Complete Iowa vs EIU Two Deeps

Omg hahah...it's like there's some kind of game going on between DJK and the coaching staff. Still not listed as the clear starter? I bet they're doing it just to motivate him.

For the bazillionth time, the starter at WR means nothing. outside of the first play

There will be 3, 4, 5 guys that will be in and out of the line up during the game, and just like last year it doesn't matter who starts the game it's who finishes it and we all know who that will be.

I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Alright, I agree the tone of my comment was not cool.

I guess I was just surprised to see that Bernstine has apparently slipped to third string at the corner position, considering that Prater will be the starter when he gets healthy.

These two deeps don't mean a whole lot at this time. Bernstein, if healthy, will see the field next weekend. What he does on the field will determine how much he plays in the future.

I know he's not on the two deeps but I'm interested to see what Ferentz does with the 3rd TE position. Supposedly Zach Derby is pushing for some playing with CJ.....I think CJ sees the field but is the 3rd TE spot (primarily used around the goal line) more of a blocker or a pass threat. More often than not we have seen converted lineman come in as 3rd TE is goal line sets.

JB will play....but he has supposedly been working at safety as well.

BJ Lowery is another CB that I heard a lot of good things coming from camp....he may push for some time.

Alright, I agree the tone of my comment was not cool.

I guess I was just surprised to see that Bernstine has apparently slipped to third string at the corner position, considering that Prater will be the starter when he gets healthy.

No offense, but your "tone" hasn't been good since you started posting.

For the bazillionth time, the starter at WR means nothing. outside of the first play

There will be 3, 4, 5 guys that will be in and out of the line up during the game, and just like last year it doesn't matter who starts the game it's who finishes it and we all know who that will be.

I wasn't making a big deal out of it, hence me laughing about it. I just think it's funny and I agree it really doesn't mean anything.

Comparing this year's opening depth chart to last year's UNI game I noticed some interesting things with the offensive line:

• This year's depth chart lists 13 players which is a lot of 5 positions. This leads me to believe that there has been some good competition in camp and that usually results in better play on Saturdays. It also insulates against extreme dropoffs when injuries occur.
  • Based on the depth chart against UNI last year, Iowa returns 5 of their top 10 offensive linemen although that is a little skewed because Julian Vandervelde was injured and not listed against UNI. When you factor him in you actually return 6 of your top 11 OL including Riley Reiff who was probably your most consistent and for much of the season best offensive lineman last year. In fact you could probably argue that 7 of your top 12 return with Nolan MacMillan. I heard KF say the Monday before the UNI game that MacMillan was good enough to make the 2 Deeps but they were going to redshirt him if possible. Then he also came down with mono I believe.
  • Those 6 returners are: Reiff, Vandervelde, Zusevics, Koeppel, Haganman and Gettis (MacMillan would be seven).
  • There is a nice blend of experience and youth developing on the OL. There is 3 seniors (Vandervelde, Koeppel and Haganman), 3 Redshirt Freshman (MacMillan, Boffeli and Van Sloten), 3 sophomores (Ferentz, Reiff, and Tobin) and 4 Juniors (Gettis, Hundertmark, Orne and Zusevics).

Other things of interest:

• Don Nordman finally makes an official game depth chart at WR. Have heard rumblings since last year and he has nice size at 6-6.
  • No Paul Cheney in the WR depth.
  • John Weinke was listed as at least 3rd on the depth chart for every game last year including the Orange Bowl but isn't on this one. Just find that interesting.
  • If any of the OL were not able to go due to injury, as has been speculated and is at present unconfirmed, I wonder if the second string guy would slide in or if as has happened in the past the next best OL would slide into that position regardless of position (center being the exception).
  • Meyer listed at kicker. Just wondering with his strong leg if he could handle kickoff duties?
  • Nice to see both Alvis and Bigach listed along the DL. Alvis has been rumored to have been impressive last year and could be added to the list of late signees (was originally going to be a grey shirt) that has proven their worth.
  • Nice to see Lance Tillison on the depth at LB.
  • Has our CB depth ever been this solid? I feel confident with any of the four listed there and that doesn't even include Shaun Prater who may be the best of the bunch.
  • I think the two safety positions have been the most walkon friendly or successful positions in KF's time at Iowa. Considine, Pagel, Greenwood, Donatell, Nielsen Steinbrecher are/were all walkons and I am sure that I am missing some.
  • Did the Chandler brothers ever see the field together in a game? It appears that the Nielson brothers on defense have that opportunity this year.
  • I really like the kickoff returners of DJK and Davis.
  • Jonathan Mullings is listed as #15 on the depth chart but I am wondering if that is a typo. I believe he was #17 at the open practice and #15 is used by DJK who could conceivably be on punt team. He is listed as #9 on the roster.

My advice to you Hoffa is you might as well go and beat your head against a brick wall instead of trying to explain it, because it won't get through to some. DJK will end up playing the most snaps of the WR's (at least 2nd most behind McNutt maybe) even if he doesn't start and people just can't figure that out yet.

My advice to you Hoffa is you might as well go and beat your head against a brick wall instead of trying to explain it, because it won't get through to some. DJK will end up playing the most snaps of the WR's (at least 2nd most behind McNutt maybe) even if he doesn't start and people just can't figure that out yet.

Well this isn't actually true. Considering that DJK and McNutt basically split time last year and were not on the field at the same time that often. At least not as much as Stross was on the field with them.

To me, it is rather significant that it says DJK or Sandeman. I was of the opinion that DJK and McNutt came off the field too many times last year for less talented WRs. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case this year, but it appears it could be.

Well this isn't actually true. Considering that DJK and McNutt basically split time last year and were not on the field at the same time that often. At least not as much as Stross was on the field with them.

To me, it is rather significant that it says DJK or Sandeman. I was of the opinion that DJK and McNutt came off the field too many times last year for less talented WRs. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case this year, but it appears it could be.

Name Receptions Yards TD's
McNutt 34 674 8
DJK 45 750 2
Stross 31 414 1

At the end of the year, DJK will be the leading receiver or 2nd leading receiver (behind McNutt) even if he doesn't start all 12 games. So again even if DJK doesn't start it isn't a huge issue.

Last edited:
Bernstine was listed as a starter last year prior to his injury and Norm has gone on record saying he hasnt regained his speed yet.

also if you are going to rip a Hawk, at least spell his name correctly.

Name Receptions Yards TD's
McNutt 34 674 8
DJK 45 750 2
Stross 31 414 1

At the end of the year, DJK will be the leading receiver or 2nd leading receiver (behind McNutt) even if he doesn't start all 12 games. So again even if DJK doesn't start it isn't a huge issue.

So if he played more snaps...don't you think he would have even better numbers?

Perhaps not being listed as a starter is the punishment he faces for his involvement in the Hampton incident this summer. No suspension, but no start either. I am just speculating is all. We don't know if there was anything to his involvement, or if coach felt there was some sort of punishment to be dealt. Something to maybe consider when seeing he is not listed ahead of Castillo.

That was my first thought.

So if he played more snaps...don't you think he would have even better numbers?

Fine, who gives a **** how many snaps he played, my point is DJK will be one of the top 2 leading receivers when it is all said and done whether he comes off the bench or starts, that is my point.

As Hoffa said earlier starting doesn't mean crap except for the first snap. Now I think I will take my own advice and beat my head against a brick wall if you still can't understand it doesn't matter if DJK starts or not.

DJK also has missed some practice time, so he's likely been nursing a small injury. That may be why he's listed as a co-starter, because he's had to miss some practices.

Fine, who gives a **** how many snaps he played, my point is DJK will be one of the top 2 leading receivers when it is all said and done whether he comes off the bench or starts, that is my point.

As Hoffa said earlier starting doesn't mean crap except for the first snap. Now I think I will take my own advice and beat my head against a brick wall if you still can't understand it doesn't matter if DJK starts or not.

It doesn't matter to me who starts either. It matters how much they play. McNutt and DJK alternated plays for much of the year last year. It's my opinion that we are better when they are both on the field.

The fact that the 2 deeps still include DJK as a platoon player (like last year) is disappointing to me. Not sure what is so frustrating to you about my assessment.

So, I'll call it now for all you Paki bashers. He will bust a TD run for over 25 yards in the first game. Lay off the kid. He is busting his butt. I don't see any of you loudmouths out there in practice or games taking the hits or punishment of college football.

So, I'll call it now for all you Paki bashers. He will bust a TD run for over 25 yards in the first game. Lay off the kid. He is busting his butt. I don't see any of you loudmouths out there in practice or games taking the hits or punishment of college football.

Sir. Yes Sir!

Latest posts