CNN Reporting that NCAA will fine PSU $30 Million

Screw the fines..What is the NCAA going to do with the loot? PSU would gladly get off that lightly if that is all it is. I hope that isn't the extent. They need a 2 year hiatus from football.

I'm all for the NCAA handing out stiff athletic-based penalties on the football program, but I'm not sure what to think about fines. Seems like it may be over-broad. The NCAA is not a court of law, and as far as I know has no authority to give out fines unless the institution agrees to be fined under the rules of the NCAA. I could be wrong about this however.

If the NCAA rules don't allow this, then I could see Penn State trying to challenge this in court, or just refusing to pay thereby forcing the NCAA to try ask a court to enforce its fine. This could leave the NCAA with more egg on its face.

Perhaps the NCAA could make payment of the $30 million a condition for PSU to remain a member of the NCAA.

(1) A fine is a stupid punishment in this situation. If I'm PSU, I gladly cut that check and move on.
(2) Really, really curious about what kind of legal ramifications exist around this - i.e. does the NCAA even have authority to levy fines against their member institutions?!!??!

(1) A fine is a stupid punishment in this situation. If I'm PSU, I gladly cut that check and move on.(2) Really, really curious about what kind of legal ramifications exist around this - i.e. does the NCAA even have authority to levy fines against their member institutions?!!??!

who said the fine was the only pumishment?

I'm all for the NCAA handing out stiff athletic-based penalties on the football program, but I'm not sure what to think about fines. Seems like it may be over-broad. The NCAA is not a court of law, and as far as I know has no authority to give out fines unless the institution agrees to be fined under the rules of the NCAA. I could be wrong about this however. If the NCAA rules don't allow this, then I could see Penn State trying to challenge this in court, or just refusing to pay thereby forcing the NCAA to try ask a court to enforce its fine. This could leave the NCAA with more egg on its face. Perhaps the NCAA could make payment of the $30 million a condition for PSU to remain a member of the NCAA.

the ncaa is allowed to require whatever they want from member institutuons. if psu doesnt like it theres always the NAIA.

I wonder who they make the check out to

That was my question precisely. The NCAA trying to turn this into a money grab would be as disgusting as the original crimes.

If there is any "fine" leveraged, every cent needs to be funneled directly to child protection agencies and organizations who help with recovery from childhood sexual abuse.

Last edited:
(1) A fine is a stupid punishment in this situation. If I'm PSU, I gladly cut that check and move on.
(2) Really, really curious about what kind of legal ramifications exist around this - i.e. does the NCAA even have authority to levy fines against their member institutions?!!??!

who said the fine was the only pumishment?
Some of you really need to learn to click on the provided link and actually read the article, or at least the very first paragraph of it...

Penn State University will be hit with fines in excess of $30 million as part of "significant, unprecedented penalties" expected to be announced Monday by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, a source familiar with the case told CNN on Sunday.

Latest posts