Coaching philosophies

nickhawk

I think most fans would agree that overall philosophies (balanced attack on offense and overall conservative approach) will not change as long as Kirk is calling the shots but I would at least like to see some of the following changes:

Play more nickel and dime coverages and avoid having LB's matched up on WR's
Throw some blitzes when blitzes are not expected
If you have more than a minute and timeouts left before the half or at the end of a game, call some aggresive plays to try to score
Learn what clock mangagement means
If a particular facet of the offense is working - stick with it (ie: if your running back has 250 yards rushing - keep rushing the ball inside the 20 - or if your QB is kicking butt running the no huddle - keep running the no huddle

The talent on the field ultimately determines the W's and L's, but I think most fans are tired of seeing the same old conservative tactics resulting in average results.

My biggest philosophical problem with KFs strategy is the idea that the best way to win is to out execute an opponent at the expense of out scheming them.

Iowas sets are too simplistic and too risk averse especially on offense.

Go back to playing Madden and feel free to comment when you've learned something about football.

My biggest philosophical problem with KFs strategy is the idea that the best way to win is to out execute an opponent at the expense of out scheming them. Iowas sets are too simplistic and too risk averse especially on offense.

the best way to win is to out execute. even if you have a match up in your favor because of a formation or package that schemes it that way you still have to execute the play. could we do more in the areas of formations and packages so we have the best match ups, yes. but we will still have to execute.

I think most fans would agree that overall philosophies (balanced attack on offense and overall conservative approach) will not change as long as Kirk is calling the shots but I would at least like to see some of the following changes:

Play more nickel and dime coverages and avoid having LB's matched up on WR's
Throw some blitzes when blitzes are not expected
If you have more than a minute and timeouts left before the half or at the end of a game, call some aggresive plays to try to score
Learn what clock mangagement means
If a particular facet of the offense is working - stick with it (ie: if your running back has 250 yards rushing - keep rushing the ball inside the 20 - or if your QB is kicking butt running the no huddle - keep running the no huddle

The talent on the field ultimately determines the W's and L's, but I think most fans are tired of seeing the same old conservative tactics resulting in average results.

Kirk won't change. Too risky.

Best to be conservative...if that means letting teams like Minnesota hang around instead of blowing them out..so be it. If the Hawks lose..."that's just football".

I think the refusal to change is an indirect index of a treading water ploy. He's maintaining, neither building nor rebuilding. I now see what some folks mean about the lack of institutional control over the guy. He's too expensive to fire, so they tolerate the BS. They crank up the SID office and other marketing organs to continue sucking money from folks.

It could devolve into a sick farce. A lot of the wealthy alumni will go to games regardless, because their gig is partying in style and wearing fancy black clothes with lots of gold jewelry. They buy tickets just to reserve a spot if they choose to be there. They sometimes decide to attend other prestige events to celebrate their decadence.

This machine seems to have less and less to do with "the art of football" and more to do with pure revenue generation.

Sometimes I think people watch to many movies about sports.
When you look at it like the Iowa staff does, (and I tend to agree), coaching is teaching. Now I remember going over and over and over the fundamentals of mathmatics, before advancing to algebra. There is a reason why and it's because you have to be able to execute at a very high level, before you are ready to move on, or you will not do well even if you do move on. Do you remember the kids who were behind in the basic math? You most likely did not have classes with them later in HS did you?
Sometimes we get upset with play calling, and maybe even say things like "they keep running the same play over and over" well is it possible the matchup they are looking for keeps presenting itself, but is not working due to lack of execution?
Or put another way, you could watch tape with a wrestling coach and he could teach you how to see the opportunity, but if you cant execute the take down, it wont do you any good anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts