Coach McCaffery Interview w/ Pat H

Fran is such a well spoken, smart coach. I'm so glad we got this guy before one of the top programs took notice of of his abilities.

Fran's career trajectory pretty much precluded him from being a choice of the top programs. He was a good foot soldier at ND, but when Doherty got chosen over him it meant he needed to start over. Also, since he was at ND for so long, it meant he was starting over ten years older than other coaches. Basically, he was just too old to get a shot as a low mid-major conference coach to get a top coaching position. Those guys hire guys like Calipari, Roy, Self, etc.

Guys like Caff get their shot building less regarded D1 programs. The best thing is Fran's age might help keep him here when the rebuild is complete.

Is Kyle Meyer the '12 commit that Fran said he couldn't mention (why we have four schollies instead of five for next year)? Good interview and a great listen all the way through. Thanks to the OP for posting.

Is Kyle Meyer the '12 commit that Fran said he couldn't mention (why we have four schollies instead of five for next year)? Good interview and a great listen all the way through. Thanks to the OP for posting.

Yeah, has to be.

Wow. When have we had a better BB coach? Can't wait for next year and the years after that.

He will win....eventually

Sorry if this has been asked, but anyone know who the player was who made an unofficial visit (the one Fran mentions early in the interview)?

Wow. When have we had a better BB coach? Can't wait for next year and the years after that.

He will win....eventually

Really? You're that quick to forget Tom Davis who went to the tournament 9 out of 13 years? Fran has yet to post a record at Iowa better than 11-20 and while he has shown an ability to evaluate, find, and sign under-the-radar talent, he still hasn't come close to sniffing the elite type players that are required for a league championship. Let's not get too carried away because he gives a good interview.

Really? You're that quick to forget Tom Davis who went to the tournament 9 out of 13 years? Fran has yet to post a record at Iowa better than 11-20 and while he has shown an ability to evaluate, find, and sign under-the-radar talent, he still hasn't come close to sniffing the elite type players that are required for a league championship. Let's not get too carried away because he gives a good interview.

Can't compare him to Lute either. Heck, at this point you can't compare him to Alford's first two years. We believe the future is bright, but let's let promise turn into production before we go crazy. I mean, remember Lick's contract extension?

The subjective opinion that we have an excellent basketball coach or that we have the best basketball coach we've had in one's memory stands on its own without comparison to what past coaches have done. It also stands independent of citing Fran's first-year record which seems absurd- what would you expect out of any first year coach stepping into our situation?

I went to college during Lute's years and spent the Tom Davis years in the Navy but recognize what he did here. Fran McCaffery has flat-out impressed me from the day the took the job and I think we have the best Iowa basketball ahead of us that most us have seen in our lifetimes. He assembled a top-notch staff the best that I've seen at Iowa. The player development we saw over the course of last season I think speaks volumes. Fran gets it when it comes to dealing with the media and has the work ethic absolutely essential to turning around a program in this bad of shape. I have confidence in this staff's eye for talent and in their ability to create a positive enviornment that kids will want to become a part of.

You can listen to that interview and conclude that we have an intelligent, driven man at the helm or you can listen to it and see the glass as half full and view Fran McCaffery as an unfinished product.

Last edited: