Coker

briankaldenberg

I believe even if we had all of our running backs healthy right now, including running backs who had left the team that Coker wasn't out of the running for playing time this year.

It sucks to lose Hampton, but I am excited to see what Coker can do.

I believe even if we had all of our running backs healthy right now, including running backs who had left the team that Coker wasn't out of the running for playing time this year.

I agree, when I saw him on a moped I knew he would be starting by midseason. :D

Coker needs to give us somewhere between 5 and 10 productive carries a game. This will give A-Rob a blow. I also think we use the WR runs and jail break a little more too. Maybe a jail break screen could of worked at AZ on the last drive? I know, I gotta let it go!

Coker needs to give us somewhere between 5 and 10 productive carries a game. This will give A-Rob a blow. I also think we use the WR runs and jail break a little more too. Maybe a jail break screen could of worked at AZ on the last drive? I know, I gotta let it go!

That right. We need to pray ARob stays healthy,and that Coker can run well with good ball security.
Meanwhile, KOK needs to refer back to his 2004 gameplans,and start ramping up our passing attack even more.

The nice thing is this year we have the talent at WR to be able to have a sub-par running game. The 2004 season was a blessing in disguise because that offense played into Drew Tate's run & gun abilities.

Also reminder that Coker is fresh off a broken shoulder. He missed a ton of camp. I'm not comfortable with him yet. Our other back up, is Johnson and he is coming of an ACL tear last year in high school. This scares me. Our running game is going to look a lot like it did in 2004...UGLY!

BTW, Ball State will tell us nothing.

Don't do it! ARob can get the bulk and Paki/Rodgers/Morse? can give him some rest. I so don't want to use up a redshirt.

Also reminder that Coker is fresh off a broken shoulder. He missed a ton of camp. I'm not comfortable with him yet. Our other back up, is Johnson and he is coming of an ACL tear last year in high school. This scares me. Our running game is going to look a lot like it did in 2004...UGLY!

BTW, Ball State will tell us nothing.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! People have been arguing with me since I posted a similar thread. BSU is a throwaway game....varsity against JV. You might pound on them and feel good, but you have no way of knowing just how good you are.

Don't do it! ARob can get the bulk and Paki/Rodgers/Morse? can give him some rest. I so don't want to use up a redshirt.

Are you kidding me?? Iowa football is all about winning TODAY, not worrying about tomorrow. This team is a very good football team and if Coker can come in and help us out right now and help us compete for a Big 10 championship, then you pull his redshirt in a heartbeat. Kirk stated before Coker got hurt that he would be playing some this year. That is quite a statement when you have guys like Hampton and Robinson in front of him.

Kind of makes you wish Wegher was still on the team doesn't it?

Kind of makes you wish Wegher was still on the team doesn't it?

I never wished for him to leave the team, never ever so don't put words in my mouth. There were many theories and rumors for why decided to not play football and you of all people know what my theory was.

Maybe Wegher will come back now? He'd have to beat out Coker and Johnson and Paki which I'm not so sure he beats out Coker at this point (assuming Coker is going to assume #2).

I wonder how Kirk would handle the situation if Wegher decided to come back?

I never wished for him to leave the team, never ever so don't put words in my mouth. There were many theories and rumors for why decided to not play football and you of all people know what my theory was.

Maybe Wegher will come back now? He'd have to beat out Coker and Johnson and Paki which I'm not so sure he beats out Coker at this point (assuming Coker is going to assume #2).

Never said you did, and that statement certainly doesn't imply that. Maybe in your mind.

What you did do is use his leaving as a way to (repeatedly) say "he wasn't good enough anyway, and was never going to see the field."

In short, your theory was garbage.

KF just said Coker is number two. I think the situation is perfect actually in that he has had one full week of practice, will get another week this week, get a few reps for Ball State and then a week before PSU, then a Bye. That will be a full month of practice and only one difficult game in the process.

Can't wait to see this guy run!

His decision to leave the team had nothing to do with playing time and your implication that it did is frankly sickening

KF just said Coker is number two. I think the situation is perfect actually in that he has had one full week of practice, will get another week this week, get a few reps for Ball State and then a week before PSU, then a Bye. That will be a full month of practice and only one difficult game in the process.

Can't wait to see this guy run!

Trial by fire. Hopefully the Hawks can build up a big lead and get him a lot of reps in the second half.

Iowa still needs a viable option to relieve ARob through the rest of the season. No offense to Paki ... but he's not really going to be considered a running threat by opposing Ds. Thus, having him in will simply make opposing Ds focus more on our TEs and WRs ... something that we DON'T want them to do.

Thus, our primary remaining options are to give Rogers and Coker their looks. The caveat of opting for Rogers is that he's still going to primarily be considered a short-yardage back. So that strategically could undermine us too.

Folks could certainly ask the question ... "why not DeAndre?" ... however, the answer is that 1) he's just off an ACL injury, 2) he's not terribly "big," and 3) it's not clear how far along he is with regard to blocking. I'm confident that DeAndre has the potential to develop into a fine player for us ... however, Coker might be able to provide us with more of what we need.

Consequently, given the current state of things, I think that Coker very well should get tapped. That is, unless Rogers proves that he's capable of being more than a short-yardage back.

The future of Iowa football is NOW! Iowa still can have a great year and even still win the conference. Whenever that is a possibility you go for it.

Next year we will be adding new RB recruits also.

I almost think the staff needs to think about adding another RB a class or another RB every two years. The position is really important and many times RB's can be moved to other positions such as linebacker or safety because of athleticism.

The future of Iowa football is NOW! Iowa still can have a great year and even still win the conference. Whenever that is a possibility you go for it.

Next year we will be adding new RB recruits also.

I almost think the staff needs to think about adding another RB a class or another RB every two years. The position is really important and many times RB's can be moved to other positions such as linebacker or safety because of athleticism.

You can recruit all the RB's you want, that doesn't mean that you'll get them to sign when they see a percieved logjam at RB.