Classic Game: Iowa @UNC 1989

I was too young to remember much of this team (I was 8). I sort of remember BJ Armstrong. Looking at that team, it looks like they won @UNC and then the wheels sorta fell off the season right after that. Lost @MN and @Ohio State and ended up 10-8 in the Big Ten.

What exactly happened? That team seems completely stacked at every position

Side Note: one of my earliest Iowa sports memories was my dad constantly cussing out Troy Skinner. My dad hated him for some reason.

Awesome. I taped a whole bunch of Unsolved Mysteries episodes over this game when I was 10, thought my brother and my Dad were gonna kill me. I'll have to send them this and ask for forgiveness

thanks for posting that vid, 77Hawkeye. Was a real fun game to re-watch on a blizzardy night in Iowa.

Couple observations:
Man, that team could rebound!
22 turnovers and they still won.
The refs back then were part of the show. That one would jump in the air when he made a big call with wild exaggerated signals.
That was about as physical as a game could get.

Fun times.

Just watched that and what a great game. Two teams playing at a high level for sure, very physical, ton of intensity.

Exhausting to watch, and Mr. Davis looked worn out afterwards too. Can't believe Marble got away with shooting Horton's FT's, lol. Of course, Marble made just 1 of 2 and Horton may also have hit 1 of the 2 too, so we'll never know if that really changed the outcome.. Pretty crafty switcharoo, though.

Thought I may have spotted a young Acie Earl on the bench..

That Iowa team looked pretty impressive - not sure how they only managed 10-8 in the Big Ten that year, but the league was definitely a meatgrinder.

What happened: I was there in school and remember two things- the league was unreal talented and we did not play defense. It was stupid how many points we gave up.

As far as talent- so much that neither BJ or RM were first team all league. Eddie was though. Michigan won it all- Rice, Vaught, Mills, Robinson, Higgins, Taylor. Illinois was in the final four with Anderson, Bardo, Liberty, Gill, Battle. We beat both those teams.

That team's "underachievement" is what started the doubt in Mr. Davis. Lost in the second round with the best starting five he'd ever have. The next year we were 4-14.

What happened: I was there in school and remember two things- the league was unreal talented and we did not play defense. It was stupid how many points we gave up.

As far as talent- so much that neither BJ or RM were first team all league. Eddie was though. Michigan won it all- Rice, Vaught, Mills, Robinson, Higgins, Taylor. Illinois was in the final four with Anderson, Bardo, Liberty, Gill, Battle. We beat both those teams.

That team's "underachievement" is what started the doubt in Mr. Davis. Lost in the second round with the best starting five he'd ever have. The next year we were 4-14.

Thanks. Just looking at that roster and the team stats and then the big ten schedule and 2nd round exit...none of it made sense

I was 10. I remember Ray Thompson being ineligible for the NCAA tournament. I also remember Iowa being upset up at Wisconsin because I was at the game. Crowd stormed the floor in Madison

Actually I think Iowa was swept by Michigan that year - but I get your point.

That 2nd round loss was a heartbreaker. Iowa had NCST on the ropes both at the end of regulation, and the 1st OT, but NCST kept hitting last-second shots to force the game into another session. Darn you, Rodney Monroe..

As mentioned, Ray Thompson was out for the tournament. With him, I have to believe they at least make the Sweet 16 but not sure they get past G'Town. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember something about Thompson being eligible per NCAA and/or Big 10 standards, but the powers that be at Iowa forced him to sit out anyway. Thanks for that.

I was 10. I remember Ray Thompson being ineligible for the NCAA tournament. I also remember Iowa being upset up at Wisconsin because I was at the game. Crowd stormed the floor in Madison

I seem to remember a game that year @Minnesota where Marble hit a 3 that would've won it, but it was ruled too late. Not sure if it really was or not - would have to see a replay.

Latest posts