college football tv contracts

tiberius

I realize common knowledge says the tv contracts will keep getting larger. I think it may be like the housing bubble when every other channel had a flip a house and get rich show. With a growing number of people cutting the cable, myself included, how can tv contracts grow? With netflix, huluu, and espn360, how many are going to keep paying $60+ to get cable/sat?

In 5 years cable/sat. may be like newspapers are now maybe as little as 2 years. We will see a lot of change in how media in general is presented.

Don't you have to be a subscriber to get ESPN360? Is Hulu 100% free? Netflix has to pay production companies money to use their movies.

In 5 years cable/sat. may be like newspapers are now maybe as little as 2 years. We will see a lot of change in how media in general is presented.

I wonder what the BTN plan is to deal with this. They did a good job getting placed on basic cable, but I see this as a declining market.

Don't you have to be a subscriber to get ESPN360? Is Hulu 100% free? Netflix has to pay production companies money to use their movies.

I get espn360.com with mediacom internet. Huluu+ is $7.99 and I think Netflix is also around $7.99.
For $16 a month I just can't justify getting cable/sat tv.

Last edited:
I wonder what the BTN plan is to deal with this. They did a good job getting placed on basic cable, but I see this as a declining market.
They will get their money one way or another. As we saw just recently (channelsurfing.net) the feds will go after anyone who does not have the rights to the shows, movies or games.

Is music free? No it is just delivered in a different way.

I get espn360.com with mediacom internet. Huluu+ is $7.99 and I think Netflix is also around $7.99.
For $16 a month I just can't justify getting cable/sat tv.

Is your internet free?

I'm not sure what you can get with Hulu but it can't be as many channels as you get through satellite or cable. If you get creative you can get internet and cable for under $100 a month, maybe not as cheap as what you got right now but it can't be that much more because your mediacom internet has to run you $50 or more a month if you don't have any of their other services. Cable isn't going anywhere for a while.

Is your internet free?

I'm not sure what you can get with Hulu but it can't be as many channels as you get through satellite or cable. If you get creative you can get internet and cable for under $100 a month, maybe not as cheap as what you got right now but it can't be that much more because your mediacom internet has to run you $50 or more a month if you don't have any of their other services. Cable isn't going anywhere for a while.

I have internet and broadcast basic which is around $45. I called to get digital cable and they wanted another $40+ which didn't seem worth it to me. Netflix an Huluu+ have a lot more I want to watch then digital cable.

Is your internet free?

So say his cable is $50 add the $8 for hulu+ he's paying $58 for just watching the shows he wants to watch. Compared to $100. $42 is a good savings. I think you would be surprised how many people are ditching cable/satellite. I have not done it because there is sports programing I can't get just online legally.

I have internet and broadcast basic which is around $45. I called to get digital cable and they wanted another $40+ which didn't seem worth it to me. Netflix an Huluu+ have a lot more I want to watch then digital cable.

Fair enough, I'm paying around $80 for Dish Network and Qwest internet and for the extra $20 of not running crap through my computer, wii, PS3 or whatever to my tv is worth the extra for the convenience of just grabbing the remote, turning on the tv and punching 4 numbers on my remote for the channel I want.

We have a pacage deal with Quest or what ever it is being called now that includes.
Direct TV, 2 Verizon phones with unlimited data packages, high speed internet, home phone all of 215 a month.

Im just happy I don't have to mess with mediacom anymore.

We have a pacage deal with Quest or what ever it is being called now that includes.
Direct TV, 2 Verizon phones with unlimited data packages, high speed internet, home phone all of 215 a month.

Im just happy I don't have to mess with mediacom anymore.

So say his cable is $50 add the $8 for hulu+ he's paying $58 for just watching the shows he wants to watch. Compared to $100. $42 is a good savings. I think you would be surprised how many people are ditching cable/satellite. I have not done it because there is sports programing I can't get just online legally.

Then the $8 for netflix he is now at $66 and as I said I pay $80 for cable and internet and for the extra programming I get with satellite and convenience that extra $14 is worth it for me and the reason cable or satellite isn't going away.

Isn't going away right now. In 5 years the media platforms will be vastly different. How technology quickly advances it may be as little as 2 where cable and sat. companies will feel some pain.

Last edited:
Then the $8 for netflix he is now at $66 and as I said I pay $80 for cable and internet and for the extra programming I get with satellite and convenience that extra $14 is worth it for me and the reason cable or satellite isn't going away.

$80 for internet/cable sounds like a great deal, is it a promo?

Fair enough, I'm paying around $80 for Dish Network and Qwest internet and for the extra $20 of not running crap through my computer, wii, PS3 or whatever to my tv is worth the extra for the convenience of just grabbing the remote, turning on the tv and punching 4 numbers on my remote for the channel I want.

I agree. I also don't think I'd get the shows I want to watch with hulu. Certainly not sports (yet -- I know it's a matter of time and my opinion might change in a few years).

$80 for internet/cable sounds like a great deal, is it a promo?

Yes I get the internet through Qwest for $20 a month and my Dish is $60 a month. Once the two years is up with Qwest they are just like any other company and you can call and threaten to cancel and they give you the same price. It isn't as fast as Meidacom's but is fast enough for me.