College basketball countdown: No. 32 Iowa - USAToday

That's a fair start...........I have a good feeling about this team, coming together for a
Successful campaign in 2014-5. I'll wager that this Hawkeye team finishes the season in the
Top 25.

That's a fair start...........I have a good feeling about this team, coming together for a
Successful campaign in 2014-5. I'll wager that this Hawkeye team finishes the season in the
Top 25.

They are going to do a lot better than what people think this year.

I thought it was a pretty fair assessment. They are really high on White as well.

So you guys don't think the team will take a step back after losing seniors Basabe and Marble?

I thought it was a pretty fair assessment. They are really high on White as well.

So you guys don't think the team will take a step back after losing seniors Basabe and Marble?

Marble's production will be tough to replace, no doubt.

Basabe, he did some good things but wasn't a big time producer. Maybe the team will miss him more than I realize, but between White, Woodbury and Olaseni, I'm hoping Iowa will still be OK in the paint.

Guess I'm hoping it'll be more of a team effort this year, but the question is who do we want to have the ball late in a close game?

It's not like when BJ, Roy and Eddie all graduated in 1989, so as long as the returning players improve and the newcomers can be somewhat productive, I think we'll be fine. There's still a core of pretty solid players.

Fair assessment. We know about our key returning vets, like White, but it will be guys like Jok, Gesell, Clemmons,Uthoff and Oglesby that will end up determining how good of a season we have.....need to shoot well from the arc....takes pressure off of everyone. Make open shots at a high rate, and we can be good.

They are going to do a lot better than what people think this year.

How so? Lose our best shooter, player, and NBA draft pick Dev Marble and added no recruits of impact for this season. White's a good player, especially at what he does, transition scoring. But when Iowa can't run transition game then where does the shooting come from? The Big Ten is loaded with talent and while Iowa has nice players we are not as talented. Plus I'm not sold on Fran's coaching decisions in close games late. His team implodes and his rotation patterns don't allow guys to get comfortable. I think they'll be okay this year but not good enough to make the NCAA tourney. Too many big games they haven't proven they can win. Don't see that changing as it hasn't for 3 years. That monumental late season collapse left a bad memory for a lot of people. Prove me wrong Hawks!!

Last edited:
When Basabe played well the team was at its best. That will be hard to replace. His energy was higher than anyone else imo. Marbles numbers will be missed but that will allow others such as white to take control.

[h=2]Re: USA Today: Iowa #32[/h]
16-17 wins for Iowa sounds about right to me. NIT

Same thread over at cyfan. More than one cyfan posting 15-17 wins this year. All posting Iowa ranked to high. Also posting only White could start for a top twenty five team. I can see questioning this team after the way we ended last season. If it was the clowns who ended the season the same way they would be crowing or shoul I say mooing about the valuable lesson they learned and how they would break out. Of course it doesn't matter since the only prediction threads that are valid are the ones with the clowns in the top ten.

tournament...I'm more concerned about their KenPom, BPI, Sagarian, etc
I get such a kick out of how ESPN determines if a team is good or not based on the BPI rating....which was developed by ESPN....it's like me saying the Cyclones are #5 because they rated #5 in my made up system.

This is your post on cyfan. It doesn't look like you thought it was a fair assessment over there.

Just a question for mj. Since you value Ken Pom ratings do you agree with his final basketball ratings from last year which had ISU at 21 and Iowa only 7 spots lower.

"Then, as the calender drew closer to March, the wheels fell off the wagon. Iowa lost seven of its last eight, including an NCAA tourney play-in game to Tennessee".

So it was a play in game after all!!!

How so? Lose our best shooter, player, and NBA draft pick Dev Marble and added no recruits of impact for this season. White's a good player, especially at what he does, transition scoring. But when Iowa can't run transition game then where does the shooting come from? The Big Ten is loaded with talent and while Iowa has nice players we are not as talented. Plus I'm not sold on Fran's coaching decisions in close games late. His team implodes and his rotation patterns don't allow guys to get comfortable. I think they'll be okay this year but not good enough to make the NCAA tourney. Too many big games they haven't proven they can win. Don't see that changing as it hasn't for 3 years. That monumental late season collapse left a bad memory for a lot of people. Prove me wrong Hawks!!

I think Iowa will be better than what other people think. I definitely think they will be better than what you think. Everyone has their opinion, and that's why they play the game. I doubt there is anything I could say to change your opinion, and there isn't anything you can say to change mine.

Team chemistry and effort! I hope Jok steps up, but realistically, it has to be Gesell, Woody, and Gabe. Those 3 upperclassmen will more than make up for Marble and Mel. I hope Uhl and Dickerson will be pleasant surprises, I'm thinking Uhl make a White freshman impression. So, yes, I think IA can be better than last year because of maturity and team plays.

The team could be better with someone else taking McCabe's minutes alone. Players tend to continue to progress and while we lost Marble, Marble as a Frosh and Soph wasn't half the player he was a Junior or Senior. I expect that same kind of progression from some of the upper class man on this team and if that happens, you can expect a nice season.

I get such a kick out of how ESPN determines if a team is good or not based on the BPI rating....which was developed by ESPN....it's like me saying the Cyclones are #5 because they rated #5 in my made up system.

This is your post on cyfan. It doesn't look like you thought it was a fair assessment over there.

Lol. Crickets…

There’s several of these clone posters that are so two-faced it ain’t even funny.

you'll have to read my post more carefully. I never said the first bit. My post was mocking ESPN for using their own criteria as gospel.

Just a question for mj. Since you value Ken Pom ratings do you agree with his final basketball ratings from last year which had ISU at 21 and Iowa only 7 spots lower.

I don't disagree with where Iowa was, but I do disagree with where he had ISU.

And I know you're asking this in response to thinking I brought up Ken Pom...but again I didn't. Read what I wrote again.