Clowny Campbell...his goal was never to win the Big 12

I absolutely admire Mr. Davis. But, one of the things he said was along these same lines....there was a call in show with him and Jim Zabel I believe. One of the callers asked when we should expect a Big Ten Title in Basketball. I believe Mr. Davis said we should not expect one or something along those lines.

After that happened, I believe they shut down the call in portion of that show. Just was not a good look.

I think what Campbell said here was worse than this. This was suppose to be his best team and he basically just told his fan base that the best version of them is not good enough to win a Big 12 Title and that is not his number one goal anyway. Even if this was coach speak, it is still a terrible look. Big 12 coaches (and non-conference coaches) should use this speech against him in recruiting.

Winning is not everything and you do want to develop people of great character. But, you also play the game to win and do the best you can....which a Big 12 title would be along those lines for them. Just a terrible answer from Campbell to this reporter....in what I assume is a poor attempt to deflect blame publicly for them not reaching their goals this year.

He should have admitted they did not reach that specific goal and it is somewhat of a setback there (it hurts and it should) and they need to continue to improve and that starts with the next game. They still have things to play for and there was certainly good things that have happened in this season and we want to continue to look for success with our remaining games in the regular season and post season. Something along those lines.

Last edited:
Ummm.... If I'm on a pre-season top 10 team, damn straight a conference championship is a goal. Heck... top 10 team, a national championship is a goal. I remember Dabo Sweeny being interviewed about "Clemsoning" when Clemson was still trying to get over the hump and he went ballistic on the reporter. Sweeny listed all the top ten wins they had, all the blue bloods they had beat. It clearly ate him up that they had lost big games on big stages or lost games they shouldn't have. I just think Matt Campbell has done more to destroy his brand this fall than any other 4 month span of his life.

Campbell has done a very good job at Iowa State no question. Was a dumb thing to say regarding goal of winning championships. I'm sure that was his goal as well as beating Iowa but when it doesn't happen (and every Clone fan thought it would) I think the question may have angered him a bit and he pulled an answer from someplace lower than his brain!

I wonder how McCaffrey would respond to the question?

not to be contrarian. I like Campbell and have a lot of respect for him and the program he's built. I think every coach is trying get the team to the best version of themselves. I think he just didn't realize how those comments would land in the public eye. a lesson for him.

I wonder how McCaffrey would respond to the question?
The way I see it, basketball conference championships are only more than 10% as important as in football when you're playing in a little conference where 90% of the time the only team invited to the NCAA tournament is the automatic bid from winning the conference tournament.

I am not even sure that most middling basketball teams in major conferences make that big a deal out of the chance at a conference championship until the tail end of the season. It just isn't anywhere near as important as in football, and with the regular season just affecting seeding, it's even less relevant.

The way I see it, basketball conference championships are only more than 10% as important as in football when you're playing in a little conference where 90% of the time the only team invited to the NCAA tournament is the automatic bid from winning the conference tournament.

I am not even sure that most middling basketball teams in major conferences make that big a deal out of the chance at a conference championship until the tail end of the season. It just isn't anywhere near as important as in football, and with the regular season just affecting seeding, it's even less relevant.
Would agree with you. Clearly the Tournament is the key in basketball. Probably a more comparable question for a basketball coach would be a run in the tournament?

Latest posts