Clemson speed...

SWIHawk

Clemson possesses the same speed that GA Teach will bring at Iowa, and possibly more so. The amount of speed all the "experts" are saying is what Iowa CAN'T handle. Count me as officially NOT worried.

If GA Tech's speed is what they need to tip the scales in their favor, I like the Hawks chances.

I am a big time homer, but Iowa is possibly the best bet on the sheet. For entertainment purposes only, of course.

Georgia Tech has too much speed...Just like Florida in 2004 Outback, LSU in 2005 Cap One, and South Carolina in 2009 Outback...Why does everyone just assume a team from the South will have more speed than Iowa?

Georgia Tech has too much speed...Just like Florida in 2004 Outback, LSU in 2005 Cap One, and South Carolina in 2009 Outback...Why does everyone just assume a team from the South will have more speed than Iowa?

Perhaps because:

a) 'they' really don't know jack-squat

b) simple narrow-minded ignorance of the real college football world around 'them';

and/or

c) Dumb arrogance

Pretty much sums it up. :D

Honestly I am hearing a lot more about the style of offense with Ga Tech giving us fits than their speed being a problem. That to me is probably fair although I'm not too worrried about that either.

I have not heard any talk about Iowa not being fast enough to keep up with GA Tech. Not saying it is not out there, but I have not heard it. I am beginning to think that this is just another thing on which thinned skinned Iowa fans like to obsess. Hawkeye fans would find something to complain about even if the team was voted a unanimous national champion. Probably feel like the Hawks were not given enough credit when compared to past national champions.

Didn't Clemson have the number one recruiting class in 2008, and signed little Bowden to a 7-year extension in that offseason? The coach had promised some 5-star running back that he would get the first carry in the game against Alabama, then the kid fumbled or something.

Bowden was fired something like 5 games later.

I tried to watch that game last nite but the speed was just too much to handle, it's impossible to see the players numbers on their jerseys.

My kids are young enough they still believe in Santa, but even they know SEC speed is a myth.

My kids are young enough they still believe in Santa, but even they know SEC speed is a myth.

Never mind Santa...do your kids believe that rich rodriguez is going to return Meatchicken to relevance?
Do they believe Micheatagain will ever again beat Ohio State??
:rolleyes:

Perhaps because:

a) 'they' really don't know jack-squat

b) simple narrow-minded ignorance of the real college football world around 'them';

and/or

c) Dumb arrogance

Pretty much sums it up. :D

Well, if ever there were an expert on not knowing jack-squat, simple narrow-minded ignorance and dumb arrogance...

From what I've heard from GT fans themselves...they don't have overwhelming offensive speed. Their skill position players certainly aren't slow but they're built for power more than speed...their WR weighs in at 230 lbs. The only part of their offense that is supposedly fast in comparison with other teams is their offensive line because it's a little bit undersized and built to move around a lot.

Their defense...I haven't heard much about...but according to the GT fans the defense is not very good at all.

I can remember almost word for word from Craig James during the Arizona game, "I cannot believe how big and fast this Iowa team is. There is NFL talent all over the field."

The good thing is that the big and fast Iowa players are not getting paid like Craid did in his day.

I was watching the Holiday Bowl from 1986 against San Diego State yesterday on the BTN, and they were commenting on how SDSU would have too much speed for Iowa to contain. I guess the theory's been around for quite awhile, and if the media hears it long enough and often enough, it becomes truth in their minds. I guess it's a lot easier than actually watching games for themselves to form their own opinions!

I swear, you cannot watch an espn preview show without one of the guys gushing over the speed of a certain team (any SEC team and some other elite programs). In their minds, speed always beats power and physical play. We'll find out on Jan 5th.