CMac to Butler

Zstatman

And, here, I thought CMac had it made, working for the Pacers, getting great experience, probably gets a coaching spot at some point, what a future.

And, here he goes moving to the collegiate ranks at Butler. I guess we shouldn't really be surprised. Bro Patrick is playing his last year there this year. Younger bro, Jack, will be a freshman next year. He must have decided college, not the NBA, is where he wants to be.

Matta mentions he knows the McCaffrey family well. Fran was probably doing his 10 years stint as an assistant at Notre Dame when Matta was doing his first go around at Butler. Makes sense they would know each other.

I also found it interesting that CMac is replacing Greg Oden. Remember him? He along with Mike Conley were one and done at Ohio St when Matta was the coach there. Conley has had a great career. Oden, however, was the overall #1 pick in the draft in 2007 by the Portland Trailblazers (I had to look it up) so got great first overall pick money. Then he never did a thing in the NBA, he couldn't stay healthy, didn't have the body to withstand the rigors. He sat on the bench a few years then was gone, just like many before and after him. I'd guess Matta took a chance on him, his former players, and gave him a coaching spot but he probably couldn't coach either and now he's going to live off his first-round money. I hope he's been smart with it.

CMac at least seems to want stay in the Indianapolis area.

I hear he might have a serious girlfriend he met while at Iowa and she just graduated and got a job in Indy too.

You can't help but wonder if all the McCaffrey's won't be in Indy within a few years. What year in high school is the McCaffrey daughter? Fran could be winding up his Iowa career in the next few years. So, why not? I've personally never thought about living there but it does have a lot going for it.

There there's CC, will she make the Fever here team for her entire W career? Maybe. Citizens of the state of Indiana love their basketball and I'm sure right at this point they would hate the thought of her leaving. I don't know the W well enough to know how long those rookie contracts last. But I'm she could go just about anywhere when she becomes a free agent.

You can't help but wonder if all the McCaffrey's won't be in Indy within a few years. What year in high school is the McCaffrey daughter? Fran could be winding up his Iowa career in the next few years. So, why not? I've personally never thought about living there but it does have a lot going for it.

There there's CC, will she make the Fever here team for her entire W career? Maybe. Citizens of the state of Indiana love their basketball and I'm sure right at this point they would hate the thought of her leaving. I don't know the W well enough to know how long those rookie contracts last. But I'm she could go just about anywhere when she becomes a free agent.

The possibility exists that Caitlin will remain with the Fever when it is time for a new contract

She and Connor really seem to have a solid relationship and if he stays with the Pacers or at
Butler, they could be the Queen and King of Indianapolis

What an interesting thought. Conner could be groomed to be the next head coach at Butler while Caitlin plays her entire WNBA career at Indiana. Then after Caitlin retires, Conner can be offered the head coaching job at Iowa.

I think working for Thad M will pay big dividends for CMac. College coaching is a great spot for Connor with his ability to connect to his peers. Say what you will, Matta is one of the best coaches in the country. And he is people/player oriented so his mentorship of Connor is a great fit. Yahoo! Could not happen to a better young man! In fact, the McCaffrey family is a good place to be. Bonus: Patrick and his younger brother at Butler!

What an interesting thought. Conner could be groomed to be the next head coach at Butler while Caitlin plays her entire WNBA career at Indiana. Then after Caitlin retires, Conner can be offered the head coaching job at Iowa.
Just in time to raise their kids in Iowa.

The road to becoming a coach is going to be a whole lot faster and more fruitful going up through the college ranks vs spending time at a middling NBA team as a glorified intern.

Just in time to raise their kids in Iowa.
I don't think the McCafferys hate Iowa, but I don't think it's where anyone in that family plans to settle. Margaret especially isn't attached to the state, and Connor, Patrick, and even Jack have taken a LOT of crappy treatment from supposed fans. Fran is immune to the noise now, but being an east coaster Catholic and with the Notre Dame ties he and Marge have, I'll bet anyone here my paid off house the day he retires there's going to be a semi full of their belongings crossing the Mississippi and never coming back.

And why not? They certainly owe nothing to the state of Iowa. Fran has been a stand-up guy in a tough spot for a lot of years now. I know I'm not thick-skinned enough to stay in a job where people are constantly blasting my kids and wife on social media with personal attacks. He's also a rare bird that you never have to worry about ethically and that's worth a whole bunch. I'll take a guy I know is never going to cheat the rules, or end up crashing a motorcycle with a 22 year old mistress on the back like Petrino, or get drunk with students like Eustachy any day of the week over guys like them, even if the Hawks are losing.

I don't think the McCafferys hate Iowa, but I don't think it's where anyone in that family plans to settle. Margaret especially isn't attached to the state, and Connor, Patrick, and even Jack have taken a LOT of crappy treatment from supposed fans. Fran is immune to the noise now, but being an east coaster Catholic and with the Notre Dame ties he and Marge have, I'll bet anyone here my house that the day he retires there's going to be a semi full of their belongings crossing the Mississippi and never coming back.

And why not? They certainly owe nothing to the state of Iowa. Fran has been a stand-up guy in a tough spot for a lot of years now. I know I'm not thick-skinned enough to stay in a job where people are constantly blasting my kids and wife on social media with personal attacks. He's also a rare bird that you never have to worry about ethically and that's worth a whole bunch. I'll take a guy I know is never going to cheat the rules, or end up crashing a motorcycle with a 22 year old mistress on the back like Petrino, or get drunk with students like Eustachy any day of the week over guys like them, even if the Hawks are losing.
Yup

This discussion makes me think of Dean Oliver, who I mentioned in the Shabazz thread, is the new coach at Iowa United Prep in Des Moines. He has been an assistant at Illinois ST, North Dakota, and now Wisconsin for 9 years. I'd bet he's applied for head coaching jobs while at Wisconsin and not getting the traction he wanted. I don't blame him for taking a seeming step down going to the HS ranks but if he does really well, recruits the top athletes, maybe something will open up for him. He has paid his dues. And his name has been thrown out there as a Fran replacement although most would say no chance. Now, he also has a son being recruited by Iowa football, his wife is probably from Iowa, so basically, he's coming home.

How much time does Fran really have left at Iowa? By my count he's 65 so, if he wants, he could have another good 5 years, maybe less if family ties pull him to Indiana. Payton Sandfort has said he thought Fran was gone to leave after last year but here he is. Will he want to coach Shabazz, who just committed heading into his junior year of high school?

My guess is Matt Gatens will be a leading candidate whenever Fran leaves. He's paid his dues, coached at Drake and Iowa, seems to be in on recruiting some top players. He bleeds black and gold. And, he's guaranteed nothing.

And, while CMac does seem to have good coaching DNA, I don't know that he'll be seasoned enough candidate when Fran steps down. By my count, Thhad Matta is 57. As some have suggested, CMac might be a fit to replace him at Butler.

This discussion makes me think of Dean Oliver, who I mentioned in the Shabazz thread, is the new coach at Iowa United Prep in Des Moines. He has been an assistant at Illinois ST, North Dakota, and now Wisconsin for 9 years. I'd bet he's applied for head coaching jobs while at Wisconsin and not getting the traction he wanted. I don't blame him for taking a seeming step down going to the HS ranks but if he does really well, recruits the top athletes, maybe something will open up for him.
Elite AAU programs generate a truckload of money. I don't have proof of this, but my educated guess is he isn't doing this as a step down. He's likely been brought in as part ownership and is lined up to make some serious bank. If you saw the amount of cash these parents lay out to put their kids in these leagues you'd poop yourself. They don't just pay for a roster spot, they pay thousands for getting hooked up with showcase leagues, private coaching from the staff, the list goes on and on. Add to that sponsorships, and it doesn't take long to be rolling in it. There's a reason most of these kids come from private schools or Waukee, Ankeny, Johnston, etc. These are some seriously rich kids from the 'burbs in most cases.

In today's world AAU isn't just an opportunity to play higher level basketball, the elite teams are an intermediate making money from parents, scouts, showcase leagues, agents, and big time sponsors by starting all those connections. If Ted and Jeanette have a bunch of disposable income and Coach says little Johnny has a shot at D1, they'll write blank checks essentially. Where AAU programs have the racket is that it's a necessary evil to get noticed by D1 programs. If you don't get on the circuit in high school and get your film out there in major events, it ain't happening. Baseball is the same way with Perfect Game and PBR, volleyball for girls is same thing as AAU basketball. Oliver is gettin PAID.

I don't think the McCafferys hate Iowa, but I don't think it's where anyone in that family plans to settle. Margaret especially isn't attached to the state, and Connor, Patrick, and even Jack have taken a LOT of crappy treatment from supposed fans. Fran is immune to the noise now, but being an east coaster Catholic and with the Notre Dame ties he and Marge have, I'll bet anyone here my paid off house the day he retires there's going to be a semi full of their belongings crossing the Mississippi and never coming back.

I completely agree with you on the McCaffery's. But guys tend to go where the girl wants them to and Clark is all Iowa. That doesn't mean she still will be when she retires tho.

If Thad Matta’s health goes sideways in the next two or three years, are we sure a McCaffery isn’t the next head coach? Conner or Fran? IMO, Conner has the potential to be a Rock Star as a head coach, on the Brad Stevens level.

Margaret has wanted out for a long time and she has given a bunch of subtle clues. If ND had offered the job to Fran, the McCaffery family couldn’t have got packed up fast enough to leave.

Margaret has wanted out for a long time and she has given a bunch of subtle clues. If ND had offered the job to Fran, the McCaffery family couldn’t have got packed up fast enough to leave.

Fran has never had the resume to get hired by Notre Dame.

If memory serves, Fran was 29 when he was hired as head coach at Lehigh. I remember reading something about his age working against him in recruiting and that was a reason he stepped away from being a head coach and became an assistant at ND. I would be he has counseled CMac on that.

One thing I don't think anyone on this thread has mentioned is the pay. I believe an assistant at Butler would make more than a very low assistant (one step above intern, I believe someone said) at the Pacers. According to what I could find, Connor made less than Caitlin as an assistant at the Pacers - somewhere in the $55K range. As an assistant at Butler he will likely make in the neighborhood of $100k.

Went to indy for two games vs. the Aces. CC is an absolute sensation there. About every third person had her jersey on. Both Fever and Iowa. Many more Iowa jerseys than I expected. They love her and for good reason. I think her team is figuring out what they have too. She will make them a ton of money. Will Conner ever make as much $ as CC? Not in my book but who cares? I wish them the best. Butler is a nice school. CC will probably win the 500 after she retires from BB.

Latest posts