Clayborn (#1 DE in Country); Mcnutt/DJK (#1 WR tandem in B10)?

BQuastU

Trying not to be too much of a homer, but seems to me that Clayborn might be the country's #1 DE coming back next year and MM/DJK must be the best WR group coming back in the B10. What are the arguments against this?

The WR thing is just way off, and an obvious homer pick. They are good, but not elite. We do not yet know which DEs are coming back, but Clayborn will probably be regarded as a top 5 DE. If he plays the way he played in the OB, he could work his way up to #1.

The WR thing is just way off, and an obvious homer pick. They are good, but not elite. We do not yet know which DEs are coming back, but Clayborn will probably be regarded as a top 5 DE. If he plays the way he played in the OB, he could work his way up to #1.

Way off for the B10 rankings?

"The WR thing is just way off, and an obvious homer pick."

What tandem in the Big 10 will be better in your opinion?

That's idiotic.
You don't think they are the best?
If MMc and DJK aren't the best WR tandem in the Big Ten then who are?

Iowa has hands-down the best WR core in the Big Ten and if you add Sandeman, Reisner and Keenan, it's not a question.

You're way off. They have to be at least close to the top tandem in the Big Ten. I would have to assume you just read wrong.

That's idiotic.
You don't think they are the best?
If MMc and DJK aren't the best WR tandem in the Big Ten then who are?

Iowa has hands-down the best WR core in the Big Ten and if you add Sandeman, Reisner and Keenan, it's not a question.
And Paul Chaney.

You're way off. They have to be at least close to the top tandem in the Big Ten. I would have to assume you just read wrong.

You would assume correctly. Second boner I have pulled today. I did not differentiate between the (in the country) and (int the B10), assuming the OP meant best Wr tandem in the country.

Homer%20D%27OH.gif

Last edited:
Just looked at Mel Kiper's lists. He has Clayborn as #4 out of 5 on the list of junior DE's and the other 4 are all going pro.

Last edited:
And FWIW, Spievey is #4 as well with 2 above him going and 1 still undecided. Could have the #1 CB and #1 DE on Kiper's big board next year.

Name a Duo in the big ten thats better than McNutt/DJK....
Ready...... Go.

What was the first?

I told Jon that I thought the only reason he said Iowa was a top 10 team in the past 8 years was that he chose the 8 year span instead of a more logical 5 or 10 year span, because we would look better over an 8 year span.

Jon then pointed out that he mentioned that he was using an 8 year span to make us look good in the first paragraph.

DERRRRRP!

Hard to argue about Clayborn, although he may not get the sack numbers that other DEs will put up.

As far as WR tandems go:

last year Iowa's duo did the following
(catches/ yds/ TDs)
DJK- 45-750-2
MMcN 34-674-8

Per my 'research that would put them at 4th or 5th as far as returning production

Indiana (both sophs, #3 and #5 receivers in conference last year)
Doss 77-962-5
Belcher 61-770-5

tOSU
Posey 60-828-8
Sanzenbacher 36-570-6

PSU (question as to who will be QB next year of course)
Moye 48-785-6
Zug 46-600-7

Wisky (this one is arguable, pretty comparable to Iowa's duo)
Toon 54-805-4
Anderson 30-480-2

I like Iowa's duo plenty, but have to acknowledge what others have accomplished as well.
And of course, Iowa's balanced attack isn't geared toward getting stats for the WRs.

Hard to argue about Clayborn, although he may not get the sack numbers that other DEs will put up.

As far as WR tandems go:

last year Iowa's duo did the following
(catches/ yds/ TDs)
DJK- 45-750-2
MMcN 34-674-8

Per my 'research that would put them at 4th or 5th as far as returning production

Indiana (both sophs, #3 and #5 receivers in conference last year)
Doss 77-962-5
Belcher 61-770-5

tOSU
Posey 60-828-8
Sanzenbacher 36-570-6

PSU (question as to who will be QB next year of course)
Moye 48-785-6
Zug 46-600-7

Wisky (this one is arguable, pretty comparable to Iowa's duo)
Toon 54-805-4
Anderson 30-480-2

I like Iowa's duo plenty, but have to acknowledge what others have accomplished as well.
And of course, Iowa's balanced attack isn't geared toward getting stats for the WRs.

But do your stats show PT, these two were hardly ever on the field at the same time. One could even argue the Orange bowl, but if you remember DJK went out in the 1st half with an injury, and then GA tech really started putting the coverage down on MCnutt. It may sound crazy, but i think the talks of Mcnutt leaving early just might start next year the way that it surfaced around Clayborn and Spievey.

Latest posts