Come on fellas we need some updates!

WildTurkey

How are the Nick Moore/Mike Evans matches going?
How close are Clark and Moore to Ramos? Is senior and defending Big 10 champ Blake Rasing really going to give up his spot to a Freshman?

Moore has missed some time with injury so they haven't wrestled much. He will be fine though and ready for the season. I still expect Moore to be the guy at 165.

133 is a close battle again but I still expect it to be treated like last year and expect Ramos to be the guy.

HWT is maybe the best ongoing battle in the room and it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I think that both guys will be given a fair chance to earn the spot no matter how wrestle offs go. I do believe that Telford will eventually be the guy.

ff - I assumed Evans was cutting to 165 because he would be most competitive at that weight and/or he couldn't beat Lofthouse. You're saying you don't expect Evans to be the guy at 165 either. What's the deal with Evans as far as attitude, commitment, etc?

We won't know for a few more years, but it's starting to appear like the Hawks #1 recruiting class won't be as successful as originally hoped. Baldosaro left the program, Dziewa suffered an injury and there's probably not an opening for him anytime soon, and Evans may not be able to find a spot in the lineup. Guess that's the fate of any good program and especially the Hawkeyes. That said, I'm glad these guys are on our team and wish them the best in the practice room and in Carver Hawkeye!

ff - I assumed Evans was cutting to 165 because he would be most competitive at that weight and/or he couldn't beat Lofthouse. You're saying you don't expect Evans to be the guy at 165 either. What's the deal with Evans as far as attitude, commitment, etc?

We won't know for a few more years, but it's starting to appear like the Hawks #1 recruiting class won't be as successful as originally hoped. Baldosaro left the program, Dziewa suffered an injury and there's probably not an opening for him anytime soon, and Evans may not be able to find a spot in the lineup. Guess that's the fate of any good program and especially the Hawkeyes. That said, I'm glad these guys are on our team and wish them the best in the practice room and in Carver Hawkeye!

Moore was in that class too, so someone from that class will be on the mat. Dziewa may not be the guy yet, but Kelley was in that class too and he may be at 149. Telford was in that class and he may be the guy at Hvy. That's at least 4 red-shirt freshman that could be the number 1 guy at their weight, that's pretty productive.

I agree CR...lots of talent in that class that will definitely benefit the Hawks for the next several years. I guess I came across as overly critical, but a lot of the recruiting hype surrounded the 3 guys I mentioned plus Telford. Moore and Kelly were part of what made that recruiting class #1, but I don't recall the main focus being on them from a recruiting stand point. That's a fascinating thing about recruiting, some guys rise and some fall and you can't guarantee who will be in which group.

Some people on other sites are mentioning how Evans has been wrestling "mean" so far. Mean sounds like a good thing to me. Will Moore be able to handle the size advantage Evans should have? I really am excited about wrestle offs this year!

AFHawk, I know exactly what you mean. There was a lot of hype over the east coast recruits that year, but Moore had it too. Kelley was under the radar big time. The out-of-state recruits get so much hype, I think it's a case of the grass is always greener syndrome.

Let me remind you that it was a bunch of East Coast wrestlers with a few implants from other states that beat us last year at Big Tens and Nationals. I like Evans, Moore, Kelly Telford and all our recruits from that No #1 class. Let's address the statement implying Evans , not having the right desire, well if I remember Brands talk at the I-Club he didn't say a word other then he likes the guys in the room and the red shirts and they are doing well. He specfically mentioned Evans in his list of names. He also stated if you didn't hear a name maybe they didn't deserve to be mentioned. So don't go there. I believe Evans will be the guy at 165. Finally my last question How did Moore get injured? Did he get injured wrestling another Hawk wrestler. I will leave it at that.

I'm not saying that Evans isn't doing well or putting in the work. It's not like you can't still be a very good wrestler even if you don't beat Nick Moore or Ethan Lofthouse. Those are all very capable wrestlers and the Hawks will be in good hands regardless. As most of you know, Evans is known for his riding ability and he has had a lot of success with that and even some in the room.

However, Evans is getting better on his feet but still needs quite a bit of work there. I just think that Moore is the more rounded and better overall wrestler at this point in time.

The redshirt freshman class is still very talented and capable and I expect to see many of those names in the Iowa lineup for years to come. I would not be surprised to see any names out of Jake Ballweg, Mike Kelly, Nick Moore, Mike Evans, or Bobby Telford in the lineup at some point this year. Dziewa will have a tougher road this year but will keep working and have his shot in the next year or two.

Until Evans develops his offense from his feet he is going to struggle to beat the top guys in college. I don't care how mean he is from the top, which has been somewhat exaggerated, he has to be able to take down the best. A lot of people have put him in the Mark Perry category as far as rising skills, he certainly has the potential, but is not in that league yet.

I can't wait to see the wrestle off between Moore and Evans as it will be a contrast of styles. Lots of questions will be answered......Will Evans being the bigger of the two have any impact?........Will Moore finish his various lower level attacks?.......Will Moore be able to get out from bottom?.........Will Evans even get the chance to ride Moore?

Latest posts