Column: Offense Remains Work in Progress

Coming back from major injury has both mental and physical components to it, layered on top of a brand new offense. They are a week into camp. He needs reps to build his confidence AND rebuild his muscle memory. Missing easy out patterns is the perfect example of something that goes away and requires repetition to get back.

That said, I too hope that the QB starting position is not a coronation. You have one very experienced back-up and another guy who has played some as well.

Unlike Brian, Lester played and coached the QB position. He will either get Cade back into playing form or he will convince KF he does not have it. I believe KF will defer much more to Lester's judgment in this regard, and Lester has no loyalty to Cade as he did not bring him on campus. Lester will advocate for the best QB to start.

Time will tell.
I hope you're right.

It's early to be making any projections on QB play during the season.
That said, I have been skeptical of Cade's ability to lead Iowa to the promised land of offensive success (as many on this board seem to believe). The only point of reference for me was his limited appearance last year which was mediocre at best, against fairly weak competition. Combined with his injuries, I feel he may no longer have the ability to deliver what is needed for this program. I hope I am wrong.
I am more enthused about Sullivan, who appears to be a better choice in terms of durability, recent game experience and performance.

It's early to be making any projections on QB play during the season.
That said, I have been skeptical of Cade's ability to lead Iowa to the promised land of offensive success (as many on this board seem to believe). The only point of reference for me was his limited appearance last year which was mediocre at best, against fairly weak competition. Combined with his injuries, I feel he may no longer have the ability to deliver what is needed for this program. I hope I am wrong.
I am more enthused about Sullivan, who appears to be a better choice in terms of durability, recent game experience and performance.
The only thing that concerns me about Cade is that he has a glass jaw. If he is 100% healthy and back into playing shape, which he seems to not quite be there yet, he is the guy. By all accounts, he is a strong leader, smart, makes good decisions, has pocket presence, and can distribute the ball. What we saw of him last year in limited action was a kid playing on one leg. The Michigan film tells me all I need to know about his ceiling. But again, he isn't that guy right now and may never get back there.

Sullivan is a hell of an option 2 and his game mirrors Lainez as well. If Cade is not the guy, Lester could put more QB runs into the arsenal. Either way, I would be designing some run packages for Sullivan and get those into the game plan.

However this shakes out, all three QBs in the room are light years better than the QB room last year.