Class of 2013 recruits

AsicsFanatic

Here's my wishlist thus far:
Brandon Sorensen (Denver Tripoli) 3 x State Champ
Jake Marlin (Creston/Orient-Mackburg) 3 x State Champ
Jacyn Goebel (West Delaware, Manchester) 4th Place (182lbs 2012)
Adam Reth (West Delaware, Manchester) State Champ (195lbs 2012), 4th Place (189 lbs 2011)
Dean Broghammer (West Delaware, Manchester) 3rd Place (Hwt 2012)

The West Delaware kids I want for depth, plus it might help recruiting one if you go after all 3. I know there are others from out of state fans want, but I don't follow high school wrestling much beyond the Iowa borders.

Marlin is a kid that i can totally see translating to college and having a lot of success. Not to mention he'd probably be a 141 in college. that way w/ any luck Clark, Gillman and Marlin could all be in the line up at the same time.

Heres some out-state kids I hope Iowa looks at

Brooks Black- Blair Academy- #1 Heavyweight- going to be tough with him being from PA and Penn State needing a heavyweight

Brian Murphy- Glenard North,Ill- 157/165- 2 time illinois runner and fargo runner up- from same high school as Tony Ramos, wrestles with overtime club where Sam Brooks also trains

Ricky Robertson- Carl Sandburg,Ill- Illinois runner up at 170 and cadet freestyle champ- trains at Izzy style coached by Isreal Martinez and former hawkeye Rick Lorea

Domenic Abounader- St.Eds, Ohio-nationally ranked 8 at 182, state champion 160- wrestles for John Hefferman, made a visit to the Iowa room this fall

wouldn't sorenson be more of an ISU recruit? and I would think that Skonieczny would have the inside track on 141 ahead of marlin after a year in the iowa room.

I would be much more interested in getting Mattiace instead of Black out of Blair. Black would be a great heavyweight (he's about to become the 2nd ever 4x beast of the east champ) but he wouldn't see the mat until his sophomore year in 2015. Which I think will keep him from signing, hell be the top recruit in the nation, he will want to be a 4 year starter.

wouldn't sorenson be more of an ISU recruit? and I would think that Skonieczny would have the inside track on 141 ahead of marlin after a year in the iowa room.

I would be much more interested in getting Mattiace instead of Black out of Blair. Black would be a great heavyweight (he's about to become the 2nd ever 4x beast of the east champ) but he wouldn't see the mat until his sophomore year in 2015. Which I think will keep him from signing, hell be the top recruit in the nation, he will want to be a 4 year starter.

Sorenson is not related to the ones at ISU, they have no inside claim to him. As for Black it depend if he thinks he can beat Telford out of not, Telford beat out the big ten champ to get the spot as a freshman. Telford is not wrestling like a guy assured of a spot right now. Who is Mattiace?

I think Iowa has as good of a chance as any to sign Brooks Black or any top Heavyweight in next year’s class. Heavyweight is probably the biggest need weight for recruiting next year with Telford as the only big body on board. I’m sure Coach Brands would be prepared to offer a sizable scholarship to the right heavyweight recruit seeing that most if not all the other weights have solid options except for Heavyweight. Looking at Penn State’s roster, they really need a solid Heavyweight in this recruiting class. The only guys they currently have that could replace Wade next year are Gingrich, Ortega and Ruggear who aren’t exactly blue chippers. I don’t know if they have the scholarship dollars to spend this year but it seems having a Heavyweight as a hole for the team for two or three years if you redshirt Black is a very good approach. There are still some very solid heavyweights unsigned with Austin Georgan probably being the best that could have a definite impact on where the top heavyweights in next year’s class end up. If Black turns out to be as good as the hype, I can’t see him being too concerned with sitting a year behind Bobby. If he wants to be a national champion, he’s going to want the top competition in the room to help him develop and Bobby would be a great training partner for him his redshirt year. Telford’s a stud but Black very well could take the spot his redshirt freshman year and hold it all four years. Worse case, he doesn’t earn the spot his RSFR year and gets another year to develop behind Telford before becoming a three time national champ!

Sorensen would probably be a UNI recruit if he has any desire to wrestle with his teammates from HS, which has to be a large part of how he came along so fast(having Wolfensberger and Peters to go against is a definite advantage).

Who is Mattiace?

He is an undersized 195 but should spend next year as the top 195/220 in the nation he is very similar to other Blair recruits Iowa has brought in in the past (Perry, Evans, Balasco) in that he has very good mat skills, great defensive wrestler (good front headlock series, sits the corner well on headoutside shots) but he also wrestles very smart, less risky stuff on his feet and stays where he is comfortable on the mat, would really help to solidify the top half of the lineup and like Evans and Perry would be an imediate impact guy

I would like to see the hawks take a look at Brock berge of kasson mantorville Minnesota. he is a state champ and is a solid 195 lber. also his younger brother brady is a 7th grader at 106 and took Doug minor into the 2nd period tied 0-0 before getting pinned in the 2nd. that is his only loss this season. just throwing these guys out there for you to look at.

I have to assume the 106 pound 7th grader would be an undersized 125....

I kid of course. Another good name to look for as far as the distant future is Mark Hall from Apple Valley. My dream recruit would be Chance Marstellar (2014) from Kenard Dale PA, but I think he will end up with Cael

Chance grew up an Iowa fan, but is being converted with some of his friends at Penn State now. He wants to go to the OTC after high school.

Latest posts