Clemmons

HawkeyeFever

Anybody else notice the drive/layup that Clemmons did midway through the second half yesterday?

He was driving from the right side of the lane and left his feet. An Illinois defender was posted up and Anthony turned his body in mid air to avoid the charge, then readjusted when he was past the screen and laid it in.

Nothing was really said about it at the time by the announcers, but I thought it was one of the most athletic moves all night and wanted to give the kid props.

Keep it up, AC...good to see you playing so well lately.

Anybody else notice the drive/layup that Clemmons did midway through the second half yesterday?

He was driving from the right side of the lane and left his feet. An Illinois defender was posted up and Anthony turned his body in mid air to avoid the charge, then readjusted when he was past the screen and laid it in.

Nothing was really said about it at the time by the announcers, but I thought it was one of the most athletic moves all night and wanted to give the kid props.

Keep it up, AC...good to see you playing so well lately.

Good post. Noticed that, too, and thought it was a great play. He also seems to be playing with much more confidence. Like what I'm seeing.

I think he is finally playing the role that most of us hoped/envisioned he would. He doesn't need to be a bigtime scorer. Play good D, don't make a ton of mistakes, be selective on offense and provide a spark when needed. He's doing all of these right now and it's a big part of our recent success. Kudos to the kid.

I checked this morning and both Clemmons and Gesell have have an assist to TO ratio of exactly 2 to 1.

Gesell = 102/51

Clemmons = 55/27

Not sure if Clemmons will ever take over the starting PG role, but he doesn't have to - He's become a very solid backup/second PG. It's good to see him playing like an upper-classman.

Not sure if Clemmons will ever take over the starting PG role, but he doesn't have to - He's become a very solid backup/second PG. It's good to see him playing like an upper-classman.

I agree. He and Gesell don't have to score a lot. Take what the defense gives...when it comes to scoring. But don't turn the ball over and get the ball to the right guys in the right places. Play hard on defense. That's all we need.

I'm mildly amused anytime another team tries to put a full court press on us. Gesell, Clemmons, Jok, White, Oglesby, Uhl and Uthoff can all get the ball up over half court. This is another place where our length is an advantage...3 guys that are 6'8" and can help against the press.

That play was sweet in slow motion you could see just how much body control he had. He's more athletic then given credit for. The last couple/3 weeks (those two bad loses not withstanding) He's been a huge part of the team doing well. This team has really came together more so then last yr. Sure White had a monster game this week. But usually it's been really balanced and everyone playing their roles to a T. When players know and accept their roles it's when teams can do damage in March and I think this team has that and will be playing their best ball down the stretch because of it.

Good think he asked Fran for more playing time after Northwestern. He has always had the heart to win.

Great play and I really like how he is playing and helping the team.

But if it was the most athletic play, you didn't watch Rice very closely. Holy Schnikes. Don't care one whit about Illinois or Rice, but the guy is athletic.

I saw in a newspaper article that Sap asked for some additional playing time a couple of games ago and Fran agreed, with the caveat that Sap had to play better defense. He sure as H did! When this guy turns it up on defense, all I can think of is Matt Gatens. No, Sap can't score like Matt, but he is unbelievable to watch when he plays defense on the fast BT guards and never gives them an inch. The only time he gets in trouble is when he over helps other guys.

Also, I have been watching Adam W's foot speed and position this year and he is an absolute freak for a 7 ft. defender. Not a great shot blocker, or dramatic offensive presence, but I would guess some NBA teams would look at him as one to create problems for the inside game with his defense.

Sappy has really stepped up and especially, last night, when Peter Jok essentially gave-up on
the game, Sapp came in played TOUGH defense, had some Excellent assists and scored from field
and at FT line.

Keep it Up, Sappy (AC)

We saw a lot of players do things last night that we haven't seen in awhile or often enough. It goes to show us that Fran recruited the right players but they haven't all developed enough or consistently perform like they should. I think if we were on a roll where everything is clicking most teams wouldn't want to face us. Of course, every other team could probably say the same thing. We need to do it at the right time.

I've said it before, but it's worth saying again...

I wish more kids could see and understand what Sapp has done. He struggled last year...bad...and I don't think anyone would have even blinked if he had said he was leaving. I know some were hoping. Instead, he came out and said he took some things for granted and didn't work/prepare as hard as he had the year before. Said he was going to stay, do the work and show Fran's faith in him wasn't misplaced.

Well done Sapp!

AC is one of the really great story for the Hawkeyes. A lot of players would have given up and transferred after last year. He just worked and got better. He is a very mature, strong leader now. I think the sky is the limit for him.

Well done Sir!

Latest posts