some wins.

Let’s say we go 7-4, 11-9, that’s 18-13. Probably need to win at least one at the BTT which is a dicey proposition given our history at that event under Fran.
Overscheduling in the non con is a risk, (it used to burn Johnny Orr at Iowa State) but one that I think is worth taking. Just playing that competition will better prepare you for the conference grind, and could help recruiting.

If we can go 7-4 against that non con I would like to think we can do better than 11-9 in the B1G.

Scheduling too many sub 300 RPI teams in front of uninspired crowds had helped lead to too many NIT appearances. These guys will be excited to play tough teams in hostile environments and neutral sites. I don't think losing a couple of them would affect us too much mentally.

I am excited as crap about the non-conference schedule. What fun is it to beat up on over-matched competition game after game after game. Yeah you need a FEW of them, but I'd rather watch a hard fought defeat against a great team than a yawner from the opening tip. The Hawks have a ton of talent, let's find out how good they really are! Can't wait, bring em on!

If possible, I agree with almost all that's being said, [I'm such a diplomat!] IMHO, I see the conf. as weaker overall this year, tho a whole lotta teams gained valuable experience last year [Purdue, Illinois, Mich.] I actually think the non-conf will be tougher than the conf schedule. [Of course, I could be delusional too!] IF, IF this team gels quickly and comes together, I could see us going 11-7, maybe even 12-6in the league. No idea what to expect in non-conf.. If we win 2 or 3 of them and don't get blown out in any, I think we're in for a hell of a season. I just hope I'm not too optimistic!

If possible, I agree with almost all that's being said, [I'm such a diplomat!] IMHO, I see the conf. as weaker overall this year, tho a whole lotta teams gained valuable experience last year [Purdue, Illinois, Mich.] I actually think the non-conf will be tougher than the conf schedule. [Of course, I could be delusional too!] IF, IF this team gels quickly and comes together, I could see us going 11-7, maybe even 12-6in the league. No idea what to expect in non-conf.. If we win 2 or 3 of them and don't get blown out in any, I think we're in for a hell of a season. I just hope I'm not too optimistic!
I’m excited to see an Iowa team with a running style coach that has multiple guards who are consistent threats to get in the lane. Don’t know what that will mean as far as wins, because it’s not happened before in Fran’s tenure. But excited nonetheless, and cautiously optimistic that it could be a trend.

Remember it’s a 20 game league schedule. That’s the other tough thing here. Really hard non conference and two extra conference games from what they used to play with the 18 game schedule in years prior to last year.

A daunting schedule for sure. The Hawks have a lot of talent on this team. I fully expect them to have a very good season though their record may leave some dismayed. GO HAWKS!

I’m excited to see an Iowa team with a running style coach that has multiple guards who are consistent threats to get in the lane. Don’t know what that will mean as far as wins, because it’s not happened before in Fran’s tenure. But excited nonetheless, and cautiously optimistic that it could be a trend.

You 'n me both! I may be the exception, but I get far more excited about Iowa basketball than I do football.