Comparison: Anthony Clemens Vs. Bryce Cartwright

smhawk

Comparing Clemens to Cartwrights Junior year, within available minutes at PG behind Gessell and possibly Marble or even Oglesby how do you believe they'll compare? Clemens seems to have a pretty decent skill set. And has shown in highlights to be scrappy on defense. While Bryce did show flash for Iowa at times, especially his first or Junior season, realistically talent wise he was a backup Bigten PG. But there no shame to be had in that, role players can have a significant impact in winning from big games in NBA playoffs to conference games in the big ten. Iowa has stuggled to find a starting PG let alone a solid backup, baring injury (knock, knock) Iowa's backcourt depth is going to look shockingly different.

Clemens won't have to try to do too much as sometimes Cartwright had to, but I believe even as a freshmen he can have positive impact on Iowas win/lost column.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmyYhu9C2Ew]Anthony Clemmons Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

If AC can play better defense than BC, then he will add significantly to this team... They say he runs an offense very well, with his only weakness being shooting, which can be improved. So, he has a chance to be a definitely increase to our teams talent base. Let's hope he can do it!

I think Clemmons is the hidden jewel in this recruiting class that not many people are talking about. He was the top point guard in Michigan and I think the only reason he was rated so low was because neither Michigan or Michigan State offered, the only other offers he had was mid majors. In Frans up tempo offense it would not surprise me to see Clemmons get minutes as a freshman and everything I hear and see about this kid has been positive.

it will be no comparison. ac will not come close to matching the production or minutes that cartwright put up as a junior.

from a statistical standpoint cartwright put up a top 5 greatest seasons by an iowa point guard ever

it will be no comparison. ac will not come close to matching the production or minutes that cartwright put up as a junior.

from a statistical standpoint cartwright put up a top 5 greatest seasons by an iowa point guard ever

Well duh... that's pretty much a given. Basically a comparison of production per minute average. How will Clemens compare in basic effectiveness when given his chance. Which is sort of unfair, but IMO it wasnt ideal to have a player of Cartwrights talent starting, and starting with no backup. But thank you Lickliter for the empty roster. It'd been nice to pickup Geurro to go along with Bryce for his senior year but Fran didn't have too much to sell to recruits quite yet.

That's nowhere close to being true. All 4 of Ronnie Lester's seasons were statistically better than Cartwright's Jr year. BJ Armstrong's final 3 seasons were all better. All of Andre Woolridge's 3 seasons at Iowa were better. So not even looking at guys like Dean Oliver, Jeff Horner, et al, the best Cartwright's Jr year could rank would be 11th.

That's nowhere close to being true. All 4 of Ronnie Lester's seasons were statistically better than Cartwright's Jr year. BJ Armstrong's final 3 seasons were all better. All of Andre Woolridge's 3 seasons at Iowa were better. So not even looking at guys like Dean Oliver, Jeff Horner, et al, the best Cartwright's Jr year could rank would be 11th.

fail.

cartwright put up 11ppg while putting up the second most assists in school history (behind only dre).

All I had to do was look at the stats of two players to find five statistical years that were clearly better than Cartwright's Jr year. And this isn't even counting Ronnie Lester, who had 4 excellent statistical years, all likely much better than Cartwright's Jr year.
A tip, DuffMan: try to put at least some thought into what you post. It makes for a better message board.
Bryce Cartwright
11 ppg, 5.9apg, 0.9spg, 39% shooting, 28% 3’s, a/t 1.8 (Jr)
BJ Armstrong
17ppg, 4.6apg, 1.0 spg, 48%, 45%, 2.0 a/t (Jr)
19ppg, 5.4 apg, 1.8 spg, 48%, 40% 2.25 a/t (Sr)
Andre Woolridge
14ppg, 5.8apg, 1.3 spg, 48%, 39%, 2.3 a/t (So)
13ppg, 6.0apg, 1.1 spg, 47%, 35%, 2.0 a/t (Jr)
20ppg, 6.1apg, 1.4 spg, 46%, 39%, 1.5 a/t (Sr)

im not making am argument that he was a great pg.

I never said you were. I was addressing this statement you made:

"from a statistical standpoint cartwright put up a top 5 greatest seasons by an iowa point guard ever"

Which I shown to be completely false.

HAHAHHAHAHAHA. You have the audacity to say Woody averaging one block a game is the craziest thing you've ever read on a message board but you rattle off that nonsense. Way to go chump

im not making am argument that he was a great pg.
I never said you were. I was addressing this statement you made: "from a statistical standpoint cartwright put up a top 5 greatest seasons by an iowa point guard ever=" Which I shown to be completely false.

its certainly debateable. again 11 ppg and the second best assist total in the history of the program certainly put him in the conversation.

Bryce led the Big Ten in assists his junior year,so he was not a backup quality pg. He had a very good junior year,and I can only hope that Clemmons could be as good by his junior year. Both guys struggle shooting from the perimeter,but while Bryce struggled with defense,it sounds like that might be Anthony's strength. Hope so. However, Bryce was exceptional in his ability to push the ball and find the scorers. He was also very good in half court dishing. Good free throw shooter also.

Hard to gauge before Anthony Clemmons even gets on the floor,but I am hopeful.

remember bc started out as a backup (imo he was a better pg than the starter from the word go)...then an injury forced him to be a starter...then he did really well and he was expected to do alot...then he got hurt...during his sr yr the team was better with him at pg than marble.

blaming lickliter on him having no back up is sad...yes payne was a lick recruit but he left because he wanted to play and his injury allowed bc time to show he was better...he had no back up because payne decided he couldnt beat bc out...this says more about payne than anything else.

ac wont be as good as bc...bc would start over ac. gesell will be better than bc. ac will be a good defensive pg and back up.

I have to say, Duffman, you've stepped in it this time. Going by his assist numbers, and assist numbers alone, you've got an argument.

But, at the point guard position, there are three metrics that matter as much as assists, and they are: 1. Turnovers, 2. Scoring, 3. Team Winning percentage, not to mention a litany of secondary statistics including: steals, rebounding, FG %, 3 pt % and FT %.

Judging by these variables, without creating a comprehensive algorithm, Cartwright's season ranks no better than 22nd all-time for Iowa PG seasons. Those that beat his include:

Jeff Horner: 2004, 2005, 2006
Dean Oliver: 2000, 2001
Andre Woolridge: 1995, 1996, 1997
B.J. Armstrong: 1987, 1988, 1989
Kenny Arnold: 1981
Ronnie Lester: 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980
Chad Calabria: 1970
Chris Pervall: 1965, 1966
Carl Cain: 1955, 1956

Last edited:

Latest posts