Close games hurting nonstarters PT!

hawkytalk

I sure hope we can get a comfortable lead in one of our remaining three home games to get some nonstarters some playing time. We especially need some game experience on the defensive side,where we seldom substitute. Whats everyones thoughts?

My thought, and I guarantee Kirk's thought, is it's all about winning right now. And when you look at it, most of the people that project as starters next year have seen some playing time this season...linebackers in 3-4, DB's in nickel situations, REiff and Gettis have both started and played a lot...WR's have gotten their noses wet.

Iowa really don't lost a lot next year in sheer number of bodies.

I wouldn't mind seeing Keenan Davis have the ball thrown his way some more. I'm sure we will see some more of him this week with Sandeman out (I'm speculating on that injury). He looks like an explosive kid and that would be great to get all the coverage off Moeaki and DJK.

Right now this is not an issue to worry about. Its a luxury to play your backups, but usually not a reality at this time in the season. Its all about playing the players that give you the best chance to win right now.

Getting the other guys some PT is gravy..

My thought, and I guarantee Kirk's thought, is it's all about winning right now. And when you look at it, most of the people that project as starters next year have seen some playing time this season...linebackers in 3-4, DB's in nickel situations, REiff and Gettis have both started and played a lot...WR's have gotten their noses wet.

Tarpinian, Nielsen have played a lot this year at LB. Mike Daniels has had some PT at defensive tackle. Lowe and Castillo have played a lot of snaps at corner. Cato has played a lot in goal line. Keenan Davis has played a lot of snaps at WR even if he hasn't caught a lot of passes. He will be in position to contribute a lot next year. Reiff is now a starter, Koeppel has played a fair share of snaps at Iowa State and in goal-line situations.
If Rogers is needed in the final 4 games, absolutely his redshirt should come off. You are playing for a Big 10 title and possible national championship implications. He can go ahead and redshirt next year if Hampton comes back healthy and ARob/Wegher/Brinson are all ready to go. If the coaches determine Rogers can give them more than Paki in the running game if ARob is out, they owe it to everyone to get him out there.

+1

We are in the midst of something historic. The players understand this.

Just win, baby. Just win... :)