Cleveland writer's crack at Big Ten divisions

I love playing Penn State, we got a nice little rivalry going on with them, let's keep it going.

If we go to nine conference games, then we could still play Penn State 2/3 of the time even if they were in the opposite division. That's only a sliver less frequent than the current schedule pattern we have with them. And they don't really consider Iowa a rival in the same sense as UM and OSU.

If we go to nine conference games, then we could still play Penn State 2/3 of the time even if they were in the opposite division. That's only a sliver less frequent than the current schedule pattern we have with them. And they don't really consider Iowa a rival in the same sense as UM and OSU.

They should, especially with Iowa owning them over the last 10 years. But that's neither here nor there.

you people who think it needs to be east vs west need to take your hawkeye glasses off. yes nebby/psu/iowa/wisky is tuff, but i guarantee michigan/osu/psu people don't see it that way. Also we need to consider if it's east and west and say nd and mizz joins. You seriously going to have 4 of the top 10 programs and god knows how many national championships in one division???

They should, especially with Iowa owning them over the last 10 years. But that's neither here nor there.

I hear ya. And I do think most PSU folks respect Iowa. But respect and rivalry are different things, as you know. Like Minnesota is our rival, but we don't respect them. (i.e., stealing their goalposts, not letting them score any points, and having sex in their bathrooms) :D

I really like this idea with the list of protected rivalries below. The only real draw back would be the possibility of a three way or four way tie for first in which we would have to use tie breakers to find the two top teams for the B10 championship game. I think it would keep a more cohesive B10 as compared to having divisions.

Iowa – Minnesota, Nebraska
Michigan – Ohio St, Michigan St
Ohio State – Michigan, Penn State
Nebraska- Iowa, Penn State
Penn State – Nebraska, Ohio State
Wisconsin- Minnesota, Illinois
Illinois - Northwestern, Wisconsin
Minnesota- Iowa, Wisconsin
Purdue – Indiana, Michigan State
Indiana – Purdue, Northwestern
Northwestern – Illinois, Indiana
Michigan State – Michigan, Purdue

If I understand correctly, divisions are needed for Championship games.

Without divisions, the season will end with the rivalry games:

UM vs OSU
PSU vs Neb
IA vs Ws
Ill vs NW
IN vs P
etc.

you people who think it needs to be east vs west need to take your hawkeye glasses off. yes nebby/psu/iowa/wisky is tuff, but i guarantee michigan/osu/psu people don't see it that way. Also we need to consider if it's east and west and say nd and mizz joins. You seriously going to have 4 of the top 10 programs and god knows how many national championships in one division???

If/when ND and Mizzou join, then this entire discussion is moot. Just because we have one division alignment for 12 teams doesn't mean we won't completely reconfigure for 14 or 16. In fact we'd probably have to. If ND and Mizzou join, then I'd like to see Kansas and an eastern rival for PSU (Cuse? Rutgers? Pitt?) to make 16 teams.

Then you're talking pods versus divisions. Possibly conference semifinals and a national playoff. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes. Volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria!

Competitive Fairness to me just means no obvious, glaring discrepancy. Not comparison of additive winning percentages over the last 65/45/25 years, whatever. So, moving on to the rivalries ... it's true that they aren't all equal. I guess we should rank them:

Untouchable ...
1) Michigan-Ohio State (No Trophy)
2) Minnesota-Wisconsin (Slab of Bacon/Paul Bunyan's Axe)

Important ...
3) Iowa-Minnesota (Floyd of Rosedale)
4) Michigan-Michigan State (Paul Bunyan Trophy)
5) Illinois-Northwestern (Sweet Sioux Tomahawk/Land of Lincoln Trophy)
6) Indiana-Purdue (Old Oaken Bucket)
7) Michigan-Minnesota (Little Brown Jug)
8) Illinois-Ohio State (Illibuck)
9) Iowa-Wisconsin (Heartland Trophy)

Disposable ...
Indiana-Michigan State (Old Brass Spittoon)
Illinois-Purdue (Purdue Cannon)
Minnesota-Penn State (Governor's Victory Bell)
Michigan State-Penn State (Land Grant Trophy)

disagreements?

Good post, bws. I agree with your untouchables and disposables. I would move Iowa/Wisconsin above the Little Brown Jug and the Illibuck. Both of these "rivalries" are little more than historical curiosities to the schools involved -- especially UM and OSU who have dominated Minny and Illy for decades. Neither rivalry is protected under the current system, whereas Iowa/Wisky is.

In fact, come to think of it, I'd move UM/UM and OSU/ILL to the disposable category. I'm just thinking, it's not like the disposable rivalries will never be played. With a 9-game schedule, all pairings could be played at least 2/3 of the time in a 12-team conference and at least 1/2 the time in a 16-team conference.

I'd move PSU vs. MSU into important, although it is relatively new, its older than Iowa/Wisc and PSU needs a rivalry game.

Things that make sense to me:

1. There will be a conference champions game = $$$$. This means there must be divisions.

2. For the immediate future there will be only 8 conference games. 2011 schedules have OOC game/dates already contracted. More conference games may be added in the future but not for at least several years.

3. Geographic divisions make sense. They seem to create competitive fairness naturally, not via subjective rankings.

4. Geographic divisions maintain all important rivalries.

5. Geographic divisions make travel less expensive. SCHOOLS have $$$ to offset this and planes go fast so miles are not a big deal. However, for FANS, travel distances are very important.

who do we forward this thread to, so Delany can see we've figured it out?

of course if he can talk ND into joining, this is all moot

We won't get a real idea of what the divisions will be until we see something from Chip Brown on Twitter. He is apparently the only one who gets any "credible" information...................or not

Latest posts