Coker's Numbers next year

How many yards did everyone think Hampton was going to get last year? How many wins was Iowa going to get last year? How many yards was Stanzi going to throw for? How many sacks was Clayborn going to have?

I like Coker a lotand the Mizzou game showed progress, but I'm not going to hype the kid up too much. I hope that he is extremely productive and I think he will be, but I don't want to set up to many goals for a sophomore who has started two or three games. I want to temper my enthusiasm just a bit. The whole offense needs to be good for Coker to be successful.

If Coker is healthy and if the OL remains healthy ... he'll put up REALLY nice numbers. I'd put him at being capable of getting 1350+.

Just so he's good enough to have another video made! :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9sKhZJNhHk]YouTube - Coker Pace[/ame]

What kind of numbers do you think Coker can produce next year?

My guestimate:

1,600 yards and 15 TD's

He will have a quality offensive line in front of him and he is a big bruising back that I think can handle toting the rock more than 20 times a game so I think these numbers are very realistic.

I just hope he goes for 250 + and 4 TD's vs Northwestern in an absolute clobbering of the Cats - I really hate Northwestern!!!!

You realize that would be the third best rushing season in Iowa history, right?

I will go 1200, 13 TD with another RB getting 600-700

I do realize that 1,600 yards would be the 3rd highest single season total in Hawk History behind Shonn Greene and Tavian Banks, but I think the 1,600 yard total is realistically reachable for Coker - especially if the Hawks can win the Legends division and play an extra game in the Big 10 Title Game - if that happens Coker would have 14 games (12 Regular season + Big 10 Title Game + Bowl Game) to accumulate 1,600 yards - or an average of roughly 115 yards per game - which is not that far of a stretch considering that Iowa will probably run more next year with the quality of O-line that they are returning.

I can see 1,200 - 1,400 yards being more in line with most fan's expectations, but I will stick with my original estimate and check back with you all after the completion of next year's season.

3000 yards +/- 150 yards; 30 TDs +/- 1 TD. Doak Walker and Heisman winner.

This is Marcus Coker as he plays on NCAA '12, correct?

What kind of numbers do you think Coker can produce next year?

My guestimate:

1,600 yards and 15 TD'sHe will have a quality offensive line in front of him and he is a big bruising back that I think can handle toting the rock more than 20 times a game so I think these numbers are very realistic.

I just hope he goes for 250 + and 4 TD's vs Northwestern in an absolute clobbering of the Cats - I really hate Northwestern!!!!

Really? That's realistic?

Were you one of those people who sunk into a suicidal depression whenever you got an A-?

Were you one of those people who sunk into a suicidal depression whenever you got an A-?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was one of those people. I was a 4.0 student in high school, but college classes brought me down a peg or two. I am better know, but not totally better.

Like my response to Jon, I think that most fans would probably expect somewhere in the 1,100 to 1,300 yard range for Coker, but I think he can pull off a 1,600 yard year if he stays healthy and the Hawks end up playing in the Big 10 Title game to give him an extra game to get the 1,600 yards.

I will check back with all the doubters after the season is completed to review the actual results!!

QUOTE=nickhawk;378997]Yes, I was one of those people. I was a 4.0 student in high school, but college classes brought me down a peg or two. I am better know, but not totally better.

Like my response to Jon, I think that most fans would probably expect somewhere in the 1,100 to 1,300 yard range for Coker, but I think he can pull off a 1,600 yard year if he stays healthy and the Hawks end up playing in the Big 10 Title game to give him an extra game to get the 1,600 yards.

I will check back with all the doubters after the season is completed to review the actual results!![/QUOTE]

Thats a big "IF"

Last edited:
Quick say, "Im not a homophobic bigot"

Seriously dude? I don't know if you thought you were being cool but take this bull**** someplace else.

How about you take your BS someplace else. I was here before you and will be here long after you.

Not sure on end of the year numbers, but I think he'll have 2 or 3 games where he'll go for over 200.

How about you take your BS someplace else. I was here before you and will be here long after you.

Well truly being on an internet message board for a long time is a great accomplishment to be sure but it doesn't give you free reign to be a bigot and an ***hole.

Can you link me to the part of hawkeyenation where is says being on the site for a certain period of time lets you be homophobe?

Couple more years do you get to be a racist?

Well truly being on an internet message board for a long time is a great accomplishment to be sure but it doesn't give you free reign to be a bigot and an ***hole.

Can you link me to the part of hawkeyenation where is says being on the site for a certain period of time lets you be homophobe?

Couple more years do you get to be a racist?

Please link to me where saying "no homo" means that I am a homophobe?

Shonn Greene rushed for 2228 yards in career at Iowa on 376 carries. That means he averaged 6+ a carry. He also had a TD every 17 touches. He was a monster with a great line. Coker has a very good line this year and should average between 5.1-5.8 a carry. Shonn averaged 31 carries a game and I don't think we give the rock to Coker more than 20-25 times a game. I see us playing to the championship game and then a bowl game so we would have 14 games. Because this is just speculation I will use the "what if" everyone stays healthy and we are BCS bound.

5.1 ydc 20 carries a game, 14 games, 1428 yards and 14 TD's

5.8 ydc 20 carries a game, 14 games, 1624 yards and 14 TD's

5.1 ydc 25 carries a game, 14 games, 1785 yards and 20 TD's

5.8 ydc 25 carries a game, 14 games, 2050 yards and 20 TD's

Realistically, I can see him at 1800 yards and 16 TD's

I've watched the Hawks since the 70's and know the records and all of the great players from the past. This isn't the past. If Coker stays healthy he will eclipse Shonns record this year. He will average over 5 yards per carry and maybe 6. I might throw in a couple receiving TD's as well.

Shonn Greene rushed for 2228 yards in career at Iowa on 376 carries. That means he averaged 6+ a carry. He also had a TD every 17 touches. He was a monster with a great line. Coker has a very good line this year and should average between 5.1-5.8 a carry. Shonn averaged 31 carries a game and I don't think we give the rock to Coker more than 20-25 times a game. I see us playing to the championship game and then a bowl game so we would have 14 games. Because this is just speculation I will use the "what if" everyone stays healthy and we are BCS bound.

5.1 ydc 20 carries a game, 14 games, 1428 yards and 14 TD's

5.8 ydc 20 carries a game, 14 games, 1624 yards and 14 TD's

5.1 ydc 25 carries a game, 14 games, 1785 yards and 20 TD's

5.8 ydc 25 carries a game, 14 games, 2050 yards and 20 TD's

Realistically, I can see him at 1800 yards and 16 TD's

I've watched the Hawks since the 70's and know the records and all of the great players from the past. This isn't the past. If Coker stays healthy he will eclipse Shonns record this year. He will average over 5 yards per carry and maybe 6. I might throw in a couple receiving TD's as well.

A big key is health and experience on the OL. If you look at Iowa's best rushing seasons under Ferentz ... the OL and its health figured prominently in our success. We certainly had great RBs during those seasons too. However, just as long as we have some experienced talent at RB ... the rushing yards invariably follow if the OL is any good.

The big problem is that Iowa had pretty significant problems when it came to combined health and experience on the OL for a good many years. That very fact kinda hurt the team to a definite degree from 2004 to 2007. Since 2008 Iowa's OLs have been pretty darn good ... with '08 being the best in the past few years. The '09 OL was arguably even better "on paper" ... however, the health of the unit undermined its potential. Furthermore, the extreme youth/inexperience of Iowa's RBs that year also hurt us then.

Anyhow, when you look "on paper" I have to say that Iowa's OL looks REALLY good for the 2011 season. In fact, provided the group remains healthy, I anticipate that the group could rank "up there" with the '02 and '08 units.

Thus, if the OL does its part ... then it boils down to Coker. And, as Coker demonstrated with his running against tOSU and Mizzou ... he has a tremendous upside.

Quite apart from what anybody says about past record holders ... I think that Marcus has a shot to make a HUGE splash in 2011. I'm excited .... VERY excited!

Please link to me where saying "no homo" means that I am a homophobe?
Ditto.

And since when it is it a crime to be afraid of something as phobias are that? I thought human emotion and feelings just happen naturally. I'm sure hawkinn3 has argued that many times before.

Last edited:

Latest posts