Clone hate is brutal

After rewatching the game, I don't know how the Clones could blame anyone other than Campbell. It's a 4 point game at half with ISU getting the ball. Holly interviews Campbell and asks, hey you all had success going up tempo, you want to attack more and Campbell tells her yes. That leads to 3 TOs in the 3rd quarter and Campbell quitting on his team in the 4th. Purdy always has happy feet when there is pressure. Why on earth would you want him to push forward against that D?

Cytwins is saying Pollard wanted to drop the series a few years ago but Barta wouldn’t let him.

Yeah, I doubt that. I get that ISU has been able to sell more season tickets, but at the end of the day, there is nothing better for a program like ISU to have games against a team like Nebraska and a team like Iowa where you can drive season ticket packages and have one game with super premium prices. Once ISU starts playing in that new and improved Big 12 and has games against BYU and UCF replacing OU and UT, they aren't going to want to lose Iowa.

I'll be the first to admit that with the Big Ten reshuffling the Iowa home calendar in odd numbered years is an absolute travesty and a slap in the face to the fans. Even numbered years, where we have ISU, Wisconsin and Nebraska every time are pretty awesome, but the odd years, blech. It's not even worth getting tickets those years. Compare it to pre-reorg where we were pretty much guaranteed to have OSU or Michigan at home, that was way better. You need those premier programs to come in and you need compelling rivalry games.

Cytwins is saying Pollard wanted to drop the series a few years ago but Barta wouldn’t let him.

If you seriously believe this then I've got ocean front property to sell you in New Mexico.

Pollard uses that game to sell Hawkeye fans tickets to games they won't sell out. He may not have done it this year since their tickets are a hot item right now but they've been known to do this when they struggle selling tickets. Mark my word Pollard wants this game more than anyone.

I'll be the first to admit that with the Big Ten reshuffling the Iowa home calendar in odd numbered years is an absolute travesty and a slap in the face to the fans. Even numbered years, where we have ISU, Wisconsin and Nebraska every time are pretty awesome, but the odd years, blech. It's not even worth getting tickets those years. Compare it to pre-reorg where we were pretty much guaranteed to have OSU or Michigan at home, that was way better. You need those premier programs to come in and you need compelling rivalry games.

You are exactly right on this, this year the only home games worth a shit was the very first game against Indiana and Penn State. I don't think the Indiana game was even a sell out, Penn State already is. All the good rivalry games are on the road (ISU, Nebby, and Wisconsin). All the other games there are still a ton of tickets available.

I'm keeping an eye on the ticket prices for that Penn State game on Stubhub, last time I checked the cheapest ticket was $160. If both teams go into that game undefeated I might sell mine to fund the bowl trip. Even the parking passes are going for outrageous coin.

Iowa State's OL held on almost every play, due to the speed of our DL and LBs. Just watch the replay. Very few were called.

I will never complain about holding. I was told as a young kid that if refs wanted to throw the flag for holding they probably could on every play. It happens. Again, the difference in the game is ISU throwing bad balls and Hall having piss poor ball security on the 5 yard line. There's nothing to argue about with the game.

Yeah, I doubt that. I get that ISU has been able to sell more season tickets, but at the end of the day, there is nothing better for a program like ISU to have games against a team like Nebraska and a team like Iowa where you can drive season ticket packages and have one game with super premium prices. Once ISU starts playing in that new and improved Big 12 and has games against BYU and UCF replacing OU and UT, they aren't going to want to lose Iowa.

You and I disagree here. ISU had Iowa on the schedule for decades and didn't sell any tickets.

It isn't having Iowa on the schedule that drove ticket sales the last few years. It's having a good team.

You and I disagree here. ISU had Iowa on the schedule for decades and didn't sell any tickets.

It isn't having Iowa on the schedule that drove ticket sales the last few years. It's having a good team.

You're kidding us, right? You mean to tell me ISU never bundled the Iowa game with a bunch of others in order to sell more tickets? That never happened?

Yes, I get that. And ISU has apparently done a good job with marketing and getting their large local alumni base interested in games. It is still an affordable family activity.

But here's the problem. ISU isn't always good. Neither is Iowa. And when you're not good or when the fans get tired of 7-5 and want more, you better have some decent anchor opponents that might bring fans and will generate interest in your own fanbase. I bowed out of Iowa tickets before I moved to the South in no small part due to how absolutely shitty the home schedule got in odd years.

I had Northwestern season tickets for 7 years. That is a program that is fairly similar to ISU, with the key difference being their fan base is way smaller because their alumni base is miniscule. They'd get interest some years, but a lot of the time the big drivers of support were Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio State.

When the hype dies, and it will, Iowa State is markedly better off with Nebraska and Iowa on the schedule in alternating years because you can sell single game tickets for those games for damn near as much as you will be able to get out of season tickets. They also had a bunch of years where you had to buy a shit bundle or even season tickets just to access those premier tickets unless you lucked into getting part of the visitor allotment (which was marked waaaaay up).

Point is, the supposed statement of "ISU's AD wants to leave the series" is either a fabrication or the guy is utterly, pardon my French, retarded. I'm an Iowa fan and I will readily concede that having ISU as a home game on the even numbered years is fantastic for Iowa because it is definitely value added for the ticket package. Regional rival games are absolutely great for college football. Big names coming to town is also great. For Iowa State's AD to supposedly not want a regional rivalry game is simply moronic. Particularly if he has that opinion (and I'm not saying he does) in light of losing the two blue bloods off the schedule.

If you seriously believe this then I've got ocean front property to sell you in New Mexico.

Pollard uses that game to sell Hawkeye fans tickets to games they won't sell out. He may not have done it this year since their tickets are a hot item right now but they've been known to do this when they struggle selling tickets. Mark my word Pollard wants this game more than anyone.
Of course I don’t believe it and nowhere did I say I did. I posted that as an example of what a delusional fool cytwins is.

If you ever want a good laugh, you should visit cyclone fanatic some time and read the drivel he posts.

knowing Barta's ability to f things up...that's almost believable
I’ve heard on more than one podcast from former players that everyone top to bottom in the Iowa program hates that game and wishes it’d go away. Kirk and Farta of course have to play nice in the media and say how great it is for the state.

I'm an Iowa fan and I will readily concede that having ISU as a home game on the even numbered years is fantastic for Iowa because it is definitely value added for the ticket package.
I will right now allocate my two 2022 ISU tickets to anyone who wants to buy them. I don’t go to that game. Eventually we’ll lose and I’m not gonna listen to all those Ronald McDonald fans in my home stadium.

I will right now allocate my two 2022 ISU tickets to anyone who wants to buy them. I don’t go to that game. Eventually we’ll lose and I’m not gonna listen to all those Ronald McDonald fans in my home stadium.
Will trade you for this bridge I "own" in Dubuque County............it might actually be an "even" trade! :)

Truth be told, I would give them to my mother-in-law and brother-in-law. They live for this game. One wears Hawk colors, the other Clone colors.

If the game is on, its a weekend I choose not to visit...............

Will trade you for this bridge I "own" in Dubuque County............it might actually be an "even" trade! :)

Truth be told, I would give them to my mother-in-law and brother-in-law. They live for this game. One wears Hawk colors, the other Clone colors.

If the game is on, its a weekend I choose not to visit...............
The friend I buy tickets with also hates the game and also doesn't go. So we actually have 4 together. Another one of our friends is a huge ISU fan so I'm assuming that's where they'll end up. Although, if ISU goes like 9-3 and gets unduly hyped up again next year, I might sell them for a big profit so some mouth breathing state fan can watch their team get beat 34-6 in Kinnick.

Northwestern is my achilles heal. Ugh. I went to the game against them in 2015 and will never ever ever go to another Iowa-NU game. That run of losses between 2008 and 2010 fucking scarred me, man. I keep a pretty even head after games and the only time I've ever wanted to punch someone over a football game was a few hours after that 2009 Northwestern game. Stanzi had just gone down. Me and my buddy were driving back to Chicago and we stopped at the DeKalb Oasis on I-88. We were in line with about 20 Hawk fans at the McDonalds to get some grub. These two jackass Northwestern fans walk in and one yells "Look at all the sorry ass Iowa fans in line to get job applications after their team got its ass kicked!" It was a good insult off the cuff by the guy, but that one was like a dagger because of Stanzi going down.

I have to say, as a Mainstream Hawk Fan(tm), I really enjoyed that game. Its a source of mild amusement for me to see the game has triggered something of a crisis of confidence among a segment of the ISU fanbase, but i've mostly moved on at this point.

That said, to that segment of the ISU fan base that is panicking a bit: I think you're overreacting. By, like, a lot. I'd post this on CryFan but it would basically be a speed run banning exercise.

UNI is one of the top FCS programs in the country and, frankly, plays ISU the way ISU usually plays Iowa.

On the Iowa side, every appearance to this point indicates this will likely be a top 10ish defense in all of FBS. Honestly, it's probably a safe bet we're better than the best defense you'll see in the Big XII all year.

ISU is likely a really good team. You have good players and, IMO, an excellent coach. But the black & gold D showed up on Saturday, fucked your shit up, and you guys melted down a bit. As Iowa fans, we've seen that movie many times. It never gets old, but it's not exactly novel, either.

The safest assumption is Campbell has already gotten the team refocused on their remaining season goals and ISU will go on to have a respectable season.

You're kidding us, right? You mean to tell me ISU never bundled the Iowa game with a bunch of others in order to sell more tickets? That never happened?

Correct, 15 years ago. I think we can all agree the program is in a different place. It's not impossible that it ends up back there but I doubt it.

Point is, the supposed statement of "ISU's AD wants to leave the series" is either a fabrication or the guy is utterly, pardon my French, retarded. I'm an Iowa fan and I will readily concede that having ISU as a home game on the even numbered years is fantastic for Iowa because it is definitely value added for the ticket package. Regional rival games are absolutely great for college football. Big names coming to town is also great. For Iowa State's AD to supposedly not want a regional rivalry game is simply moronic. Particularly if he has that opinion (and I'm not saying he does) in light of losing the two blue bloods off the schedule.

Anything Twins says regarding the rivalry like that should be utterly disregarded.

I guess I've just seen ISU/Iowa my whole life. I've never seen the fans this excited, and that includes last year when we didn't play. Winning is what drives ticket sales and fan engagement IMO.

Anything Twins says regarding the rivalry like that should be utterly disregarded.

I guess I've just seen ISU/Iowa my whole life. I've never seen the fans this excited, and that includes last year when we didn't play. Winning is what drives ticket sales and fan engagement IMO.

Yes, of course winning is key. But for perpetually moribund programs like Iowa State the length of time they will have to be a "winning program" to build an actually sticky fan base and not a bunch of johnny come lately bandwagon riders is probably two decades. Maybe more. Ask the Hawk fans on here. My granddad was a Hawk fan. Rode the train from Durty Dodge to Iowa City to see games. My dad was a Hawk fan. We listened to Zabel on the radio back in the day when the games weren't on TV. I'm a Hawk fan.* A substantial portion of the state is that way and the '80's really fortified Iowa's position there. Made it a family event.

ISU ain't got that. You hit an ISU game in the '80's or '90's and it was like a morgue unless it was Iowa or 'Braska. The moribund programs all have that problem. Iowa State, Northwestern, Kentucky, Purdue, Illinois, Kansas, etc. There's nothing sustaining them. They're totally different from mediocre programs like Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina or even Iowa where they can weather a down period and they have a rabid regional fan base. And even solid programs will take a hit when things take a downturn. Michigan was giving away tickets with the purchase of a two liter of coke not long ago.

And that is precisely why you can't rely on saying "oh if we win the fans will come." Half the teams suck ass and ISU will again at some point, possibly soon. Even when Michigan sucked and gave away tickets, they still had games driving big energy. Sparty and OSU. You simply have to have those games. That is what sustains college football. I'm not saying Sparty fans want to suck, but if they do they would take substantial joy in going 1-11 and having the 1 win coming against Michigan in a game that knocked UM out of the playoffs. They'd relish in it for 10 years. I'm still pissed off about the 2002 ISU game. 19 years after the fact. That's what makes college football awesome.

*My kid is an Illinois fan because that is where he was born and he's loyal, but he's only 5 and I think I can talk him out of it someday.

ISU has averaged at least 52k in ticket sales since 2011, and that includes some pretty lean years (2013-2016 no season over 3 wins). I think it's at least a little sticky at this point.

The years where ISU beat Iowa and then sucked the rest of the year are meaningless. I know it happened under Chizik especially but honestly I don't care if the season sucks. It's a long season.