Columbus, OH

Hawkeyes,

Hey there. OSU fan, alumni and life long Buckeye here that's followed Hawkeyenation for the better part of six months now. Finally decided to come out of my hiding; lol.

I'm eager just like the rest of you for football to start and for Big Ten season to kick into gear. With that said, we've got a matchup together in Columbus October 19th and I'm hoping its a good game like that last two have been. Not sure if any of you are making the trip to Columbus to support your team and check a stadium off your list but I'd be happy to answer any of your questions about the campus, bars, traditions, restaurants, the stadium, tickets, parking and just about anything else related to Ohio State and Columbus. Feel free to ask anything and I'll do my best answer all questions leading up to the game in this thread. Conversely feel free to ask anything else...

Looking forward to another great season of football and wish you guys the best of luck this year with KF and the team.

Last edited:
Is Thurmond's (sp?) still there? When I lived there it was a dump but had great HUGE burgers.

Lived there '87-'97 ......have a daughter that graduated from tOSU and a son that fell victim to the scarlet and gray as well. Nice city but don't miss the congestion. It's definitely a college town. I remember they used to say it was the largest city in the U.S. without a major professional sport's franchise......then they got their NHL franchise about the time we moved.

Saw the last 2 victories by the Hawks in the Shoe......both notable victories but of course there's been a few losses as well :)
Still know a number of good Hawk fans out that way.

Bogey Inn, Damon's Ribs, Schmidt's Restaurant, Pizza House, Talitas all used to be some of our casual restaurant choices. Hyde Park for more upscale and great steaks.

Looking forward to seeing your fair city next summer, seeing the sites like Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Thurmond's. As for the game this year? Hope springs eternal that the Hawks will decide to play their A game in Columbus and have the personnel to do so.

Lived there '87-'97 ......have a daughter that graduated from tOSU and a son that fell victim to the scarlet and gray as well. Nice city but don't miss the congestion. It's definitely a college town. I remember they used to say it was the largest city in the U.S. without a major professional sport's franchise......then they got their NHL franchise about the time we moved.

Saw the last 2 victories by the Hawks in the Shoe......both notable victories but of course there's been a few losses as well :)
Still know a number of good Hawk fans out that way.

Bogey Inn, Damon's Ribs, Schmidt's Restaurant, Pizza House, Talitas all used to be some of our casual restaurant choices. Hyde Park for more upscale and great steaks.

Couldn't find pizza worth a damn in that city but Hyde Park is one of the best steakhouses in the country. I thought it was better than most I have found in NYC or Chicago. I miss Schmidts and Hyde Park is only good at the Old Henderson road restaurant.

For going to a game, it still isn't as neat as going to its big brothers house in Ann Arbor.

Is Thurmond's (sp?) still there? When I lived there it was a dump but had great HUGE burgers.

Yep, Thurman Cafe is still there and you can still get the Huge Burger you reference. Not sure what it looked then but they've fixed up the cafe and surrounding German Village quite well to make it more appealing. Busy place but great food.

I also attached a picture of one of their burgers to show just how big they are. The guy from Man vs. Food did the Thurman Challenge a few years back.

thurmanator.jpg

I like Cheesecake.

Apple Cheesecake is the best.

Welcome to Hawkeye Nation Cheesecake.

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully, I don't ruffle to many feathers here and get a nice welcome like I did when we went to Iowa City in 2010. Great food, great tailgate, and great experience all around. That's another story for another day though. :)

Couldn't find pizza worth a damn in that city but Hyde Park is one of the best steakhouses in the country. I thought it was better than most I have found in NYC or Chicago. I miss Schmidts and Hyde Park is only good at the Old Henderson road restaurant.

For going to a game, it still isn't as neat as going to its big brothers house in Ann Arbor.

Ha. That's shocking for a place with a high pizza per capita rate in the city. There's a pizza place nearly on every corner. Heck, when I was in the school, I'd passed seven on them on the ride home. Must have been a different route for you. ;)

Yep, Thurman Cafe is still there and you can still get the Huge Burger you reference. Not sure what it looked then but they've fixed up the cafe and surrounding German Village quite well to make it more appealing. Busy place but great food.

I also attached a picture of one of their burgers to show just how big they are. The guy from Man vs. Food did the Thurman Challenge a few years back.

thurmanator.jpg

Scary thing is, I'm 51 years old and I was GLUED to that episode!

Welcome to HN, glad you enjoyed Iowa City. The 'Shoe is one of the B1G stadiums I haven't had the privilege to see a game. Some day...

So the Hawks could be undefeated going into week seven against the Buckeyes, or they could be 0-6 and the fanbase could be suicidal by then. Other than that, everything is great.

Thread Bump: Road Call for Columbus. Anyone going?

Got questions, feel free to ask me. Hoping for a well contested game. Regardless of the results, safe travel to your fans and team coming and hope for no injuries at the end of the game.

Where are all the speed traps? I know they like to nab out of state drivers there.

Lol. That depends on where you are coming from. If it's from the west, you'll likely be coming in from I-70 and Dayton. Springfield and Huber Heights has a fair amount along the way. It's not too bad. If you're coming from I-90w, they are everywhere, especially the closer you get to Toledo. Going down I-77 south: Ashland, Lodi, Mt.Gilead, Sunberry and Lexington are speed traps for sure. Not sure about the other routes as I ride those less frequently.

I'll be honest, the cops here are douchebags.

Hawkeyes,

Hey there. OSU fan, alumni and life long Buckeye here that's followed Hawkeyenation for the better part of six months now. Finally decided to come out of my hiding; lol.

I'm eager just like the rest of you for football to start and for Big Ten season to kick into gear. With that said, we've got a matchup together in Columbus October 19th and I'm hoping its a good game like that last two have been. Not sure if any of you are making the trip to Columbus to support your team and check a stadium off your list but I'd be happy to answer any of your questions about the campus, bars, traditions, restaurants, the stadium, tickets, parking and just about anything else related to Ohio State and Columbus. Feel free to ask anything and I'll do my best answer all questions leading up to the game in this thread. Conversely feel free to ask anything else...

Looking forward to another great season of football and wish you guys the best of luck this year with KF and the team.

Where's the best bar to get "pity shots" after the game. It could be brutal..hope your fans are sympathetic

Latest posts