WR: 2012 < 2011
TE: 2012 = 2011
QB: 2012=2011

DL: 2012 > 2011
LB: 2012 > 2011
CB: 2012 = 2011
Safeties: 2012 > 2011

ST: 2012 = 2011

Let's ignore specific reasons that have resulted in the ****** w-l record for the moment. Is there serious disagreement that (with 5-games under the belt) the 2012 team overall looks visibly better than last year's version?

Strongly disagree with QB, 2011 was definitely better. Not sure CB equals last year at this point.

The unfortunate part about the QB play is that last year, it seemed like JVB was lights out at home while struggling on the road. In 2012, we've barely left the confines of Kinnick Stadium and his play looks like this. Nothing like going to MSU for our first road test of the season whilst trying cure the ills of our passing game...

You serious Clark? I would take last years version of JVB over this one any day. His stats are horrid this year.

I think JVB was the same last year, just had McNutt who was outstanding. But I am not about to sreiously nit-pick about jvb...perhaps he has regressed a bit. The point I am trying to validate/understand is whether others also see a better overall on-field product this year (horrible w-l record not withstanding).

Also, I don't know that I'd give the 2012 DL and 2012 LB core dibs over the 2011 versions of each. I suppose at LB, where we've basically had the same starters 2 years in a row, you could say that they are more experienced, but they are the same players. But if the TE position is going to be a push, then I would say the LB's would be as well.

Also, I don't know that I'd give the 2012 DL and 2012 LB core dibs over the 2011 versions of each. I suppose at LB, where we've basically had the same starters 2 years in a row, you could say that they are more experienced, but they are the same players. But if the TE position is going to be a push, then I would say the LB's would be as well.

The DL seems more manly this year. Last year it seemed like anybody could run up the gut on us.

The LB unit is decidedly different this year with better depth to boot. Last year we had a bunch of injured guys on the field. Finally, it is the on-field performance that counts. These guys seem better. An injury or two of course changes things dramatically.

All imho.

The unfortunate part about the QB play is that last year, it seemed like JVB was lights out at home while struggling on the road. In 2012, we've barely left the confines of Kinnick Stadium and his play looks like this. Nothing like going to MSU for our first road test of the season whilst trying cure the ills of our passing game...

Thanks for the pep talk. I almost feel sick thinking about going to MSU.

OL: 2012 = 2011 Run blocking is better this year. Last years line was asked to protect a relatively immobile quarterback in a slow developing passing game. Going to three and five step drops makes the offensive lines job a lot easier, but at what cost?
RB/FB: 2012 = 2011 Weisman seems to read and hit the hole faster than Coker. Coker was better at using his forward momentum to dig for a few more yards through the middle of the pile. Bullock has some interesting possibilties. We'll see?
WR: 2012 < 2011 We don't really have a number one goto WR this year. They are inexperienced and struggling with the new sysem.
TE: 2012 > 2011 Blocking is better in general this year. Fiedorowicz hasn't picked up where he left off at the end of last year but isn't bad. Hamilton has had some flashes here and there. Last year was kind of meh until right at the end.
QB: 2012 < 2011 Take last years negative tendencies and compound the problem with a new system equals a train wreck. We can only hope JVB progresses enough from week to week.

DL: 2012 = 2011 They are healthier than last years line. I don't think they have reached the point were last years line was for the Michigan game. They do seem to be getting better every game though.
LB: 2012 > 2011 Not as banged up as last year. A step faster. Need to work on tackling.
CB: 2012 = 2011 Pretty good. I remember Prater getting picked on at times last year, this year Lowery.
Safeties: 2012 > 2011

K: 2012 > 2011 Kicking game is rock solid.
P: 2012 < 2011 Punting is serviceable but a bit short.
other ST: 2012 = 2011 Solid ball handling if not anything close to explosive. Coverage gaffs have once again caused critical damage.

Not sure if this year's safeties are better than last year's. Miller was young and made some mistakes, but as the season went on he played a lot better. Bernstine last year >>>>>>>>>> Donatell.

I think this year's DL is perceived to be better than last year's DL, simply because the DL was predicted to be very bad this year. So, the fact that they've played okay, it seems as if they're better, when it may be a case of their floor being so low that any accomplishments are overstated. QB is not equal to last year, at least up to now.

Latest posts