Clayborn's Return Equals Best DL in Nation?

I was 5 years old at the time. Can't say I remember this team as I was mainly watching cartoons at that age. How bout stats comparison?

I had the privelage of watching the '81 team tank the Rose Bowl.

Now, some notes on that defense:

AndreTippett earned AA honors. He was also a two-time All-Big Ten selection (1980 and 1981).

The 1981 defense allowed only 129 points, the lowest total since 1965 and 9th best in school history. The squad allowed only 86.9 rushing yards a game, which still stands (last time I checked, anyway) as the school record. The 1981 Iowa defense allowed 253 total yards a game.

I was 5 years old at the time. Can't say I remember this team as I was mainly watching cartoons at that age. How bout stats comparison?

IOWA/Opponent

PPG 23.6/11.7
RUSH: 195/86.9
TOTAL YDS/GM: 325/253
TURNOVERS: 24/36
Iowa averaged over 45 yards per punt

The points per game is the stat I always look at because its the most important stat a defense can have...keep em off the board and you fare well. I think this year's Iowa PPG (Iowa's offense) was close to the 1981 team...that 1981 team had a few injuries on offense, and it also had a two headed rushing attack, plus Gordy Bohannon was out for a time and Pete Gale came in and spelled him...I think Bohannon didn't crack 1000 yards passing on the year...Iowa averaged just 129 a game that season. That defense was crazy good. It's the standard for Iowa defenses, IMO...at least statistically. Last year's Iowa defense was the best statistical defense since 1981, but I still think the 2003 defense was the best of the Ferentz era. This year's defense, front to back, was the most balanced

The 1981 defense allowed only 129 points, the lowest total since 1965 and 9th best in school history. The squad allowed only 86.9 rushing yards a game, which still stands (last time I checked, anyway) as the school record. The 1981 Iowa defense allowed 253 total yards a game.

It is still a school record...and again, we are talking about back in the day where teams were run oriented.

Clearly though, the coaches must develop some quality depth here. Let's get some rotations with the 2 deeps, to keep everyone fresh - and dominating!

It is still a school record...and again, we are talking about back in the day where teams were run oriented.

Jon, you have to also look at that from the other stand point. Most teams were run oriented which means the defense was more likely to focus on stopping the run, no? While impressive, I'm equally impressed by a front four that is capable of stopping not only the run but dictating the passing game as well.

Stats are out the window on this one. Big ten offenses didn't pass anywhere near they do now. It was run run run, punt...run pass, run, punt.....run run run, punt,....run, run, TD.. RUn, RUn, RUn, RUn, RUn, etc.

Yeah Miller...............I did have an Email from Everhawk.

He is still wondering why you picked Iowa State this year, when IOWA was clearly the dominant football team? Wasn't that game something like 35-3?

Best Iowa D-Lines:

2003: Hodges, Clauss, Roth, Babs
2002: Cole, Babs, Clauss Hodges
2001: Pickens, Montgomery, Kampmann, Cole

Spievey and Bulaga are gone, after this season.

You can make book on it, I predict.

Bryan is a top 15 draft pick, according to Mel Kiper. And I think Amari may have already made up his mind

I would like to see DT Daniels get in more often, he has looked good when he's played, although his PT has been very limited ... Ballard is only going to get better since he just converted to DT this year ... an awesome DL is just what you need when breaking in a couple new LBs

Latest posts