Colorado Tabs Brody Brecht in MLB Draft

2nd round... Guess he shoulda stuck with football.... JK JK. I bet he's a little bummed about not going sooner but if he does well and gets in the big leagues in 2-3 yrs and has a long career he'll be just fine. Does anyone remember where most baseball players get picked? Just a small handful of the 1st overall guys that have done well I do but for the most part I sure don't not like the other sports anyway. Baseball is different like that.

Kind of disappointed for him, not so much the draft spot but the org. As discussed extensively by prospect analysts, he really needs to improve his command and fastball shape, but the raw materials are there.

Was hoping he would go in the Orioles/Dodgers/Braves/Yankees area of the first round, all among the very best orgs for player development; instead he ended up with the worst.

2nd round... Guess he shoulda stuck with football.... JK JK. I bet he's a little bummed about not going sooner but if he does well and gets in the big leagues in 2-3 yrs and has a long career he'll be just fine. Does anyone remember where most baseball players get picked? Just a small handful of the 1st overall guys that have done well I do but for the most part I sure don't not like the other sports anyway. Baseball is different like that.
He's got bad control issues and has his whole HS and college career. Once he gets to A ball he's gonna face a different animal hitter-wise. Those guys hardly ever swing at bad pitches even at that level, and the umpires are waaaaaay. better. You aren't going to get those borderline strikes like you do from NCAA flunkies making $250 a game. Brecht's BB/9 was 5.6 which was down from last year but still way, way too high. Hit 12 batters and threw 10 wild pitches as well. His ERA shows it.

I know people like to bring up his velo, but even at A ball those hitters are seeing 100 mph every day. Guys throwing that hard are a dime a dozen and have the disadvantage that almost all of them end up with Tommy John and give up a year and a half. TJ surgery is so common it's pretty much a given now. 100 mph is not a magic number and hitters are just crazy good nowadays in the minors/majors.

To top it off, there is AA, AAA, and the show after you get through A ball, and at each level the hitters get exponentially better, not just linearly. He's got a long hill to climb and scouts know that which is likely why he dropped so far. 2nd round ain't terrible though.

He's got bad control issues and has his whole HS and college career. Once he gets to A ball he's gonna face a different animal hitter-wise. Those guys hardly ever swing at bad pitches even at that level, and the umpires are waaaaaay. better. You aren't going to get those borderline strikes like you do from NCAA flunkies making $250 a game. Brecht's BB/9 was 5.6 which was down from last year but still way, way too high. Hit 12 batters and threw 10 wild pitches as well. His ERA shows it.

I know people like to bring up his velo, but even at A ball those hitters are seeing 100 mph every day. Guys throwing that hard are a dime a dozen and have the disadvantage that almost all of them end up with Tommy John and give up a year and a half. TJ surgery is so common it's pretty much a given now. 100 mph is not a magic number and hitters are just crazy good nowadays in the minors/majors.

To top it off, there is AA, AAA, and the show after you get through A ball, and at each level the hitters get exponentially better, not just linearly. He's got a long hill to climb and scouts know that which is likely why he dropped so far. 2nd round ain't terrible though.
Saw they had him listed at 235... I couldn't help but think if he keeps bulking up he coulda been a TE. Yeah like every pitcher he's gonna have an uphill climb to making it. Throwing hard is great but ya gotta be able to throw strikes. And not just strikes but paint the corners. You gotta work the outer third of the plate on both sides cause anything in the middle is likely to get smashed. Unless your stuff is just that good.

He needs an off speed pitch and to improve hitting the strike zone more and until he does that he'll be in the minors. But at least he'll be a millionaire while doing it

Latest posts