COACHES JUST DONT KNOW WHEN TO LEAVE

While this is a good point, if a guy wants to spend any time with his family, coaching is not a profession you want to be in. Johnson was Iowa's top recruiter and I'm guessing that means many late nights, hotel stays, away from family, extreme pressure, etc. I believe I read that family time was his reason for leaving. ESPN ranked him as one of the better recruiters in the B1G, there's little doubt he could be doing it elsewhere if he wanted.

Had he left in a lateral move, I'd say yeah, he was jumping off the sinking ship early. But he got out all together.

But it looks bad to have your recruiting coordinator jump ship to run a fast food joint. It makes you wonder how frustrating it must be recruit good players to Iowa.

But it looks bad to have your recruiting coordinator jump ship to run a fast food joint. It makes you wonder how frustrating it must be recruit good players to Iowa.

It does, but for that position that's the nature of the beast anywhere. Sucking up to 14-18 year old kids and never being home. He got burnt out

Nice thoughts, but he has NOT done a great job overall at Iowa....and we are not Ames.

I strongly disagree. Four season ending Top 8 finishes, which hadn't been done by one coach since Evy. A win in a traditional major January Bowl (Orange), which Fry never did.
Look, Hayden is the architect, but it's not as if Kirk is Ron Zook.

I strongly disagree. Four season ending Top 8 finishes, which hadn't been done by one coach since Evy. A win in a traditional major January Bowl (Orange), which Fry never did.
Look, Hayden is the architect, but it's not as if Kirk is Ron Zook.

I'm scared we'll end up with a Zook, a Chizik, a Kiffin, or a Hoke if Kirk decides to leave.

I think it was a mistake to put BF in as OL coach and move Reece over to DL coach. Phil has generally done a good job the past 2 years but I can't remember many Norm Parker D's where performance was that bad.

True, although I can't remember many Norm Parker D's this weak at LB, which is so crucial to our D scheme.

Why would he leave? He's making a ton of money, most Iowa fans still think he's a God for some reason, and he's doing a job he really likes. What's his motivation to leave? I don't think 6-6 or 7-5 seasons embarrass or discourage Kirk at all; in fact I think he considers them to be acceptable, successful seasons.

One other thing people need to keep in mind is that not only is one of his sons working on the coaching staff (and doing an exceptionally poor job with his O line this year), but his youngest Steve is on the team. Steve was switched to offensive line and will be a junior next year. Anyone be surprised if he's the starting center next year with Blythe staying at guard? Wouldn't surprise me, and I think that will be a big factor in Kirk staying. No way he leaves until his kid graduates because he probably wouldn't have a shot at any playing time under any other coach. Kirk stays at least two more years, but I honestly think he'll stay until his contract runs out. Why wouldn't he? Mediocrity has been just fine for most of the prior 16 years so why change? Plus he's got to take care of his boys.

Does Ferentz have a history of starting his sons over better players?

Latest posts