Cmac

InGoodCo

Really proving some things early IMO this season. I don't know how to research per or advanced ratings- so someone can if they wanna, but his offensive rating has to be high. He's probably 6th or 7th in percentage of shots, doesn't turn it over and has been shooting it much better this season. I don't love when it breaks down and he's the one taking the shot with there's 5 seconds on the clock, but fact is, he seems to be more comfortable as the season progresses at doing that. I feel like he's kind of a utility guy who can guard multiple positions and does a lot of things and even tho scoring isn't one of those things, he really helps the void of losing a guy like Baer. Time will tell obviously, but I think the narrative that Connor is just on this team because of dad might need to take a shift. Maybe Fran's been more right about the make up of this team then any of us.... which is weird cause all of us are usually right.

I think a big part of his value is he understands more about what the coaches are trying to do for a game plan than others because he has been hearing it since he was a kid. His father has said that he was always a student of the game way more than Patrick.

I think he is going to be very valuable as said above in term of utility. If you watch big man try to post him up, he holds his ground very well for his size. He isn't your flashy guard, but is much stronger than a lot of guards. I like him posting smaller guards up. That is his strength in terms of scoring. His shot isn't great, but improved from last. As long as he is a threat from outside he can have a lot more value to this team.

I like CMAC and his stability, smarts, FT shooting, and willingness to take a shot if needed.

He isn't going to be a starting guard on a top-ten team or final four team with his physical limitations but if he can play a supportive role and be a team leader behind more elite guards, well, that would work well. More elite guards on team, please, Santa.

He certainly is worth a scholarship, IMHO, I enjoy his competitiveness.

I like Connor’s current role of defending 3s and 4s. He’s so much better suited there. He’s definitely a heady player which is always nice to have. Like his toughness.

The bottom line is in our current situation we definitely need him. My concern is when Jbo goes out Fran is going to insert Kriener back into the lineup and move Cmac back to a true PG position. That is bad business for our team and most notably our defense both at the 4 spot with Kriener and Cmac struggling to defend quicker guards.

I like Connor’s current role of defending 3s and 4s. He’s so much better suited there. He’s definitely a heady player which is always nice to have. Like his toughness.

The bottom line is in our current situation we definitely need him. My concern is when Jbo goes out Fran is going to insert Kriener back into the lineup and move Cmac back to a true PG position. That is bad business for our team and most notably our defense both at the 4 spot with Kriener and Cmac struggling to defend quicker guards.

maybe, but I don't really fear that - Garza needs blows, RK and CP are really the only players that can fill that role and I think it's time to maybe credit our coaches for knowing how to handle the line up. You can say injuries "forced" them to this realization... but at this point, with last season and how things turned out with injuries and this season how things have been turning out....maybe we as fans have to say "ya know what, this guy is punching the right buttons regardless of the pieces". Is he forced to do it or would he have? We'll never know but my guess is that this whole Jordan will he won't he deal has been the plan all along at least from the coaches. They prepared to be with out him from the get go. Having him has just meant that they can bring JT and BE along slowly and let them get acclimated in these early season games. It appears Fran might actually know how to coach this game despite what some of us (myself included) have been stating over the last 2 seasons. We obviously aren't in an ideal situation and I want us to be better, but Fran not recognizing how to get the most out of his line up, play the right guys and distribute the minutes the last few years isn't really a big concern for me. Jordan being out really means more BE and JT - the coaching staff has to recognize what is working and isn't, cause they seem to be exploiting it at this point.

maybe, but I don't really fear that - Garza needs blows, RK and CP are really the only players that can fill that role and I think it's time to maybe credit our coaches for knowing how to handle the line up. You can say injuries "forced" them to this realization... but at this point, with last season and how things turned out with injuries and this season how things have been turning out....maybe we as fans have to say "ya know what, this guy is punching the right buttons regardless of the pieces". Is he forced to do it or would he have? We'll never know but my guess is that this whole Jordan will he won't he deal has been the plan all along at least from the coaches. They prepared to be with out him from the get go. Having him has just meant that they can bring JT and BE along slowly and let them get acclimated in these early season games. It appears Fran might actually know how to coach this game despite what some of us (myself included) have been stating over the last 2 seasons. We obviously aren't in an ideal situation and I want us to be better, but Fran not recognizing how to get the most out of his line up, play the right guys and distribute the minutes the last few years isn't really a big concern for me. Jordan being out really means more BE and JT - the coaching staff has to recognize what is working and isn't, cause they seem to be exploiting it at this point.
Again I think the truth is probably somewhere closer to the middle. I’m not sitting here saying Fran is a some blithering idiot, but I do feel that he has mismanaged rotations before and it’s possible he will do it again. I’ve had that discussion I’ve said my piece on that. From what I’ve gathered so far I believe he will go to Kriener in the starting lineup, and I believe that would be a very bad decision.

To your point about getting Garza rest, that’s really quite irrelevant to my point. He’s playing 30 minutes right now and Kriener and Pemsl are combining for over 20, so again this comes back to my age old discussion of what to do at the 4 spot, and nothing to do with Garza. I think Iowa plays much better with the small ball lineup, and much worse with the two big lineup that puts either Kriener and Pemsl at the 4, and I think the proof is in the pudding over the last several games where we have played small ball.

When he first made that fading turning around jumper, I'm like he has no business shooting that shot. He's worked on that shot...it's money now. A 6'5" guard, who can force you down low, and spin and shoot a fader that goes in at a high percentage. Nice.

He's improved a ton, plus he's physical. Honestly, I think JBo is going to shut it down. Our guards are going to get a lot of minutes...but we are more versatile in the backcourt than I can remember.

I also like the Harry Potter scar. I'm going to call him Mr. Potter.

Bart Torvik is my new favorite actually, he has an overall rating PRPG! that tries to measure overall impact. A bit more complete than PER. Right now he's at 3.7 in that stat which if you look at the Big 10 overall is really good.

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Iowa

I think it's easier to have good efficiency if you have very low usage like Connor does. We saw that last year with Haliburton for ISU. That said, he's still performing better than I thought he would.

If you go back thru older threads, you'll see I posted that CMac has more value to the team than given credit for. I also said he has more potential than PMac has. We'll see how that turns out.

Just asking, Did you see any guard on the Minnesota team that was better than CMac?

Conner exhibits controlled aggressiveness. He has some instincts about when to foul and react to aggression by the opponent. I remember the TN OT game where Iowa made a big comeback. He got tired of being pushed around and nothing being called. He reacted and changed the entire complexion of that game. The refs were forced to start blowing whistles on TN.

Just asking, Did you see any guard on the Minnesota team that was better than CMac?

Conner exhibits controlled aggressiveness. He has some instincts about when to foul and react to aggression by the opponent. I remember the TN OT game where Iowa made a big comeback. He got tired of being pushed around and nothing being called. He reacted and changed the entire complexion of that game. The refs were forced to start blowing whistles on TN.

yes and he jaws at the officials all the time after plays while he's in bounding the ball. He must not be saying anything out of line - but I think he's telling them what's happening, like a coach on the floor. People see that as him being a "cry baby" but I like to think that's just his old man in him working the refs. I love that he's aggressive and competitive and never thinks he's wrong....that's what you want in a player. His cool confidence is a plus for the team. He is what he is, but I think Connor is good for Iowa basketball.

I think it was Bohannon who reacted in the Tennessee game.

David Eickholt said that Iowa was +32 last night when Connor was on the court...best on the team. Connor's a glue guy. I really like him. If he can get his 3 point percentage up a big higher it would be gravy.

If he had a jumper, he would be a left handed Jeff Horner.

Like or dis-like Conner it really doesn't matter. He is the starter until next year. Get behind him and support. I really feel Conner and Joe T are gonna be logging a lot of time together. Both bring something to the table and it will take both of them to make up for the loss of JBo. Conner will do whatever it takes to win and Joe T is a star in the making. The better these guys do the more excited I am for Iowa basketball next year, maybe even this year.

I stuck up for Connor a lot last year and I’m happy to see he’s improved/improving...not so I can be right but because it’s good for CM and the team.

IMO This team has a very high basketball IQ...which I love. If you can’t jump the highest or shoot the best so be it. But playing dumb drives me crazy. Guys are going to make mistakes. But making the same mistake over and over and over...

I think playing smart has served us well. I think it is also one reason why this season is going to be more successful than many expected. I should add we obviously have a few guys that can play the game at a high level.

Latest posts