Coaching Conundrum

DJI9424

How can you possibly explain the situation where QB Nate Stanley plays at far below a Division 1 (FBS) level, game after game, but never sits out a series, yet TE Noah Fant is riding pine when he clearly has the ability to perform at an All-American level?

No need to think too hard about it, the answer is Kirk Ferentz. Stanley keeps getting the nod because he is doing everything the coaching staff is asking him to do, regardless if he is barely one-dimensional; i.e. he telegraphs where he is going to throw the ball, has little to no pocket presence, and displays an utter lack of confidence to perform when the pressure is on. For any other Division 1 head coach, Stanley is not starting QB material because he is missing too many components of what is necessary to perform in the college game. However, he is committed to learning everything the coaching staff is teaching him, even if it causes him to over-think everything on the field of play, to the overall detriment of his ability to perform. Instead of playing, he is analyzing, but unfortunately he cannot process the information fast enough at game speed, thus he becomes overwhelmed by his thinking and fails to perform.

Fant on the other hand knows he has the raw skills, just get him the ball and let him do the rest. However, if he is not willing to consider what the coaching staff is telling him, or appears to dismiss it as being irrelevant to him, he's going to be punished until he has the proper attitude. It's the classic "do it my (KF) way or hit the highway".

Is KF so stubborn that he would watch his team struggle to perform, losing more and more confidence in their ability to compete in games, only to make his point about having the proper attitude? In a word, YES. And why wouldn't he, after all he will suffer no repercussions for doing so, in fact he will be praised by a significant number of fans for teaching such lessons to these young men.

It's not that KF is experiencing anything different than every other FBS coach in America, however, the most successful coaches know how to effectively communicate with their players, seeking and employing various ways to reach and motivate individual players. In my view, KF treats everyone the same, and if you don't fit in the KF mold, you're in his doghouse and good luck ever getting a second chance until you fully conform to his standard, regardless of your talent and ability. We've seen if before, and we're seeing it again, much to my disillusionment with the KF brand of Iowa football.

Did you know that 2 tight ends can't be on the field at the same time? I didn't know that until Kirk said so. Amazing!

Read between the lines.....Kirk isn't playing fant because of his brothers tweet and he knows Fant is going pro next year and he probably knows Fant won't even play in whatever bowl game Iowa ends up in.

I tip my hat to that reporter for at least pushing the Fant subject with him. You can see the look on Kirk's face that he knows himself that he is full of BS with his pathetic answers.

How can you possibly explain the situation where QB Nate Stanley plays at far below a Division 1 (FBS) level, game after game, but never sits out a series, yet TE Noah Fant is riding pine when he clearly has the ability to perform at an All-American level?

No need to think too hard about it, the answer is Kirk Ferentz. Stanley keeps getting the nod because he is doing everything the coaching staff is asking him to do, regardless if he is barely one-dimensional; i.e. he telegraphs where he is going to throw the ball, has little to no pocket presence, and displays an utter lack of confidence to perform when the pressure is on. For any other Division 1 head coach, Stanley is not starting QB material because he is missing too many components of what is necessary to perform in the college game. However, he is committed to learning everything the coaching staff is teaching him, even if it causes him to over-think everything on the field of play, to the overall detriment of his ability to perform. Instead of playing, he is analyzing, but unfortunately he cannot process the information fast enough at game speed, thus he becomes overwhelmed by his thinking and fails to perform.

Fant on the other hand knows he has the raw skills, just get him the ball and let him do the rest. However, if he is not willing to consider what the coaching staff is telling him, or appears to dismiss it as being irrelevant to him, he's going to be punished until he has the proper attitude. It's the classic "do it my (KF) way or hit the highway".

Is KF so stubborn that he would watch his team struggle to perform, losing more and more confidence in their ability to compete in games, only to make his point about having the proper attitude? In a word, YES. And why wouldn't he, after all he will suffer no repercussions for doing so, in fact he will be praised by a significant number of fans for teaching such lessons to these young men.

It's not that KF is experiencing anything different than every other FBS coach in America, however, the most successful coaches know how to effectively communicate with their players, seeking and employing various ways to reach and motivate individual players. In my view, KF treats everyone the same, and if you don't fit in the KF mold, you're in his doghouse and good luck ever getting a second chance until you fully conform to his standard, regardless of your talent and ability. We've seen if before, and we're seeing it again, much to my disillusionment with the KF brand of Iowa football.

You honestly think he is treating Qbs and punters the same? No one else on the team that is better? That seems naive to me.

Stanley is no doubt hurt btw.

Kirk really needs to walk away after this season. The football program has been in a downward trend for several years now. This wasted season is going to wake up even more fans to the fact Kirk just doesn’t have it anymore. With a tougher schedule, next season will be even worse.

If he walks away now, he will still retain the legacy he has built for himself. The longer he hangs around, the more this will erode...possibly to the point where most of the fan base turns on him.

Unfortunately, if he walks away Barta will name Brian as HC, thus alienating the fans and driving this program into the ground.

We are so screwed.

Pretty simple answer to the question. We have an arrogant conservative jerk as the boss. It really is that simple.

Read between the lines.....Kirk isn't playing fant because of his brothers tweet and he knows Fant is going pro next year and he probably knows Fant won't even play in whatever bowl game Iowa ends up in.

I tip my hat to that reporter for at least pushing the Fant subject with him. You can see the look on Kirk's face that he knows himself that he is full of BS with his pathetic answers.

I refuse to believe that KF is that petty. There has to be more to this. There has to be more going on behind the scenes.

You honestly think he is treating Qbs and punters the same? No one else on the team that is better? That seems naive to me.

Stanley is no doubt hurt btw.

i think all the stanley stuff is overblown. but he certainly hasn't played well and as a staff they should try something different. you know, you can play more than 1 qb and still not have a controversy. i mean, if you're a coach that is really in charge you simply say "you ain't the starter, but you're going to play as a change of pace."

i've said from the off season on that we should have a RPO package with mansell in every single effing game plan. but, you know, who the hell am i? unless you're Aaron Rodgers or that jerk in NE, every staff has to have a plan b at qb, at least a package the backup can run. in college, its way easier to let the back up play cuz you don't have owners screaming at you for not player their 50 gazillion dollar baby.

Did you know that 2 tight ends can't be on the field at the same time? I didn't know that until Kirk said so. Amazing!

Lol the guy is a joke. The offense hasn't been in rhythm for over a decade, Kirk. Sure the sun shined on a dog's ass a few times over that time but gtfo with those canned bullshit answers. No one is buying what you're selling, and haven't for a long time.

Watching that video, what an arrogant ass he is. Fant is in the proverbial doghouse, period. He would rather lose than play him. Jesus we have Groenewig, or however you spell it who is a division 2 player playing receiver, and Max Cooper lol. Remember when everyone said Max was tearing it up in the spring lol. Critical situation in the game and Stanley throws to him of all people, he mistimes his jump and is on the ground when the ball gets there. Embarrassing.

I refuse to believe that KF is that petty. There has to be more to this. There has to be more going on behind the scenes.
one thing that I am confused with is I am surprised Kirk let's Noah talk to the media after the games. If Fant does leave after this season, I bet after the NFL draft we will start hearing things.

Latest posts