College FB Attendance waning

I believe there is a consensus emerging that fans would rather have a 6-game home schedule with 6 decent games instead of 7 home games with 2 or 3 crappy games. The bigten should move to conference games, then have 2 other games against 2 other decent teams.

Plus 2 bye weeks in the month of october when the weather is ideal for football is nuts. Iowa has 1 home game in october. They should have at least 1 bye week in November when its darker and weather is more hit and miss.

Um, it snowed (just flurries) on October 10, 2009 when Michigan was in town. Once the calendar turns from September to October in the Midwest, every weekend is a crap shoot. S'psoed to be 48 for the 'Cats-Badgers game this Saturday and it was around 80 last weekend.

Um, it snowed (just flurries) on October 10, 2009 when Michigan was in town. Once the calendar turns from September to October in the Midwest, every weekend is a crap shoot. S'psoed to be 48 for the 'Cats-Badgers game this Saturday and it was around 80 last weekend.

Perfect. Have one of those SEC teams come to Madison, Iowa City, or Lincoln and place in 25 degree weather with blowing snow.

Perfect. Have one of those SEC teams come to Madison, Iowa City, or Lincoln and place in 25 degree weather with blowing snow.

Why? would they schedule to play in that lol.

I'm 45 and certainly not trying to fast-forward to my retirement years, but when that time comes I know one thing is certain I won't be dealing with the cold and snow anymore. :)

We drop $1000+ 3 x per year to stay in a nice hotel for 2 nights, eat and get 4 tix... Good folks from the Fnd get them, so tickets are just price.

In 8 years when the oldest is through college we'll likely move back to eastern Ia and play the transactional game...requisite donation, err seat license, to get good seats. Real donations are going to other parts of the university.

Since we live a ways away with an active HSer I got to admit I like the games at home... Hawks on the big screen, other games on the smaller one, checking in with you knuckle heads in the game thread... With cold cocktails a step or two away.

I have long thought iowa right sized Kinnick. Bump had a very thorough study done... Visionary. 70k was the sweet spot. I think a future renovation could give more wiggle room and add amenities by dropping 5 to 10,000 seats. Will probably be considered if these national trend continue

I love the experience of Kinnick and went to every home game when I was at school there from 00-04 but now days the cost and hassle is too much.

Every year I get to one game solo and come back the same day, which means I only buy one ticket and spend 8 hours that day driving to watch a 3 hour game. I hit the road at 5am and get home around 7 or 8. Even that ends up costing me $200 for all things considered.

One of these years Ill say enough and just stay home and watch on tv, see every play clearly and avoid the hassle

It really is an all day commitment and if you are married with kids I can see how it can be difficult to get to games 6 or 7 times a year. As several people have already pointed out given the television experience at home it is just easier to stay there.

There has been a lot of good feedback in this thread alone. My question is, "Who is responsible to gather concerns and criticisms and do something about it?" Is it the AD? or Is it it the ticket management unit?

Obviously the product on the field sways some folks. Iowa overall has avoided the problems we see at Purdue and Illinois even though Iowa has not been as good as ardent fans desire. The new facilities can't hurt recruiting, only help. The point is that Iowa is in a better position for the future than where it was five years ago.

Staying competitive is vitally important to maintaining the fan base. Iowa fans remain some of the most loyal in all of college sports, but the new generation of fans may not be as loyal. For those of us following the Hawkeyes since our childhood in the 50's there has been some really bad periods and some good ones. The final year of the Fry era and the first two of Ferentz's are about the longest streak of losing seasons Iowa has experienced in the last 35 years. If you are younger than 45 you cannot understand how much it meant to see Iowa finally go to the Rose Bowl after a 20+ year absence and end the streak of losing seasons in Fry's third year. Attendance ran around 40K for a game before Fry.

The older Iowa crowd is going to show up pretty much in time of thick or thin, so the athletic department needs to really tune into Gen X, Gen Y and the Millennial generations. Make it affordable for them to attend, quit answering to TV and answer first to the fans that show up for the games, and add more value to the ticket. Nothing says you can't have a party inside Kinnick stadium after a game where students and alumni could share a beverage, some entertainment, and what appeals to the younger audience. You could turn Kinnick into a outdoor sports saloon using the video boards to show other games.

This is a great idea.. You could switch to other games of national importance or other BIG games. They now have a great video and sound systems..USe them..They make more money from concessions. The other idea is open the stadium for away Iowa games. Charge a nominal fee to get in and have open concessions like a spring game.

We drop $1000+ 3 x per year to stay in a nice hotel for 2 nights, eat and get 4 tix... Good folks from the Fnd get them, so tickets are just price.

In 8 years when the oldest is through college we'll likely move back to eastern Ia and play the transactional game...requisite donation, err seat license, to get good seats. Real donations are going to other parts of the university.

Since we live a ways away with an active HSer I got to admit I like the games at home... Hawks on the big screen, other games on the smaller one, checking in with you knuckle heads in the game thread... With cold cocktails a step or two away.

I have long thought iowa right sized Kinnick. Bump had a very thorough study done... Visionary. 70k was the sweet spot. I think a future renovation could give more wiggle room and add amenities by dropping 5 to 10,000 seats. Will probably be considered if these national trend continue

You mean more sky box or club type seating for the big rollers?

You mean more sky box or club type seating for the big rollers?

Not nessesarily. Maybe. Wifi, chairs instead of bleachers on the east and west perhaps. Or at least spread them out. Alleviates some concourse congestion, comfort... Keeps supply and demand at the right ratio. Similar to what Standford did.

Kinnick is intimate and tight. Place would still be plenty loud. Plenty profitable

Yes, not sure if it's worse when everyone is bundled up, or the big fella or gal is all sweaty during a September game. I think they'd like the chair better too

I believe there is a consensus emerging that fans would rather have a 6-game home schedule with 6 decent games instead of 7 home games with 2 or 3 crappy games. The bigten should move to 10 conference games, then have 2 other games against 2 other decent teams.

Plus 2 bye weeks in the month of october when the weather is ideal for football is nuts. Iowa has 1 home game in october. They should have at least 1 bye week in November when its darker and weather is more hit and miss.

There didnt use to be bye weeks because people didnt d##k around with the conference alignments, etc.

Now teams are jumping conferences like crazy, the number of teams in conferences keep changing, and nobody can keep things straight.

If B1g has a 10 game schedule and then if they left things alone for a few years all the teams could play every week. no byes

wow

Latest posts