Conference Call w/ Barta

You didn't miss anything. I hung up after the first 15 minutes. 1st caller was Walt from Independence and he wanted to know if Barta is related to a priest from Dubuque and another priest from Walker that had the last name Barta. Dead serious, that was his question.

Somebody asked about the video boards and the possibility of playing NU at Wrigley then Burnette from WDM got on the line. She was concerned about the re-seating 2014, so concerned she didn't have a question about it. She then went on to state that she recently had some surgery done and it was going to be difficult for her to get up and down the steps at Kinnick. She wanted to know why nobody was ever around to help her to and from her seat and why there were no railings going up the steps and out the tunnels.

At at point I said screw it and hung up. Props to Barta and Dolph for keeping straight faces during this.

That sounds about right when it comes to callers ... asking those ever-so-important questions about "Well Gary, did you know a Mike Thompson when you were in grade school? My barber knows Mike and said the two of you used to hang out and cause quiet a ruckus when you were kids."

These are the same callers who dial into Kirk's radio show during the football season. Pointless and idiotic comments and questions ...

The university should have had a little more build up to this call. The first time I heard about it was two nights ago when Gary "called" me on my cell. This sort of goes hand in hand with how well Iowa's PR and media relations in general are handled ...

That sounds about right when it comes to callers ... asking those ever-so-important questions about "Well Gary, did you know a Mike Thompson when you were in grade school? My barber knows Mike and said the two of you used to hang out and cause quiet a ruckus when you were kids."

These are the same callers who dial into Kirk's radio show during the football season. Pointless and idiotic comments and questions ...

The university should have had a little more build up to this call. The first time I heard about it was two nights ago when Gary "called" me on my cell. This sort of goes hand in hand with how well Iowa's PR and media relations in general are handled ...

Wonder if the university or Soundoff producers have heard of call screeners?

I have only known about it for a month. Actually, I rather enjoyed the program. If people want to call in and talk about getting help to their seats, or complimenting the athletic department for installing railings in the ailes at Carver Hawkeye, or whether BG is related to a priest, or whatever else...its fine with me. If you don't like it, don't listen. Yeah, I was amused at some of the questions/comments. However, the cynicism in this thread is just amazing. Also, many of the posters fit right in with the attitude around the US right now: If something goes wrong (in my eyes), lets spend a lot of time and energy (and $) finding someone to blame and then crucify them. Or, in this forum, fire everybody involved with whatever makes you unhappy. Good luck with living a happy life. Now, make fun of this old guy for expressing his views from the perspective of a number of years on the planet. (Scorpio: Make sure you put the "you mad?" post up right away. Yawn.

I didn't think it was all that bad. Of course there are going to be bad questions. I think it's pretty cool that they take the time to do it.

I have only known about it for a month. Actually, I rather enjoyed the program. If people want to call in and talk about getting help to their seats, or complimenting the athletic department for installing railings in the ailes at Carver Hawkeye, or whether BG is related to a priest, or whatever else...its fine with me. If you don't like it, don't listen. Yeah, I was amused at some of the questions/comments. However, the cynicism in this thread is just amazing. Also, many of the posters fit right in with the attitude around the US right now: If something goes wrong (in my eyes), lets spend a lot of time and energy (and $) finding someone to blame and then crucify them. Or, in this forum, fire everybody involved with whatever makes you unhappy. Good luck with living a happy life. Now, make fun of this old guy for expressing his views from the perspective of a number of years on the planet. (Scorpio: Make sure you put the "you mad?" post up right away. Yawn.

I understand what you are saying ... Point being is that I want to hear relevant conversation ..., not one person's bi*ching about not getting help to her seat, etc. If you call into a Hawk show ... then talk Hawks! Not personal grievances ...

Some fans are bitchers,and others enjoy life.....you are among the latter,good for you.

Although I understand the sentiment about some of the quality of the calls, I must admit for THAT fan, the railings etc. were a big deal...keeping in mind that I would think others would have similar views.
For me, railings are not that big of a deal...I was more interested in the number of out of state calls and the conference realignment discussions.
Seems to me our AD was stating 9 vs. 8 or 10 conference games as clear as he could without making a firm comment.

I appreciated the concept and the reaching out and hope they do it again.

Hopefully, they powers that be will coach Dolph a bit more on the polls administration. :)

Go Hawks!