Column: Caitlin Clark Pro Show Still A Mystery

We all know there's been lots of CC hype of all kinds since she joined the W, good and bad. This article sums it up about the best I've read as to what has really been happening. Even Jackie Robinson is mentioned.

The article is well-written, and I agree with his premise. I would argue, though, that Tiger Woods is a much better analogy than Jackie Robinson.

What this writer, and many others, are missing somewhat is that rookie "hazing" and intimidation is one thing, but cheap shots that seem to come from vitriol and pettiness are another. In all sports, some degree of a rough initiation to a professional league is accepted as part of the process, especially if you are coming in with a lot of fanfare.

But, with Caitlin, many would argue that there is something going on that is much more insidious and malevolent.

Reading the Summer edition of the "IOWA Magazine", (pages 18 & 19), it had a brief write up about all of the 19 athletes with U of Iowa ties who are Paris Olympics bound.

dagdaj wrote above that he'd watch Iowans in the Olympics, like Artur Wojdat, the Iowa swimmer who swam for his native Poland. Fortunately, there are 4 former Hawkeye basketball players who will be on other nations' Olympic teams:

Luka Garza, who will play for Bosnia, (Luka has dual citizenship):
Megan Gustafson, teammate of Kate Martin on the two-time defending WNBA champions Las Vegas Aces, who will play for Spain (she played pro hoops in Spain in the WNBA off season, and was granted citizenship in Spain this year);
Peter Jok
will play for South Sudan, which qualified for its first ever men's basketball Olympics (the article didn't say what he tie in with South Sudan is)
Tomi Taiwo, who is the daughter of Nigerian immigrants and played on their National Team as it qualified for the Paris Olympics.
I'm prefacing what I'm about to say with that I'm all for those with family ties to other countries being able to do what they are. Garza, Jok Taiwo I'll be rooting for them all to represent themselves well.

That said I'm not too crazy about what Megan is doing. I think I'd read that she has no family or prior ties to Spain. I think she played professionally in England this last yr. I'm not sure she's played for a Spanish team at all before now. So to go through the duel citizenship process JUST TO PLAY IN THE OLYMPICS with no family ties just doesn't sit well with me.

Tell me if I'm wrong but it feels like anyone can go play for anyone if they just apply for duel citizenship in time to do it. I can't see the system being setup this way as being within the spirt of what it's supposed to be all about. But maybe that's just me.

Like what are the requirements to being able to be a duel citizen anyway? Just don't have a criminal history and be able to fill out the forms? They must not have any time spent in the country requirements tied to it either. I'm sure there's a fee of some sort but is that it?

Last edited:
If the US team won't take you and you can still play in the Olympics I say do it. If CC ends up playing for Canada so be it.

I read an interview where Megan talked about this. Don't remember exact details but it was something like this. Each Olympic team can have two non born players or maybe two non citizens. Those teams can invite playhers to join their team if they meet certain requirements, maybe that's citizenship. And, that's what Megan did, became a dual citizen.

I believe Luka Garza did the same thing, became a Bosnian citizen so he could play on their Olympic team, but I haven't seen anything saying he's on the team.

And, the Guyton girl, may be on the Brazilian team. Her mother is Brazilian, and I believe played basketball. Alyiah, or however its spelled, has played on Brazilian national youth teams. I assume she's a dual citizen. I read where the Olympics might be an option, but she had that knee injury, and I don't know that she's ready to play full bore.

I read an interview where Megan talked about this. Don't remember exact details but it was something like this. Each Olympic team can have two non born players or maybe two non citizens. Those teams can invite playhers to join their team if they meet certain requirements, maybe that's citizenship. And, that's what Megan did, became a dual citizen.

I believe Luka Garza did the same thing, became a Bosnian citizen so he could play on their Olympic team, but I haven't seen anything saying he's on the team.

And, the Guyton girl, may be on the Brazilian team. Her mother is Brazilian, and I believe played basketball. Alyiah, or however its spelled, has played on Brazilian national youth teams. I assume she's a dual citizen. I read where the Olympics might be an option, but she had that knee injury, and I don't know that she's ready to play full bore.
Garzas lineage is of Bosnian decent. I believe his Mom was from there. At least there's a straight line tie in.

What Megan is doing to me is like if the Jamaicans wanted to bring in Russians to be on their bobsled team. It just feels wrong.

I didn't know what all rules they had to it but I figured they had some as far as 2 non borns or whatever. Is what it is I'm probably the only one whining about it and yelling at clouds over here

Let the games begin. I expect the ex-Hawks will all shine. I hope CC plays for someone and embarrasses the hell out of the rest of the world.