College Football Report - Week 3

SteveDeace

If I Had a Vote in the AP Poll
How I would rank the top 25 teams in the country based on how they’re playing now.

1. Alabama (3-0)…Gave Arkansas its first home shutout since 1966, which was also its most lopsided SEC victory since the 1950s.

2. LSU (3-0)…A whopping eight LSU players are averaging 4.8 yards per rushing attempt or better in the first three games of season.

3. Georgia (3-0)…He’s not generating the headlines of some other top freshmen, but Todd Gurley is averaging 9.9 yards per carry on 28 rushing attempts.

4. Florida (3-0)…Back-to-back come-from-behind road wins in College Station and Knoxville means the Gators are back.

5. Oregon (3-0)…The big news this week was the season-ending injuries suffered by their best defensive back and best offensive lineman.

6. Stanford (3-0)…Vaults way up in the rankings after beating USC for the fourth straight time for the first time in school history.

7. Notre Dame (3-0)…Irish haven’t beaten Michigan and Michigan State in the same season since 2004.

8. Florida State (3-0)…Finally played a team with a pulse, and punished a Wake Forest squad that has been a thorn in their sides for years.

9. Texas (2-0)…After struggling last season, quarterback David Ash has seven touchdown passes and zero interceptions thus far.

10. Clemson (3-0)…That opening win in Atlanta against Auburn isn’t looking like such a big deal nowadays.

11. West Virginia (2-0)…If you’re waiting for the Mountaineers to play somebody, you’ll have to wait another week with hapless Maryland on deck.

12. Oklahoma (2-0)…Got a week off to prepare for a visit from Kansas State.

13. USC (2-1)…Matt Barkley’s Heisman campaign, as well as the Trojans’ national title dreams, bought the Farm.

14. UCLA (3-0)…No letdown after big win over Nebraska with Pac-12 opener versus Oregon State on deck.

15. Kansas State (3-0)…Wildcats certainly looked like a team playing a sandwich game against North Texas.

16. South Carolina (3-0)…Still have no idea how good this team really is, but we do know Marcus Lattimore still isn’t quite all the way back.

17. Louisville (3-0)…Jumped out to a big lead against North Carolina, and then held on for dear life to get the win.

18. Michigan (2-1)…Will the Wolverines perform better in this primetime spot than they did in the opener against Alabama?

19. Arizona (3-0)…We’ll find out just how far the Wildcats have come in year one under Rich Rodriguez at Oregon this week.

20. Michigan State (2-1)…Not even a tremendous defense can overcome worst home offensive performance since 1991.

21. Mississippi State (3-0)…Survived an upset bid on the road in an letdown spot, and now could be 7-0 when Alabama comes calling October 27[SUP]th[/SUP].

22. Oregon State (1-0)…Got a week off to recover from big win over Wisconsin and get ready for UCLA this week.

23. Tennessee (2-1)…Second half against Florida showed the Vols still aren’t all the way back quite yet, but the Gators are.

24. Iowa State (3-0)…Have held consecutive opponents without an offensive touchdown in the same season for the first time since 1959.

25. Nebraska (2-1)…Somebody has to be ranked here, so we’ll give a traditional power the benefit of the doubt.

Honorable Mention:

26. TCU (2-0), 27. Baylor (2-0), 28. Northwestern (3-0), 29. Rutgers (3-0), 30. Texas A&M (1-1).

Cheers & Jeers

Cheers to…Connecticut. Former Coach Randy Edsall never addressed his team when he left for Maryland. The Huskies paid him back two years later by beating him on the road on Saturday.

Jeers to…Arkansas. Down 52-0 on a gloomy, rainy day in Fayetteville, the Razorbacks quit according to star quarterback Tyler Wilson.

Cheers to…Utah. The Utes bounced back from losing to Utah State and losing their starting quarterback for the season to upset arch-rival BYU in the Holy War.

Jeers to…The Big Ten. The woes continue. Northwestern has three of the league’s four non-conference wins against BCS conference foes. This week, Ohio State and Wisconsin were each outplayed in home wins over double-digit underdogs. Michigan State’s home winning streak was snapped. Minnesota lost its starting quarterback. Indiana leads the league in total offense, and lost to Ball State at home.

Cheers to…The Sun Belt Conference. The “mid-major†league now has two road wins against the SEC after Western Kentucky won at Kentucky this week. Is the Sun Belt better than the Big Ten?

Jeers to…Colorado. The sorry Buffaloes make this list for the second straight week after giving up 69 points to Fresno State, and are now the only BCS Conference program with a 0-3 record. Paging Bill McCartney.

Big Ones
The top five games of next weekend.

Clemson at Florida State…The unstoppable offense versus the immovable defense calls for a visit from College Gameday.

Michigan at Notre Dame…For the first time since 2006 both teams are ranked in the annual rivalry of college football’s winningest teams.

Oregon State at UCLA…Before the season who would’ve thought these teams would be ranked for this matchup?

Arizona at Oregon…Rich Rodriguez versus his padawan Chip Kelly. Think there will be some points scored in this one?

Kansas State at Oklahoma…Guessing Bill Snyder took a look at how UTEP ran the ball down the Sooners’ throats.

ISU's little parade in the sunlight is about to come to an end soon. TTech is going to hang 40+ on them and it's all downhill from there until the Kansas game.

Yeah, The Big 12 is a very big pond these days! ISU is not one of their bigger fish swimming in it.
We'd be a minnow in that pond.

Things will start getting shaken up here once the conference games are in full swing. ISU has played well, but I don't see them having much luck in the Big12 this year.

Big 12 is loaded. Every team besides Kansas is good. Iowa State will have to play really well to get to 7 wins.

Thank god we are in the Big 10. Seriously we are not a good team this year but we should be able to get 7-8 wins out of the schedule.

Things will start getting shaken up here once the conference games are in full swing. ISU has played well, but I don't see them having much luck in the Big12 this year.

I don't either. Looks like about half of the teams in their conference are in the top of the top 25 on all of the polls, before our first Big 10 teams finally makes an appearance. They lost Missouri and Nebraska out of their conference, both good teams and usually stronger than ISU, and who did they gain? West Virginia and TCU!!! LOL Two more very good, very highly ranked teams. Really a tough powerhouse conference to be in. But they plug along there and seem to have improvement these last several years, beating us more than we beat them for quite a few years now, and they get in their share of fun upset wins in their conference too.

But in two weeks they face their conference teams, so their streak may have just run out.

ISU's little parade in the sunlight is about to come to an end soon. TTech is going to hang 40+ on them and it's all downhill from there until the Kansas game.
Doubtful as Rhoads has Tubby's number. Do a little background and you will realize that CPR was Tubby's DC at Auburn. He knows Tubberville's tendencies, and thoroughly destroyed him last year in Lubbock. Expect ISU to jump into both the AP & Coaches poll after next week. Frankly, I don't put much weight in the popularity contest known as the polls, but I will be interested in the power ratings that actually use quantatative analysis to determine the strength of a team, such as Sagarin.

We will see Vogs. You are fortunate that the hawks managed to get by NIU because one half of our bet may have been riding on that outcome.

Doubtful as Rhoads has Tubby's number. Do a little background and you will realize that CPR was Tubby's DC at Auburn. He knows Tubberville's tendencies, and thoroughly destroyed him last year in Lubbock. Expect ISU to jump into both the AP & Coaches poll after next week. Frankly, I don't put much weight in the popularity contest known as the polls, but I will be interested in the power ratings that actually use quantatative analysis to determine the strength of a team, such as Sagarin.

Tommy Tubs hasn't had a good team to work with the last two years. That changes this year as he now gets his recruits in place. On top of that, Tubs should be expecting a very hot seat if he doesn't get his **** in gear down there. TTech wins easily over teh clowns.

Tommy Tubs hasn't had a good team to work with the last two years. That changes this year as he now gets his recruits in place. On top of that, Tubs should be expecting a very hot seat if he doesn't get his **** in gear down there. TTech wins easily over teh clowns.
Happy to wager with you...hawk fans are known to wager with their heart and not their heads, but I will happily take your $$$$.

The problem with polls is that nobody who votes actually sees all the teams who play. They watch ESPN highlights and ingest all that ESPN spews out.

Texas Tech has looked really good this year and beat some really good teams to get to 3-0........

Texas Tech has looked really good this year and beat some really good teams to get to 3-0........
I am guessing you post with tongue in cheek. TT opponents are as follows:
Texas State - Sagarin rating #150
New Mexico - Sagarin rating #151
Northwestern St - Sagarin rating #158

I guess you maybe right.....3 powerhouses.

Oregon State at UCLA…Before the season who would’ve thought these teams would be ranked for this matchup?

lulz - the only poll with Oregon State ranked is his own and yet he offers a pre-game footnote based on said mythical poll.

We will see Vogs. You are fortunate that the hawks managed to get by NIU because one half of our bet may have been riding on that outcome.

We will both win and it will be a push. ISU will win 3 conference games (I don't know which ones, but they should squeeze out 3). Iowa will get to 6 wins before the Clones do....

Big 12 is loaded. Every team besides Kansas is good. Iowa State will have to play really well to get to 7 wins.

Thank god we are in the Big 10. Seriously we are not a good team this year but we should be able to get 7-8 wins out of the schedule.

And we know this because the B12 has great non conference wins over ________.

Please fill in the blank.

Latest posts