Classic Iowa BB Games

Kansas at fogg Allen in Dr toms last year. great comeback
This was a great game because the clones fans had to watch Iowa win on KU's home floor where they could never win and a slap to Bowlsby.

But really some of you younger fans if you could see some highlights or games where ronnie lester would just take over a game. The first 10 minutes of the national semifinal where lester had about 14 points to match the Drs of Dunk, then lester hurt his knee.

And if you could ever watch any game replay of the 1970 squad that lost to Jacksonville. I would suggest watching the two games against Purdue that year when Rick Mount went for about 60 points in each game. And in the second game at Purdue the hawks undefeated big 10 season hung in the balance as they made the most amazing comeback ever.

They were 8 or 9 points down with a minute to go in the pre-shot clock no 3 point basket era and put on the press to win by 1 point. Awesome team, last undefeated big 10 iowa team.

In no particular order:

Iowa's 87-82 victory in 1965 over eventual national champion UCLA at Chicago Stadium.

Iowa's two conference victories over eventual NCAA champ Indiana in 1981.

Iowa's two games against Purdue & Rick Mount in 1970.

Iowa's overtime victory against then No. 2 ranked Minnesota in Iowa City in 1973.

All the '80 tournament games before the Final Four.

The '56 NCAA championship game.

The last game of the season in '79 when Iowa mauled Northwestern to clinch a share of the Big Ten title.

Any game with Sam Williams, the last Iowa player to win the Silver Basketball.

And when it comes down to it, any game in the old place. God, the Field House was unbelievable.

In no particular order:

Iowa's 87-82 victory in 1965 over eventual national champion UCLA at Chicago Stadium.

Iowa's two conference victories over eventual NCAA champ Indiana in 1981.

Iowa's two games against Purdue & Rick Mount in 1970.

Iowa's overtime victory against then No. 2 ranked Minnesota in Iowa City in 1973.

All the '80 tournament games before the Final Four.

The '56 NCAA championship game.

The last game of the season in '79 when Iowa mauled Northwestern to clinch a share of the Big Ten title.

Any game with Sam Williams, the last Iowa player to win the Silver Basketball.

And when it comes down to it, any game in the old place. God, the Field House was unbelievable.

ColumbusHawk must be old like me. I stayed up until about 1 AM to listed to that 1964 game against UCLA. Jim Zabel called a great game and George Peeples and others played a great game.

And wow was Sam Williams silky smooth. Great player at 6' 3". Too bad he was only on TV maybe 4 times in 1968.

ColumbusHawk must be old like me. I stayed up until about 1 AM to listed to that 1964 game against UCLA. Jim Zabel called a great game and George Peeples and others played a great game.

And wow was Sam Williams silky smooth. Great player at 6' 3". Too bad he was only on TV maybe 4 times in 1968.

I'm so old, I actually remember Iowa's last three Big Ten titles & a Final Four appearance. I'm fortuante, I saw all four teams play many times in person. I am very grateful to my father.

I will take nothing away from that 79-80 team as beating Georgetown was one of Iowa's finest moments but Mr. Davis accomplished quite a bit after Lute left. While he did not get Iowa to the Final 4 he had Iowa in the tournament every year and never lost a first round game. I can barely remember Iowa reaching the Final Four, which happened once. You act like it happened every year under Lute. That 86-87 Tom Davis team would run circles around any team that Lute ever coached you and I both know it. Bobby Hansen and Ronnie Lester were awesome players but the 86-87 team had 8 NBA players on it.

This was a great game because the clones fans had to watch Iowa win on KU's home floor where they could never win and a slap to Bowlsby.

But really some of you younger fans if you could see some highlights or games where ronnie lester would just take over a game. The first 10 minutes of the national semifinal where lester had about 14 points to match the Drs of Dunk, then lester hurt his knee.

And if you could ever watch any game replay of the 1970 squad that lost to Jacksonville. I would suggest watching the two games against Purdue that year when Rick Mount went for about 60 points in each game. And in the second game at Purdue the hawks undefeated big 10 season hung in the balance as they made the most amazing comeback ever.

They were 8 or 9 points down with a minute to go in the pre-shot clock no 3 point basket era and put on the press to win by 1 point. Awesome team, last undefeated big 10 iowa team.

I was just a wee little kid, but my dad took me to the airport to see the team come home that night from Purdue. I'll never forget how uspet he was when that team lost to Jacksonville. Best Iowa BB team of all time, great era for college BB, but I was just a few years too young to remember much of it clearly! But I DO remember going to the airport that night to welcome the team home from W Lafayette.

Last edited:
My top 5:
5- 97 ncaa tourney vs kentucky. we lost that game but woolridge played out of his mind and almost singlehandedly won that gama against a team that made it to the title game.
4- 98 @ kansas. mccausland hit some huge shots. we also snapped the longest current (at that time) home winning streak in the country.
3- 99 ncaa 2nd round vs arkansas. 40 minutes of hell turned into 40 minutes heaven. still can remember dean o behind the back pass to settles for the game clinching slam.
2- 96 ncaa 1st round vs george washington. incredible comeback. remember gw beat #1 umass earlier that year. gw was probably one of the best #11 seeds ever.
1- 91? @indiana. down by 15 in second half i remember my dad stopped watching. i kept watching as we chipped away until james moses tipped in acie earls miss.
hm- 88 @ unc. marble makes 2 fts to clinch it after kent hill was fouled.
93 vs michigan. 1st game at home after street died.
95 vs msu. woolridge hits on the baseline with no time left. first time i can remember that the court was stormed.
02 vs iu at btt. recker does it again.

I will take nothing away from that 79-80 team as beating Georgetown was one of Iowa's finest moments but Mr. Davis accomplished quite a bit after Lute left. While he did not get Iowa to the Final 4 he had Iowa in the tournament every year and never lost a first round game. I can barely remember Iowa reaching the Final Four, which happened once. You act like it happened every year under Lute. That 86-87 Tom Davis team would run circles around any team that Lute ever coached you and I both know it. Bobby Hansen and Ronnie Lester were awesome players but the 86-87 team had 8 NBA players on it.

You can't defend a a coach that won 14, 12, 10 & 4 conference games, respectively, in his first four seasons. As the headline in the Gazette said last week: "The best team in the last 25 years was 25 years ago."

Tom Davis accomplished nothing at Iowa. After his first year he never challenged for the Big Ten title. Tom Davis was the first coach in Big Ten history to win 20 games & have a winning record in conference play & not go to the tournament.

You stated the obvious problem with Davis. The '87 team had 8 NBA players on it. All of them Raveling recruits. How many Davis recruits played in the NBA? Basically, Davis did nothing more than the football team did the last two years.

Alot of good games mentioned here, but a few others that I don't recall seeing:

1991 W @Indiana - James Moses Tip In at the Buzzer in OT

1996 W vs. Purdue (who was a #1 seed that year) on national TV the last game of the year

1994 vs MSU - Woolridge baseline jumper to win it

Yesterday, on KCRG 9.2, they had the Iowa-Indiana game from January 31, 1985 - Iowa wins 72-59. I only saw a few minutes, but here were some of the memories:

- Iowa players --> Greg Stokes (Sr), Michael Payne (Sr), Andre Banks (Jr), Jeff Moe (Fr), Bill Jones (Fr), Al Lorenzon (Jr), Gerry Wright, and Kenny Fullard.

- Indiana players --> Steve Alford (So), Dan Dakich (Sr), Uwe Blab (Sr), Stew Robinson (Jr), Todd Meier (So)

Here's a link to the Daily Iowan for the next day. The story on the game is on page 9.

http://dailyiowan.lib.uiowa.edu/DI/1985/di1985-02-01.pdf