CLOWN questions

loesshillshawk

Haven't had much time this year to see or hear any information about the clowns. Wondering if you guys that keep up with the clowns could fill me in on strengths and weaknesses both offensively and defensively, thanks guys.

Haven't had much time this year to see or hear any information about the clowns. Wondering if you guys that keep up with the clowns could fill me in on strengths and weaknesses both offensively and defensively, thanks guys.

From what I have heard is their D line is supposed to be pretty decent but their O line is still in question with Julian Good-Jones as their best in that area. They have David Montgomery who is a good RB and some claim a top 5 back in the country. Receiver wise the Lizard is gone but they still have Hakeem Butler who is a good receiver but Kyle Kempt supposedly has a pretty average to decent arm so idk there. Last of what I heard is they have some good tight ends and claim they could be some of the better TEs in the B12.

I dont know much else.

From what I have heard is their D line is supposed to be pretty decent but their O line is still in question with Julian Good-Jones as their best in that area. They have David Montgomery who is a good RB and some claim a top 5 back in the country. Receiver wise the Lizard is gone but they still have Hakeem Butler who is a good receiver but Kyle Kempt supposedly has a pretty average to decent arm so idk there. Last of what I heard is they have some good tight ends and claim they could be some of the better TEs in the B12.

I dont know much else.
Montgomery isn't a top five back, more like 10-15. Still good, but if we shut him down the clowns are done, and I think with plenty of prep time the Hawks won't have much of a problem preparing for him. If we were talking about our offense going up a stout defense I might be a bit concerned about another slow start. But our stout defense against a decent Iowa State offense? I'll take that.

Last edited:
Montgomery isn't a top five back, more like 10-15. Still good, but if we shut him down the clowns are done, and I think with plenty of prep time the Hawks won't have much of a problem preparing for him.

Could be right I'm just going off of what that guy Chris Williams said on 1460 but then again hes quite the homer!

16 starters back from last year, 10 on offense, from a team that won 6 of 9 with their QB. 3 losses were by a combined 12 points.

I wouldn't sleep on Montgomery. He is a pretty good back who we had trouble tackling last year. Our linebackers are going to have to have good disciple wrap him up. If he goes off, that will not be a good thing. I think we will see a steady diet of him unless we can shut him down. And they will work the play action off of the run game.

What I am most interested to see is if ISU D can hold up at the point of attack vs Iowa. They basically play a 3-3-5, it ins't a 3/4 like Wisconsin. I'm sure ISU will bring pressure and attack the LOS as Iowa is gonna run heavy sets all day long vs ISU. Iowa only ran 3 WR sets vs N. Ill 7 times. As Leistikow wrote, "Brian Ferentz put at least two running backs (one being a fullback) and two tight ends on the field together for 33 of Iowa’s 37 second-half snaps." It really wore down N. Ill and we will see if ISU can hold up vs a similar attack on Saturday.

It will be really interesting to see how ISU can adapt to this. They really took off last year when they decided to play an umbrella style defense and keep everything in front of them. I don't know if that can work vs Iowa, but we will see.

Montgomery isn't a top five back, more like 10-15. Still good, but if we shut him down the clowns are done, and I think with plenty of prep time the Hawks won't have much of a problem preparing for him. If we were talking about our offense going up a stout defense I might be a bit concerned about another slow start. But our stout defense against a decent Iowa State offense? I'll take that.

Don't forget Hakeem Butler. They have the WR talent to house you if you slip up, and the QB who can and will take advantage of any space you give him. The D must play better than Saturday to stop ISU.

The clowns stink. A slightly below average year at Iowa is the equivalent to one of the greatest seasons in their history. Iowa has won 3 in a row, with the average margin of victory being 19 points. Iowa is clearly the dominant program, the clowns have no chance to keep this one close. The last time they came to Iowa city they got crushed!

Iowa just has to play to their strengths and not turn the ball over. I think Iowa State has some talented players on offense especially Montgomery and Special K but if we can keep them off the field and keep them from gaining any rhythm we should be in good shape. If we can't get off the field on third down and turn it over it could be a long day. I think our D-line rotation can keep our guys fresh and help neutralize some of the run game

The clowns stink. A slightly below average year at Iowa is the equivalent to one of the greatest seasons in their history. Iowa has won 3 in a row, with the average margin of victory being 19 points. Iowa is clearly the dominant program, the clowns have no chance to keep this one close. The last time they came to Iowa city they got crushed!
They had us beat last year and gave it away. Then they went to Norman and beat #3 ranked Oklahoma. I’d say they would compete with the majority of teams in the West this year, some of which Iowa will lose to. They will not be an easy out even if Stanley and the receivers get it going. I suspect 40 points wins it and we aren’t always up for a shootout. I do like that they didn’t have the first game though that should help us.

Don't forget Hakeem Butler. They have the WR talent to house you if you slip up, and the QB who can and will take advantage of any space you give him. The D must play better than Saturday to stop ISU.
I was going to like but I’m not liking a post about Hakeem Butler, so just know that you are correct.

ISU is going to come out attacking on offense...you can bet on that. They will do the one thing Kirk doesn't, try to seize the momentum...making things happen instead of waiting for things to happen If they're successful it could be a disappointing afternoon.

Iowa State returned 6 players on defense. Their defensive backs will largely be experienced, returning 3 of the 4. Joel Lanning, their best linebacker is gone. Their nose tackle returns for the defensive line. The defensive line will be young or JUCO's.

So on defense overall it looks like their pass defense could be good, but they need some playmakers on the line. They will be going against a offensive line that has two very good tackles, albeit in their first game. If they give Iowa time, Iowa's stout tight end tandem will burn them. And Iowa has some very good running backs.

On offense they returned their QB, center and tackle. For receivers, Lizzard is gone. Augmenting Butler is another tall receiver and a good tight end. Montgomery is a decent back with breakaway potential.

Iowa State's offense is going against a stout Iowa defensive line. This could be a tough assignment for a line that hasn't played a game, especially if they give Iowa time to substitute.

Personally I think ISU struggles coming off the postponement. I look for Iowa to punch them in the mouth early and often!!

One thing I heard over the weekend, without any game film this is a little bit of an advantage for ISU. The Hawks are preparing from last years film.

Well it is easy to see that in Clownville they don't understand what it means to be suspended for a GAME, absolute CLOWNS over there running the place.

Kempt is solid but not spectacular. Nevertheless, if he gets comfortable in the pocket, he's more than capable of picking us apart.

Their WRs - as usual - are physically more gifted than what we put on the field season after season. I don't know how it does it, but that program always seems to find WRs. I'm expecting Campbell to employ some double moves to attack the zone scheme, so our DBs are going to have to be disciplined and aware.

Montgomery is the key. He is an underrated stud and will be a challenge. Not the biggest RB, but he's got a solid overall skill set, and an almost uncanny ability to break tackles and get the extra two yards. We will have to try to avoid letting them isolate him on Hockaday. That's a complete mismatch. He also can pass as a former QB - another trick play to watch out for.

Defensively, they are okay, but it's not the strength of the team. We are going to need our FBs to be solid at the point of attack, but, if they are, ISU is susceptible against the run.

Latest posts