Clayborn: The team "lost its will" to win

DesMoinesHawki

Per Jon Miller ... via Rob Howe ... I guess that pretty much sums up what showed on the field the past four weeks. Somewhere along the way the coaches lost this team because these are the same players who hammered a good Michigan State team. But, this falls on the players as well ... There is a lot of talent in the Iowa program. We did have some key losses at linebacker ... But, I think Clayborn's comment supersedes everything.

Per Jon Miller ... via Rob Howe ... I guess that pretty much sums up what showed on the field the past four weeks. Somewhere along the way the coaches lost this team because these are the same players who hammered a good Michigan State team. But, this falls on the players as well ... There is a lot of talent in the Iowa program. We did have some key losses at linebacker ... But, I think Clayborn's comment supersedes everything.

Is he wrong. Leadership was lacking this year.

I think this team lacked leadership!! It is very difficult to lose leaders such as Eads, Angerer, Spivey on defense to the NFL and say that they should have a great defense and didn't lose much. They were leaders!! They were missed and maybe the D line was only as good as the poeple behind them. I think Clayborn went from a top round pick to a middle round pick in a year!! Sad but true. Iowa's D line looked very average this year.

After watching film and seeing lack of effort the last 4 games the coaches needed to bench Clayborn and any other player not putting 100% effort . If they can bench guys for twitter and facebook why not sit the guys who mail it in?

I say bench em for crappy bowl game. Not many wil be watching and even fewer will be in attendance. I refuse to get invested in a bunch of quitters that **** away their chance to play for Iowa.

I agree. Watch the tape. Take an attitude check and bench anyone not working hard or trying to win the game. If Clayborn is talking about himself, then sit him down, and let the underclassmen get some experience.

I am with AC. I watched the game and didn't get upset at all. Usually I am nervous as hell and standing watching the whole time.

I really didn't care if they won or lost and I think the players are the same. Sad.

Apathy has set in

That was a strange feeling. I am normally pacing back and forth and my heart beating like a rabbit but for this game, I simply watched it as a passive fan. I didn't yell once at the tv and normally I am screaming my head off ... Crazy!

I said before the season started that I was worried about leadership with this team. Stanzi was getting all kinds of credit about being this great leader. But he was more of 'lead by example' kind of guy. Sure Iowa needs those kinds of leaders too. But Iowa needs the vocal and aggressive leaders who can bust some skulls inside the locker room. They had it in King and Angerer. It was sorely missing this season.

Latest posts